SVT seems to be back 6 years after ablation.

Posted , 23 users are following.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this.I had an ablation for svt in 2008 where the cardiologist found 2 extra pathways and it seemed to have done the trick until now.Over the last few months I noticed a return of my symptoms which started with the odd flutter but seems to have got quite a bit worse the last 3 weeks or so.When I had svt before I normally had small short fairly frequent short episodes with the odd long one which lasted several hours.This time I am experiencing many small ones and in quick succession so i might have a few seconds,then the rhythm corrects then flutters again.I can have dozens of episodes in the space of half an hour for 2 or 3 hours and then nothing for several hours.I am wondering if anyone has had a recurrence of svt but of a different type as there are quite a few out there.As far as I remember the original problem was in the left side of my heart and was not of a life threatening nature.Have any of you developed a different type of svt or arrhythmia when it has recurred?Very grateful for any replies.

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi,  If it were me, I'd have another ablation as it is really hard to live with SVT.

I had 2 ablations, and I know folks who have had 3.  Not pleasant but hard to live with SVT.  Good luck.  Report back.

• Posted

Hi all,apologies for not replying sooner.I am still getting daily episodes but it has been very transient lately and only lasting a matter of seconds.I hope it doesn't get worse again as prior to my ablation I was on such a high dose of meds that I was like a zombie half the time and I found the experience of ablation awful as I was refused sedation and found the catheter going up through my groin very painful.Thanks for all your responses............x
  • Posted

Hi,

Yes, The ablation experience is different for everyone. I had 2, 1 for SVT , success, and the other for ectopics, failure. I was told they can put you almost asleep for a-fib ablations, but not for our type. I felt the catheter and EVERYTHING else! Not pleasant. But I would do it again if I thought they could rid my ectopics. No more SVT was sure worth. You are getting SVT again?  What is your heart rate during these episodes?  As long as it is not too high, over 200 or something horrible, I would wait and talk to your doctor. Oh why we all have to deal with our mis behaving hearts! I care, let me know.

• Posted

Well about a year ago I was having clusters of episodes in quick succession so maybe 4 or 5 in 3 hours or so where I could feel my heart thump(as is the case when an attack starts with me) and then race for a few mins.Originally before the ablation my rate during episodes was around 220 p/m so a bp monitor could not take a reading and I couldnt take my pulse.Lately it is not so bad and episodes last for seconds and again feels about the same speed.At the moment I can live with this as it is not affecting my quality of life to any real extent.If it does get worse as was the case months ago then I will be visiting the Dr.
  • Posted

ive had 4 Ablations, 23 cardioversions. was awake last ablation...horrible and awake with cardioversion and still my heart goes off on one. No cure for AFIB just restbite . my consultant says he will do again if AFIB comes back, im 60 and had Af 15 yrs after having ASD repair 30 yrs ago.
  • Posted

Hi, just been googling the same question & came across your thread. I had an AVNRT ablation approximately 5yrs ago which didn't exactly go to plan & I suffered what they called 2-1 block during surgery, surgeon told me he'd successfully ablated 4 but there was another 2 that he couldn't continue with because of the block. I've been fine up until last 6 months when I've had a few episodes of racing nothing like before as they used to last hours at 260 plus. Just wondering if you've been referred for another ablation ?

• Posted

I had my ablation in 2012, after 4 years and 3 months, my AVNRT returned at 252 beats per hour. I feel so sad and desperate to have this again. The EP doctor ablated only 2-3 cm from the coronary ostium. Im beginning to doubt the efficacy and safety of RFA. This could lead to heart blocks, diff SVT may arise, and many more. I hope theres another way to avoid its recurrence. I am going to try Magnesium, selenium, potassium, and metoprolol

• Posted

i had an ablation over 10 yrs ago. my heart got to the stage it was vibrating not beating as it was 289 a minute. very scary my chest felt like it was caving in i couldn't swallow and the pain between my shoulder blades was unbearable. apparently it wasn't life threatening disease. it was a heart attack pretty much. i was given two needles to slow it the first for so many seconds didnt help the second needle felt like i was dieing from my feet up slowly. i had an ablation my heart was not pumping enough blood my veins were collapsing. but now i have some problems with it stopping and starting but i am here to tell the story. i reckon the doctors need to chane the informaton given of svt as yes i was on the blink of death. so eventually i will go back and you should too before it gets unbareable

• Posted

Hi Lynette, not sure what type of svt you had, hope you are doing well now. I just had ablation 4 years ago and im not thinking of going any time soon. I think the root cause of svt is irritability of heart muscle so if i can lessen the amount of PACs then i can further lower my chance of having anothet run of svt. I am hoping to achieve this by taking IV EDTA chelation therapy for 20 sessions. If ever it happens again within the year then definitely ill opt for another ablation but for now i will try IV Chelation therapy. Take care
    • Posted

Hi Lynette, your experience sounds a lot like mine. Last week I was at work and I felt this feeling like I was all of a sudden falling, but I wasn't. Then my heart rate got to 240 and shortness of breath sand I felt like someone had their hands around my throats choking me to death. I've felt this way many times but always thought it was a panic attack. So I'd go home lay down until it went away in a few hours. But this time a customer had a pulse ox and checked heart rate.i drove to my Dr office  and  she sent me to hospital for an ekg and after they and immediately pushed me into emergency room. Couldn't get a pulse, practically turned me upside down on the bed after tarting an Iv. Then they did the valsalva maneuver three times and on third try it worked and heart rate went from 240 to 98. Now they sent me to a cardiologist and I'm having a stress est Monday and he wants me to have ablation. They put me on metaprolol extended release. I am 46years old and scared. I quit work now cause it was too stressful and very fast paced as I practically ran all day. Any words of advice or me?

• Posted

Dont get the ablation just yet especially if its just your first time. Ablation they said has a high cure rate but i doubt it. It will levae you with lotsbif ectopic beats eventually or worst you will end up with a pacemaker. Try something else first like supplements natural therapy or accupuncture
    • Posted

Your situation sounds like mine.. I had two really bad spells while at work. My heart raced to 230 bpm. I do in home healthcare. And couldnt even focus to check my bp. Once i saw it wouldnt register. I called ambulance. They came and had to give me the shots to bring heart rate down. That was some scary stuff. But worked.. problem resolved in ambulance. Hospital explained what it was and if i felt it again to call 911. Well it happened a few months later. Both at work. Both times i wasntnt exerting myself. Both times had to do the shots. So to avoid that i opted for ablation and its been over a year i havnt had a huge svt like that. I cant see how people can have them for hrs at a time. I thought i was going to die. Those shots were bad but glad they gave em to me. I recommend if yours continues then get the ablation.
  • Posted

Hi All and sorry I haven't been posting recently.Up until fairly recently my svt  had gone dormant again.At the moment it's not causing any big problems with the odd flutter now and then throughout the day which lasts just seconds.Two months ago it was worse(I hate xmas and find it all stressful so likely didnt help)with episodes every min and even several times throughout a min..firing off,correcting to normal after a few seconds then firing off again etc......so I went to my G.P and was pleasantly surprised that he believed me as so much online suggests the likelyhood of svt post ablation returning is so rare it isnt even documented.However seems things are done differently now and instead of referring me back to cardiology he filled out an ecg request card which I have in my purse and in the event of a bad episode should go to the cardiology clinic(up till 4pm)and have an ecg where it will be analysed there and then so they know the exact problem and location.I would rather wear a monitor though since svt can be so transient and we all know about making our way to the nearest hspital only to have heart rate go back to normal by the time we get there.So for now I havent been for a reading thus far.......x

• Posted

Hello there!

I am a 47 yrs old female. I had two ablations for SVT's. And about 4 yrs in between because it jept coming back. I know how you must feel.. I decided to look for another ekectrophysiologist to revise my case. He suggested medications. I tried most of them.. Rythmol, Metropolol, Sotolol, Level 4 antiarrythmia called Tykeson 1000mg a day and nothing. The doctor suggested a third ablation! I was hesitant however I went for it. Last night I did it. I am home now resting and see how its going to work! I have faith! I have prayed so much about this! People have no idea how it feels to have an episode of arrythmias! But I understand! Have no fear! Pray! Search for a good-highly rated electrophysiologist even if you have to travel far!

I hope you feel better!

• Posted

Hi I am a 55 year old woman had an ablation 6 weeks ago under sedation but was stopped due to my discomfort, I am awaiting a further one and am so worried as I have had a terrible time since the ablation and know I need this to work this time as I have no quality of life been off work for 6 months and almost confined to a couch 24/7 my problem is the ectopic heartbeats which I have almost all the time! How are you after your ablation I have taken a long time to recover and to go through it again so soon is filling me with dread! I also havent been told very much about what they found just thst I had lots of eptopics, I hope you have a speedy recovery and will update you on my next ablation.
    • Posted

Hi hope you are doing okay. Like you i am having ectopic beat every now and then but what i am trying now is to take magnessium supplements three times a day and everytime i feel an extra beat or skipped beats. I also tried to avoid foods that trigger it like soda processed foods with msg. The skipped beats will go away after the magnessium. If it happens more frequently take magnessium 3x a day and you can lower it in a good day. Atleast this way, i can avoid a rapid and persistent svt.
    • Posted

Hi 41m

I've noticed, reading lots of posts, that people are being recommended magnesium. Thats interesting because a few years ago, post ablation, and I was I A&E frequently to put heart rate back, one locum doc put me on high dose of potassium and magnesium for 5 days as she said bloods showed very low levels. She was the only doc who picked this up or the only one who mentioned it. Anyway I think I may pop to chemist and get try some. It can't hurt. Maybe it may help with these pesky ectopic.

I don't let them ruin my life but when I'm out walking the dogs they can sometimes make me a little breathless if I'm having a long but of them. so I'm conscious of them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.