Switching from Sertaline to Fluoxetine

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I have started going to a phyciatrist (haven't gone to one in a couple years) I have been on sertaline for years (since I was 10 but have been off it twice in the last 7 years only to get back on) my new phyciatrist thinks that prozac will suit me better. I suffer from general anxiety disorder along with obsessive compulsive disorder both of these revolve primarily around my health both mental and physical.

Because I will be making the switch I am extremely nervous. I also am nervous because the past few times I have gone up in my medicine i have suffered horrifying anxiety attacks with derealization, which I never experienced before until upping meds. My doctor wants me to go from 50mg sertaline to 40mg of fluoxetine which I think is equivalent to 100mg of sertaline I think. So I very scared that with switching and upping at the same time I will have another horrible axiety attack...does anyone have any advice?

I seem to feel fine aside from some slight ocd tendencies on 50mg sertaline...so I'm very worried that my body just doesn't need that much medicine.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Claire,

Does he plan to having you taper up to the 40mg? I think if you take 40mg straight up you will probably have side effects. I would recommend to start on 10mg and work up slowly.

• Posted

He plans on me switching directly from 50mg of sertaline to 40mg of prozac and I'm just concerned because thar seems like such a big jump and I'm super sensitive to medications. I also tend to monitor my health in situations like this so it's very hard for me.

• Posted

I agree id start on 10mg i started on 20 n was bedridden for 2 weeks anxiety was so bad and anxiousness. But in saying that i stuck it out and im 80% better now x
    • Posted

How long have you been on fluoxetine now, if there is general window of me feeling crappy and then feeling better? Also did you stay on 20mg or go up?
    • Posted

Im on 20mg ive been on it for 8 weeks now... im alot better then what i was although I still have some bad days
    • Posted

How bad were your side effects I'm getting ready for the worst, though that's probably not helping me feel any better worrying.

• Posted

Im not going to lie i told my mum i needed to go to a mental hospital n i was stuck in bed with fear. I didnt leave the house for 3 weeks. BUT it was worth sticking to im so much better now. You can do this
    • Posted

Last night had absolutely horrible derealization, but was able to calm down through talking to my boyfriend and parents. Just absolutely terrifying, today has been increased anxiety and mild derealization. I'm taking my fluoxetine in the morning with my vitamins (started them up again multi, b vitamins and turmeric cause Ive read they might help anxiety) along with 16oz of water and toast to keep my tummy hopefully from getting upset. I'm really hoping that over the next few weeks I'll start to notice some differences and not have to go up to 60mg.

• Posted

Just remember it will all soon go... Give yourself at least 4 weeks hunny. You can do this. I know it's scary and hard to deal with but it will all subside soon xxx I've been there and it gets better

• Posted

Today was really hard, major increased panic, nervousness and ended up breaking down and crying cause I got so freaked out and not feeling like myself. I've switched to taking my meds at night since they seem to bother my tummy a bit. ( or it might be my anxiety) I'm going to see my phyciatrist on Tuesday for a check up and to talk about my meds a bit more. This feeling of unease and panic is so hard...along with being tired all the time. Eating has been difficult as has drinking due to my nervousness and anxiety.

• Posted

Hi Claire, im going through something similar and i also take fluoxetine for severe anxiety and OCD. I totally understand what you're going through so you're not alone. It will be all worth it in the end but the first few weeks are SO hard. I had hideous derealization and my intrusive thoughts got out of hand. I'm here if you want to chat xx

• Posted

I think one of my big fears is my dose just feels so big to me. Even though I'm transitioning from 50mg of sertaline to 40mg of fluox (which I think is equivalent to 100mg of sertaline) I just am scared about all the side effects. This past week has been really hard. Getting ready to move meds and starting a new one. These past 3 days have been so hard.

• Posted

That is a really big transition. I feel for you sweetie. It would have made more sense to start on 20mg in my opinion? Im no doctor though. Cause you're having side effects and also withdrawing from sertraline. I hope you can get lots of help when you see your psych on tuesday ??

• Posted

Yea Im really hoping that I can figure something out with my doctor...I'll already be 5 days in so I don't know if I should just power through it. Or maybe ask to go down to 20mg instead and then move up to 40mg in a little while? I just feel so not like myself.

• Posted

Thanks, hoping my doctor understands my worries
    • Posted

Me too! If you've been feeling this awful im sure he will. He'll be able to reassure you too. Xx

• Posted

I've been told he's one of the best in my area and has been practicing for 30 plus years so hopefully he knows what I need to do to be more comfortable while I settle.

• Posted

Been there aggghhhhh it's horrible I know I'm on week 10 n still have crappy days N today is one of them

• Posted

Day 4 and woke up nervous and anxious, though I've been able to do some work (thank God I work from home). Last night I started to feel a bit like my old self, I find that happens most at night and my mornings are awful. I just want to be back to myself. This unknown anxiety and nervousness is so hard. I do find it helps my tummy to take my dose at night though...I just really want to even out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.