Ulnar Nerve or Cubital tunnel entrapment

Posted , 5 users are following.

Dr says I have cubital tunnel entrapment of the Ulnar Nerve.  He wants to do surgery, and at the same time do the carpal tunnel release.  I am hesitant because of the long recovery process.  He has told me at least 3 months because they believe taking it slow and methodical gives the best result.  I have looked for this discussion already and haven't been able to find any answers. Has anyone had these surgeries?  Success?  Unknown problems that may hinder the healing process?  I am single and support myself.  I would be devastated if I could not go back to work.  Both financially and mentally.  

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am supposed to have the same surgery due to ulnar nerve impingement in my L wrist. I was told it was a day surgery and the recovery was easy, just a few weeks.( Of course we are all different and different surgeons do it differently too). SO maybe explore different ways to do this? I am single and had to stay with a friend for a few weeks after a elbow replacement. I took time off work for awhile, then sought alternative ways to work to accommodate my healing arm. Most employers have to accommodate disabilities if its a reasonable request. It can be some kind of "light duty" until you are better. Do you get sick time or short term disability leave? These could be helpful here. I also found I got a lot of help from my church members when I asked for it, including some financial help. Let us know how you work it out!

• Posted

Hey there! Sorry to hear of your issues. I can totally relate!  I have surgery scheduled for this November 14th. My doctor told me 4-6 month recovery. I had a similar issue on my other arm a few years back but the surgery was far less intensive.   That surgeon just did a medial epicondylectomy. This surgery coming up will be relocating the ulnar nerve and release as well as cleaning up a tendon I did damage to. I’m so hesitant to be out of commission 4-6 months. Fortunately I have a desk job and will be able to continue working.   Last surgery the incision was only about an inch long. This time round he is saying 3-4 inches.   I really don’t know much about carpal tunnel.   I guess it would be best to have them both done at the same time. I wish you the best. Did you have an injury that led up to this?
    • Posted

I don't know of any injury. It's just been bothering me a long time and since I started riding my motorcycle a lot, and having to do a lot more repetitive stuff at work, it's made it unbearable.

• Posted

Oh yikes Annie!  I know I am dreading it and mine is just one area. I’m sure you’ll do great!  It’s better to get it all at once than two separate times for sure
  • Posted

Annie, how are you doing? Did you have the surgery? I have been dealing with cubital tunnel syndrome in both my arms since last November. I've gone the conservative route , had an EMG in each arm twice, and have used splints at night the last 45 days. I can't just keep my arm straight during the day, not all the time. I work for myself add my work involves driving, much use of mobile phone apps, and computer work. My work has pretty much ground to a halt . I am thankful my husband works and we have good insurance. It hurts for me to drive and steer the car , so I haven't been traveling to do work anymore and my income is way down.

I'm concerned about the surgery, too. I don't know what else to do at this point. Hoping you might have learned more by now. Forgive typos and lax grammar, please. I'm using speech to text on phone.

• Posted

I had my surgery Nov 14. I have to say the recovery has been a lot easier than expected. I started PT last week. The pain was very easily managed. I haven’t taken any pain Meds with the exception of ibuprofen in over a week.  I take a muscle relaxer to prevent spasms at night.   I had the ulnar nerve trans positioned and a clean up of a tendon with some damage.   My incision is about 4-5” Long. It feels better now than it did pre-op and I’m not even completely healed yet. I definitely recommend getting your issues repaired. So far I am very pleased with the results. Best wishes to you all!
    • Posted

Thank you for the update.  I have not had surgery.  I am going for a second opinion on January 22.  I did apply for and get FMLA and ADA at work so that I am able to avoid the parts of my job that exacerbate this.  I am encouraged to hear that you have relief.  I am hoping for some good news from a new doctor.  Even if he recommends surgery, he has at least ordered an xray before I go to see him.  The previous doctor did not want any sort of imaging, and that kind of scared me off.  I work in imaging and I would NEVER jump to surgery before at least having some sort of picture of the anatomy to review before coming to that conclusion.  I have seen too many people come in to get their xray or MRI days before scheduled surgery.  That in itself is bothersome, and I will not go that route.  Any number of things can cause what is going on, and just a simple exam and history isn't enough to prove to me that I need surgery.  

• Posted

Do you have help at home?  I am single and will be alone in this if I have surgery.  I want to find an easier way!!
    • Posted

I had my husband there to help me. Is yours on your dominant arm?  The hardest part was showering. Was hard to put the cast cover on. Mine wasn’t my dominant arm. Opening things was a bit difficult. 
    • Posted

Yes mine is on the left, my dominant arm.  The PT told me that most lefties have an easier time because we tend to be a little ambidextrous.  I have found myself using my right arm and hand a lot because of the pain that follows bending my left arm.  I am going to try to prepare ahead, get some things in opened containers that do not have to be sealed, and possibly get my long hair braided so I dont have to deal with that.  Get food in easy open containers and precut vegetables.  Wearing a bra will be impossible.
  • Posted

I have had these surgeries. And the 3 months is only to be at 100% but after 6 to 8 weeks you are able to use your arm and wrist just at a less then perfect amount such as weight bearing only you can work and care for yourself no problem you just won't be able to pick up more then 5 pounds with that arm for a bit other then that your ok and can care for yourself within a day or two after surgery too.

• Posted

Thanks for the replies.  It is my dominant arm, although I have problems with both arms, the left is worse.  I saw another doctor yesterday.  He is not convinced that it is all the problems that my first doctor said.  He wants an MRI of the elbow to see exactly what's going on in there, and another EMG test.  I told him what the first EMG dr told me "the arm having some numbness is normal" so I am going to a different Dr for the EMG.  I am having the MRI today.  This doctor does not want to diagnose me before he can see some evidence.  He did some pushing, pulling, etc. on my arm and said that he did not think it was my elbow.  He thinks it MIGHT be from carpal tunnel and the pain, numbness and tingling can go up into the elbow.  I told him that I had ACD&F surgery on my neck in 2012, and that my recent MRI on that area showed a minor issue below the surgical site, but not usually enough to be of real concern.  He said "interesting" and stated that the area indicated affects the parts of my arm and hand that I am having the issues.  So I am not only getting more thorough testing, I think I have more questions than answers at this point.  I am certainly glad I didn't jump into surgery with the other doctor and find out afterward that it wasn't what I needed.

• Posted

Current update: I am going to see a surgeon on the 26th. My hand has significant loss of strength and my fingers are stiffening. Looks like surgery is my only option now.
  • Posted

So update, My MRI showed that I have damage to my Lateral extensor tendon in my left elbow, NOTHING about the ulnar nerve.  And reading up on this the most common treatment is rest and time.   Surgery is a last resort and it does not involve the ulnar nerve.  I am so glad I did not jump into surgery with the first Doctor.  Monday is my 2nd EMG and I will see if it has the same results as the one I had last July, or better or worse.  
  • Posted

Tuesday I had surgery on my elbow. I'm hoping it will be good but I am in a lot of pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.