Update on my failed Urolift

Posted , 22 users are following.

See my "What if my Urolift fails" discussion.

Had my Urolift back in March and it made my flow worse. My Urologist suggested a Bipolar TURP and I said no because I still enjoy sex and knew that some TURP procedures can result in retro-ejaculation (RE). I had told this doctor I was OK with my flow and thought my problem was OAB. He prescribed Mybetriq and it helped me a lot for about six months then stopped working. My flow tests showed I had a problem even though I told him I was urinating fine. I trusted him with doing a Urolift thinking it might help but it made me worse. He suggested I get a second opinion and I took his advice.

I went to another Urologist (he uses the Rezum procedure) on 8/12/2019 and showed him my medical records and asked him about removing the Urolift clips inside my Urethra. He that might make things worse and said I had more than one problem and that it made it difficult to treat. He said that I have an over-active bladder and now some blockage from the Urolift and a small be enlarged prostate. He recommended that we try and treat one at a time or both at the same time. He prescribed Tolterodine 4mg cap (Detrol) for my OAB and Dutasteride (Avodart) for my prostate. I decided to try one at a time since if I had side effects I would know which one is causing it, so I decided to work on my OAB with Tolterdine since I suspected that was a problem I have had for many decades. Since Mybetriq helped me a few years ago maybe Tolterdine might help. I can live with the flow from the failed Urolift for now and later might try Dutasteride to see if it might help me more,

For now my second opinion Urologist suggested trying medicine for 6 weeks or more and if that did not help then he would look at other options like Rezume. I will update this in the future.

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Suggest you get as many opinions as you can. When more than one or two agree that would be it. It's your life not the doctors.

• Edited

For all you guys who are scared to death of retrograde ejaculations, I found this on the internet: "In retrograde ejaculation, the bladder sphincter fails to contract. Because it stays relaxed, the ejaculate ends up in your bladder. The result is what's called a dry orgasm. Despite the lack of ejaculate, it feels like a normal orgasm and doesn't usually affect sexual pleasure."

It does, however, impair your fertility. But if getting someone pregnant isn't desired, it's not really a problem.

• Edited

Gotta disagree with this. I got RE immediately after taking just one Flowmax pill, then had it again after the uro switched me to Rapaflow. I stopped taking both, and the problem immediately went away.

But in terms of sexual pleasure, the difference was huge. Instead of an orgasm, it was a wave of nausea. I had no idea what was happening, as I'd never heard of RE before that, and the uro didn't tell me to expect it as a side effect of the drugs. All I knew was that instead of a regular orgasm, sex was ending with a wave of nausea. Maybe it's not the same for everyone, but it definitely was like that for me.

• Edited

You have to experience RE and I can tell you that for me it is not a good orgasm. I am too old to want babies but some sexual pleasure is important to me and I am sure for some seniors. I guess some people have to make a decision about a good orgasm or urinating problems when dealing with this issue.

• Posted

'He said that I have an over-active bladder and now some blockage from the Urolift'

I don't understand how the Urolift is causing a blockage. I thought the procedure was supposed to 'pull back' the offending tissue which is causing the blockage.

I am currently waiting for this procedure. When I discussed it with the consultant, some 20 months ago now, he said that the worst thing which could happen is nothing. i.e., if it didn't work then I would be no worse off.

• Posted

For me Urolift I had in March made me worse for flow and now have a sensation in that area that is hard to explain. I personally think sometimes the clips/anchors cause puckers in the Urethra and make for obstructions that make things worse. Apparently your Urologist did not tell you that sometimes an Anchor could end up in your bladder and it would have to be removed. Of course they now try to not put the clips close to the bladder to avoid this happening.

I now wish I had focused more on getting the over-active bladder (OAB) better with medicine before the Urolift since I was OK with my flow, but my Urologist seemed to want to improve my flow. Taking Myrbetriq for OAB helped me most for about six months.

I went to another Urologist this week for a second opinion and he said the patients with OAB and Urethra obstruction were the hardest to make better. HE said any attempt to remove the Urolift clips in the Urethra could make things worse, so he suggested trying Tolterodine for my OAB first and then if that works then try Dutasteride for my prostate since the Urolift did not help. That is what I am going to try now and if medicine does not help my OAB then I do not know what I will do. My flow is not as good as it was before the Urolift but I can live with my flow.

Hope this information helps in your decision.

• Posted

He's wrong. I had mine last year and now I have blood in my pee and symptoms are worse. Doctors solution is up my medication. They won't remove the implants and its causing bleeding and he wants to do Rezume now but I declined.

• Posted

My urolift failed. It was done around the bladder neck with clips at 10 o clock, 2 o clock and 6 o clock. A recent flexible cystoscopy shows the prostate has pushed the bladder neck up around the 6 o clock urolift tag on either side shutting off the flow again. I am now awaiting a TURP to deal with that. He did offer more urolift clips in but as I am still in pain from the last lot (10 months ago) I said no more clips.

• Posted

So sorry to hear about your Urolift experience as you know about mine. My Urologist wanted to do an old Bipolar TURP and I refused and now have another Urologist treating me with medicine. I am glad you said no more clips like I said no to a Bipolar TURP on top of the failed Urolift. I have felt all along that my problem was an overactive bladder and so I am going to focus on that.

You might look around an find another Urologist for a second opinion like I did.

• Edited

It seems the more I read on this site, the more Urolift failures I read about. My advice "DON'T HAVE A UROLIFT PROCEDURE WHATEVER YOU DO. IT SEEMS THE FAILURE RATE IS FAR GREATER THAN 50%." Please write if you feel I am wrong!!!

• Posted

Since I am one of those I will AGREE that I am probably one of those greater than 50% Urolift failures. I called the company in California that developed the Urolift and let them know it failed for me.

From what I have learned with this Urolift problem and the patient info on this site, I would be sure that I have given medicine a chance first, and be sure whether it is an over-active bladder problem or a prostate problem you need help with. I am one of those that have both and right now I am going to focus on my OAB problem. I have been taking Tolterodine for my OAB for about 3 days and already feel my frequency and volume is getting better. Now I just have to see how bad of any side effects I might have.

• Posted

Jim, I'm sorry you're having so many problems because of your procedure. Good luck to you.

• Edited

So, hello to everyone reading this. I know this is an older discussion but wanted to add my 2 cents and share my experiences. I am 68 and had 6 Urolift implants placed in 2019. My nightmare started with Urolift. Post implantation, I developed recurrent UTIs, a "sticking "sensation in the left lower abdominal area occasionally when I walked and intermittant bleeding when I urinated. This sticking sensation would most often be followed with bloody urine. I needed to have 2 seperate trips to the operating room for explantation of a few of the clips. I continued with monthly bleeding. Today I am 8 days post op from Holep done at Mayo. I am better than I ever was after Urolift. I fired my old urologist. I recommend Mayo whole heartedly. How many people here were awake for their Urolift? My experience was nothing less than a freakish horror.

• Posted

i too had a failed urolift August 2021 and have had to catheter 4-5 times a day since. i personally know 7 men who have had failed urolifts . Plain and simple this procedure should be outlawed. Went for a second opinion and long story short I had a TUIP yesterday . My new dr. said my uretha was blocked and thinks this will help. My new dr. said he he would not do a urolift because it fails 50% of the time . So far I have peed about 4 times today but have swelling and i am still catherting because Im not voiding completely. As the swelling goes down I hope things improve. My advise to any guy who is recommended a urolift by his dr. to never go back.

• Posted

Stuart,

Thank you for posting this...

4 years ago i had the Urolift procedure.

The procedure failed almost immediately. During the procedure my urologist was training to do this procedure. He misfired the first clip. His instructor took over. After years of recurring bleeding, prostatitis, UTI's, Mirbetric and antibiotics. This evening i decided to look up Urolift complications and i saw your post. I want to get these clips out of me. I don't trust my urologist anymore. Could you tell me who the physician you used at the Mayo clinic and what location.

Thank you,

Chuck

• Posted

Which Mayo Clinic location are you looking at ? I go to the one in Jacksonville Florida.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.