Update... Still getting yellow balls in stools [with images]

Posted , 212 users are following.

Hello everyone,

If you've seen my previous discussion from last year, you will know I was having problems with undigested food, strands of fibre and these yellow balls in my stool.

After eliminating dairy and going vegan once again, the symptoms cleared up for a bit. However, after a couple months, the strands of fibre and yellow balls have come back!

I'm once again worried about these yellow balls - they're a bit hard to touch, but squidgy and semi-solid in the middle (it's not sweetcorn - the balls are bigger, plus I haven't eaten any in the past week to rule this out anyhow). They appear more so when my stools are harder but can also appear in soft stools.

Is anybody experiencing similar symptoms or does anyone have any ideas about what these could be?

Pictures are below.

3 likes, 280 replies

280 Replies

Next
  • Edited

It could be something you are eating which is causing your stools to move through you too fast? Try eliminating dairy and try the vegan diet again to see if your symptoms go away. Try a food diary. Have you had any tests down?

• Posted

Hello Pippa - as I said in the post, I'm already vegan again, so there's no possibility that it's dairy.

I also tried gluten free and low FODMAP diets for a couple weeks each, but still, no help unfortunately.

I have asked the doctors a few times but they won't give me stool sample tubes, they just dismiss me and say it's perfectly normal; that my IBS is just flaring up.

May have to try chasing it up again... Thanks for the response!

• Posted

You need to try Low Fodmap for a month to find out if it is working. Two weeks is not enough. Your symptoms are normal for IBS, especially the yellow stools. Food moving through you too fast is an IBS symptom and this can cause yellow stools. Your doctor is right and is not dismissing you.Accept your doctor's advice that your IBS is flaring up. Stool colour change is a common feature of IBS. You are not being offered a stool test because your doctor likely believes nothing will show up. When you have IBS, all tests will be negative. When you have IBS symptoms you don't understand, it is common to believe you have something else. If your doctor thought you had something else, he would have offered you tests. The fact that he hasn't is good news for you and is a sign your doctor is confident that your IBS is the culprit.

My best advice is to relax as much as possible, distract yourself with things you enjoy and try light exercise to take your mind off your stomach. I wouldn't keep trying to chase up test after test; this will keep your IBS in flare up mode. Diagnosis acceptance and trusting your doctor really helps to control your symptoms. Remember, your doctor is the expert!My IBS is in remission because, I accept my diagnosis trust my doctor, and I try to keep as stress free as possible.

Persevere with the Low Fodmap Diet for a month with the help of a dietician and also try a food diary. Sometimes you have to keep changing your diet to keep up with your IBS symptoms. It is all trial and error. Keep trying different approaches to your IBS. When one solution stops working, don't worry; simply try something else.

• Edited

I created my account just to reply to you in hopes to save some ones life. My mother was 36 when her doctor told her she had IBS. He refused to do any tests on her because according to him she was too young to have anything serious. He told her for two years it was IBS as the cancer grew inside of her. After those two years my father rushed her to the ER and the doctor in the ER said, "If you didn't bring her in tonight she would have not survived. " she lost so much blood internally that she needed multiple bags. It turned out she had a giant tumor in her colon the size of the doctors 2 fists put together that had been growing for over 10 years. She was in stage three colon cancer. A lot of people dismiss others, especially doctors, by saying it's IBS when they can do simple tests like colonoscopies to find out if it's something more serious. And I wanted to share this so the person above, or anyone else reading this, is not discouraged and have others downplay their symptoms. People know their bodies best. I think everyone needs to listen to their instincts and if they're not getting the care they want from the doctors there with currently, get a second, or even third opinion.

• Posted

no this is not ibs. irritable bowel syndrome normally appears with sever constipation or diarrhea for an extended period of time normally involving blood and can come with pain to the abdominal area it should not cause yellow blobs. dont wry its not worms or cancer because normally cancer has bleeding inside the colons which can cause oily black tar like stools so it's most likely you swallowing mucus and that getting digested and being put in your poop it can also have a fiberous form so rather than telling the doctor about the blobs themselves tell him other symptoms and the form of the stool to get a more direct answer

• Posted

may i ask what is your mother's symptoms at that time? thank you

• Posted

can swallowing excsseive mucus cause mucus in stool??

• Posted

I was bleeding on and off and had diarrhea for over 2 years. finally switched doctors. after 4 months of straight liquid bloody stools 3 different stool samples and the dr arguing with me about all the pictures I'm showing her look like food and I need to make sure that I'm not making it up I need to stop eating so fast or straining too much. I finally got in for all to go see a GI doctor and found out that I had over 50 colon polyps that were pre-cancerous along with a hiatal hernia. now I have to see an oncologist and a genealogy counselor. im 32

• Edited

i literally cried reading your response. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I might not have colon cancer like your mom, but I definitely have something else going on with my digestive system or rectum or colon - or anything else in that area lol - besides IBS. I've had it for over 10 years & I've NEVER had one of these blobs in my stool until a couple weeks ago & now they are in every single bowel movement I pass. I also have had severe anal itching for 2 months now because of how much more I am pooping, & a few months ago I had a nice amount of blood in it for a week straight, but then it just stopped. & now I am experiencing these new things. so yeah, definitely not an IBS flare up! I've experienced those for 10 years & this is NOT that. also, i talked to my mom & she actually had those weird blobs in her stool for a few weeks until she just told her doctor she wanted to test her poo because of her symptoms & they listened, did the tests & discovered she had some kind of bacterial infection that was causing the blobs. she took antibiotics & they went away. but everyone's body is different & therefore, their bodies may be showing the same symptoms but with a different issue going on. like doctors sometimes say "it could be multiple things causing these symptoms" ! so thank you again for sharing your story! I knew I wasn't crazy for thinking that something is wrong.

• Posted

im having very similar symptoms. were you able yo get any answers?

• Posted

Hi like some of the users below i made an account just to toot my horn.

i too was told it's "just ibs" blankety blank is rare. well blood test and endoscopy i had Celiac's.. then about a few years later my gallbladder was removed after the same gastroenterologist insisted it was IBS. my pcp sent me for an ultrasound. my gallbladder was double the size of a normal one- we only found out after it was removed. I didn't have normal symptoms- no vomiting. Just yellow stool, malabsorption, occasional pain when eating a fatty meal but something felt "full and wrong". It wasn't IBS it wasn't celiac related pain. i don't actually have ibs.

• Edited

Have you been checked for gall stones? Either that or do you eat chick peas?

• Posted

Never been checked for gall stones actually - I guess this can't be ruled out. I do eat chickpeas every now and then, but I hadn't eaten them at all during last week.

• Edited

i sighned up for this site just to answer your question lol they look like gall stones. I am in the middle of bouts of pancreatitis with chrohns disease. do you have pain in your upper right stomach ribcage area?

• Edited

I have been having these same things in my stool on and off for years now. I do not have a gallbladder and mine were even sent to a lab to see if they were gallstones. They're not. Had a colonoscopy last year and they couldn't fine anything except for diverticula so they diagnosed me with IBS. When I am having severe digestive and stomach issues I see these things in my stool. Still have no idea what they are.

• Edited

I have the same things, but had gallbladder removed 43 years ago.

• Posted

i just had one of those things just one ant i dont eat corn or peas and stuff

• Posted

I doubt it is gallstones. I had my gallbladder removed five months ago and I have these in my stool as well. I found this forum by googling.

• Posted

i have the same things that she has coming out of my stool and i also have the pain you speak of in my upper right ribcage... what could this be?

• Posted

i am sorry but gallstones have a more greenish color and tends to be more choppy then this

• Posted

they are most likely just globs of sealed up mucus that is being swallowed or it could be your stomach while having issues packages up nutrients it cant digest into a package similar to how baby birds do

• Posted

my husband has diverticulitis with IBS. he has had several colonoscopies and CT scans that did show one or two polyps which were removed. he watches his diet for closely to avoid a diverticulitis flare up, but it's not 100% effective. he knows when he is about to have a diverticulitis flare when he his gut starts to cramp really bad and then starts passing what he could only describe as what looks like chic peas. he does not eat chic peas, nuts, seeds, lettuce or broccoli as these foods often trigger the flare up and infection. he told his doctor about finding these before and all the doctor said is that he has never had any patient describe what he has seen and dismissed it. he started having another flare up 2 days ago and sure enough, started passing these small balls that look like a chic pea. i work in the medical field and not grossed out at such stuff so i told him to scoop one out and I'll check it out. I gloved up and started inspecting this thing. It was spongy, but had a firm "shell" that was not easily opened. it took some pressure but I was able to pop it open. it was filled with a spongy white core. the shell regained its shape after the core popped out. the white stuff looked like a small curd of cottage cheese (which my husband does not eat). I pressed on it and it was quite spongy but it did break apart and smeared on my gloved fingers. it had the odor of infection! i examined the shell again, pressing hard and rubbed it between my thumb and forefinger and it began to break apart. i wish now i had taken a picture of it. if he passes any more, which he usually does when he has an active infection, ill have him scoop a few up to take to his doctor and one to take pics of me dissecting one. LOL

• Posted

Can you update if you figure out what it is?

• Posted

Hi have you found out what causes the yellow balls in your stool?

do you notice you see them only when having diarrhea?

• Posted

if they sent the ball or balls to the lab you should have had a result or pathology report of what they

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.