Weaning off Bisoprolol after a year on it.

Posted , 7 users are following.

hello. i plan on stopping Bisoprolol soon. as i do not want to rely on this medication forever.

i am on 5mg. 2.5 morning and 2.5 night.

i have inappropriate sinus tachycardia but its not too severe.

before i started Bisoprolol in January my resting heart rate was between 90-101. whilst on Bisoprolol my Resting HR is 80. a couple of weeks ago i stopped taking it (weaning off over a couple weeks)

my heart rate has never been so high! i thought i was going to die and couldn't stop shaking with fear.

am i going to have to stay on this forever? i feel hopeless and don't know what to do 😦

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Edited

What was the reason you took the biso for?

I was taking it for SVT. I had to abruptly stop it to have an attempted ablation. All I can say is that you were very smart weaning off. I was told to just stop it. Terrible withdrawals and anxiety

• Posted

hello, amazing to hear from you! I was on it for sinus tachycardia. (elevated heart rate) side effects were too much.

i dont know if ill ever get over this withdrawal. did you? my heart rate is higher than ever. higher than before i started the BBs. is this normal? x

• Edited

so basically i have bad a fast heart rate since the age of 18 (now 26) Dr's didnt know why and i have a 24 ecg done which showed my average HR to be 101, low of 88 (in my sleep) and a high of 160 (adrenaline rush in the morning) unfortunately its something i get every morning 😦

in January this year i was admitted to hospital after my pulse was 172 lying in bed, i was taken into resus and they gave me a drip to see if that would lower my heart rate and it didn't. they eventually gave me a 1.25 Bisoprolol which took my pulse to 98.

in March i had a heart scan which showed my heart is structurally ok! that was reassuring but i dont know what damage the high pulse is doing as i cant have a scan everyday.

i have been on it since January but I'm now taking 5mg.

a couple of weeks ago, i went from 5mg to 2.5 then to 1.25 and then i quit but i became insanely anxious, my legs were shaking, i was exhausted and i couldn't sleep! my heart rate didnt go below 95, my partner took me out for a drive and my HR walking back from the car (which is only 2 mins) was 164. i freaked out as this never happened from walking before i started the Bisoprolol.

i am absolutely terrified i am going to have to stay on this drug forever as it's ruined my body. i really don't know what to do.

i had to start taking them again as i thought the withdrawals were going to kill me.

im not taking 2.5 in the morning and 2.5 at night.

i would absolutely love to come off them but I'm scared my heart will NEVER settle and I'll either have a heart attack or develop heart failure or tachycardia induced cardiomyopathy.

help me please ❤️

• Posted

Maxine,

Your story is my story withdrawals.

Except I just stopped it as I mentioned my doctor said it would be ok.

I had to stop 5 days prior to my attempted ablation. I remember trying to walk from the car to the hospital , and my legs were complete jelly. I seriously did not think I could makes it. And that went on for a very long time.

The thing was is that at the time I didnt know it was withdrawals. I thought it was just anxiety.

So I went to my gp and he gave me klonopin and trazadone. Stupid me for not researching these drugs.

I took them for 18 months and had the grueling task of having to very slowly wean off both.

It was the worst time of my life. Weaning took about 9 months. And after that time I went through protracted withdrawal too.

If I had only realized that my symptoms were from abruptly stopping the biso, I would have gone through this.

The anxiety and physical things I went through were the same as you. Not sure which was worse, but those crazy shaky and jelly legs were just awful.

Probably adrenoline

Why doctors tell you there are no withdrawals with biso, I just can not understand. It got to the point that I stop saying anything.

• Posted

I'm not sure its SVT. i think a lot of my inappropriate sinus tachycardia is caused my anxiety. in sorry you went through all that! i just hope i can survive this. I feel like death, im not even going to bother the hospital as they just tell me to continue the medication which im trying to get off..

• Posted

Please read my reply to Maxine.

If you mean withdrawal from the benzo and trazodone, that was a very long process. It took me approx. 9 months wo wean off, but the protracted withdrawal after that went on for about 1 1/2 years

|Not sure whether thats what you are asking

• Posted

lolasmom

ive read so many of your posts. im feeling desperate. i weaned off Propranolol (changed to Atebelol hakf way) over five months. ivwebt from 15mg x 1 per day to 5mg. im conpletely stuck. im sweating, burning , freezing with feekibg really really sick. i want to resume tapering but its like cutting off limbs. can you offer any advice? my last cut was 50 days ago abd i feel terrible! 

• Edited

Cathrine,

I know how you feel. Please believe that.

I think the most important advice I can give is

Patience and time. I know that does not help in the moment, but it really is true.

I refused to never stop weaning down, though many mornings, I truly did not know what to do with myself......BUT, I just kept telling myself that this will end.And it does.

Have you done your weaning with your doctor ?

I did but he wasn't much help. Doctors do not have a clue what people go through. So I just stop mentioning it.

There is a great podcast from a gentleman in the US. His name is D. I used to listen to him every week when he put out a new postcast on withdrawals and protracted withdrawals

I f I mention the name, it will cancel this email

Try checking into it

Contact me anytime

• Posted

thank you!

i have had torment with getting off other drugs including Clonazepan, Gabapentin, Seroquel and now Atenolol. my psych gave me the beta blocker because the Seroquel was causing cardiac issues. i hate the side effects so decided to reduce my dose from 20mg to now 7mg over five months. i have been living a tortured existence since tgen (10 months since i started and 5 months since i last cut). i am shocked at the severity of this withdrawal. feels as bad as the benzo wd or the Antipsychotic. my doctors just keep saying its my original anxiety. but i know its not that. most days i wake up feeling anxious abd sick. i feel like there is battery acid in my veins. hot and freezing. i am afraid of how long this is taking. i am still on 7mg and i dare not taper again until i feel OK. any advice appreciated

• Posted

Hi

Thank you for your response. It is now five months since my last tiny reduction and I am still very sick. I still have a quarter pill to go (7mg Atenolol), but too sick to even try. Im feeling hopeless. Am i allowed to speak to you outside of this forum or not?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.