Will fluoxetine work for me again?

Posted , 22 users are following.

I was on fluoxetine before for a few years and it worked well. I came off of it like a year and a half ago and only recently decided to go back on it again. I have been on it for just over 3 weeks so far and it's not helping me at all yet. I'm getting worried that maybe it won't work this time around. When i started it 3 weeks ago i would get waves of feeling normal which lasted only a few minutes but now i'm just feeling indifferent and have been for the last two weeks.

0 likes, 222 replies

222 Replies

Next
  • Edited

yes, it will....... just give it time..... and dont think in weeks, more like months...second time around for me took much longer than the first. I started back on 20mg and I have felt no need to increase the dose at all...... the side effects were quite brutal restarting on 20, but slowly improved after about 16 weeks. hang in there!!!

• Posted

did you notice yourself slowly getting better each week or did you only start improving after 16 weeks?

• Posted

I have to say, the first 8 weeks on it were absolutely brutal.... but by about week 12 I started to notice some of the side effects fading very slightly, and sleep was improving a little. By about 16 weeks I started to notice my mood had improved a bit and knew i just needed to keep taking it and do therapy and resume my life..... it was a very hard first 6 months for me, but i also had a lit of life changes going on at the time also.... i kept a journal for about 9 months or so of all my symptoms and things related to the drug to measure where i was at and how far i had come.

I still have bad days, like recently, when one of my beautiful pups was run over and killed right in front if me 3 weeks ago.... it sent me into a tailspin of emotions and not sleeping and panic and anxiety..... fortunately My therapist will see me most days, and so i think because of the therapy my life resumed to homeostasis a bit faster than if i did not see anyone. IMO, therapy is essential when also being on and type of mind drugs.

• Posted

its so hard to be patient when you're feeling this low. I'm sorry about your dog that must of been tough. i know this medication can help me though as it did in the past but theres always that worry in the back of your head that maybe it wont work this time. i remember last time it did take a long time before it worked

• Posted

Same hereI was on fluoxetine for about 12 years went off for about a month ' havent felt the same as i did before on it I'm going to keep on it I'm only on 20 mgs but my psych doctor wrote me a script for Xanax to help me thru the anxiety that I've been having. I'm hoping that I can feel as good as I did before

I'm going to stay on it & hope for the best

GOOD luck to you!

• Edited

Hello

I have been on fluoxetine before, and like you came off them, I had a lot of illness in the middle of the year, I new that the feelings I had were signs of depression, so I was put on fluoxetine, just like you I would have a glimse at the light at the end of the tunnel, but then go back to having low mood, I have been on 20m increased to 40m Friday week ago, I then had the bad side effects again, like no apetite or sleeping.

I have been on the fluoxetine for 5 weeks next Tuesday, and each day I am getting signs of feeling better, I just think that 4-6 weeks is for some people but for others it takes longer, you will start to feel better but it does take time, I am enjoying my food and sleeping better, and feeling more positive about everything, but I am not out of the woods yet, but because it worked before we need to give it time.

• Posted

Yeah i remember the last time it took a long time to work as well so i guess i just need to be patient. Thats good that you are improving. i will stick it out and give it enough time to work.

• Posted

Today has not been such a good day for me, I didnt feel much like food, and bit of low mood, its horrible when you have a good day and then not a very good one, you feel a bit like back to square one, few side effects today.

I was on this drug for a number of years but two years ago Doctor wanted me to try slowly to come off, it was the worst thing I ever done.

How long did it take you last time to feel better, because it was so long ago I cant remember, but I think it was a while, I just hate these one day ok next day not, but I have spoken to many people and they have been the same.

So I will just keep battling on.

• Posted

I think it definitely took over two months anyways, probably longer than that. I was in a hospital for a month for my anxiety/depression when i first started it. I was on it for like 4 years and then i came off of it cold turkey so you can imagine how much suffering i caused myself by doing that. You say you increased from 20 mg to 40 mg a week ago? I've read that a dose increase is the same as starting all over again so that might be why you are feeling bad again.

• Posted

Yes you are probably right about the increased dose, but Thursday and Friday I felt pretty good, the low mood had lifted and I was able to eat and enjoy some food and started to sleep better, but Friday night I didnt sleep well and I could tell that the low mood and the fuzzy head had come back,

Last night I hardly slept at all, and for two days have felt very down, no appetite, and not really interested in anything.

Now when I have a good day It scares me to what will follow.

I cant remember being like this the last time I was on it, but the Doctor did say to me that you will still get some days when you dont feel so good.

• Posted

I started off on 20mg too and went up to 40mg nearly 4 weeks ago. When i first went up to 40mg i felt good for a few days like you as well. In the last week i've started having sleep issues as well. I guess going through all this will give us a lot of patience.

• Posted

I think you are the same as me, its strange how you get a good day and then have the low mood again, its a horrible feeling makes me not interested in anything, last night I did sleep a bit better, but still wake up a few times, I thought today was going to be a good day as yesterday evening I felt a little better, but this morning not so good, I feel nervous and shaky,

How long have you been taking Fluoxetine now, its 5 weeks tomorrow for me, most people I have spoken with dont seem to get better in 4-6 weeks like the info states, until this drug is fully in the system I think this is why each day is different.

I want each day to be a good day, and just to feel motivated to do something.

• Posted

im only counting the days that ive been on the 40mg dose because a dose increase is just like starting the medication all over. ive been on the 40mg for 27 days. i read that weeks 2-3 are the worst. Im in my third week now and im definitely feeling worse for wear.

• Posted

what a pity that you are not feeling so good, its so up and down, I cant remember being like this last time, but as its years ago, I probably cant remember.

This morning I dint feel so good but then I could slowly feel the mood lifting, and had some lunch and a meal tonight, but who knows what tomorrow will bring, every day is different.

i think the illness in itself is stressful, and that makes us anxious, I keep saying you will get better just to remind myself, very hard though.

I hope you start to feel better soon, I had awful side effects the very next day on the increased dose, I am still shaky, but I can cope with that, its when I cant eats the worst it messes the whole body up.

• Edited

I hope you will get better soon too. I remember the last time i went on fluoxetine it was like this as well. It just takes time for it to work. Here's a timeline of recovery that i found whilst browsing through this forum.

So I found this online when I was looking into the same questions as you regarding timeline.

Note : I did not write this I got this off another website however sharing to maybe help you and others out.

Week 1: This week can go either way. Some find almost immediate improvement while other see the side effects (see weeks 2-3) after the first day.

Weeks 2,3: These are almost always the most difficult. Anxiety and depression can get worse than before the medication. Side effects kick in, these can include sleeplessness, nightmares, diarrhea, nausea, hot flashes, excessive sweating (especially at night), dry mouth, muscle twitches, overall muscle weakness and pain, zero appetite, and very negative mental outlook. My advice is, take these one day at a time and try not to get discouraged, not every day will be bad and better times are ahead!

Weeks 4,5: Some improvement. The side effects lessen to some point, and there are moments when you start to feel normal. Typically evenings are the best and mornings the worst. Many start playing around with dosage at this point because they are told that the Prozac should be working, my advice: hold the course!

Weeks 6,7: More improvement. Maybe 50% to 70% better than before starting. There are often blips where you feel just terrible for a few days, but not usually over a week. Some side effects lessen, but also you may get new side effects. Hang in there, you are getting ready to turn a corner!

Weeks 8-10: Even more improvement. There still are blips, but they are less severe and shorter, maybe 1-2 days. Not normal yet, but getting better day by day. The side effects are usually 75% or so gone. Light at the end of the tunnel!

Weeks 10-12: Maybe this is wishful thinking for me (I'm not here yet), but this is where most see the best results. Some quotes from this time period: "best in months", "Amazing", "Feel good", "brilliant". Again, this is for the people for whom the prozac did work, not everyone, and for those who stuck to their original dosage. For some, this happens at 7 weeks, for some, 3-4 months. But, from what I have read, 10-12 weeks is the payoff time.

• Posted

That is brilliant, I try to keep a diary of each day, but that is very interesting.

Do you go to work, I would never be able to cope with that.

Yesterday was good after lunch, and this morning I feel not to bad, so will just keep going along until I am 100% and can enjoy life again, like wanting to go out places, even if just for a meal, thats what I miss, just sat about all day, but I try to do a few jobs just to keep me going throughout the day.

This time of year doesnt help us.

keep me updated with how you are.X

• Posted

I'm out of work too because of all this. We seem to be in the same boat. I will keep you updated. Keep me updated too.

• Posted

How are you feeling today, how many weeks have you been on the fluoxetine, yesterday was five weeks for me, and almost two weeks on the 40m.

I am always reluctant to say how I feel as I never know what tomorrow will bring.

• Posted

hi guys . sorry to hop in on your conversation but i feel im in a similar spot . i havent worked in a week . im really struggling with my anxiety and how concerned i am with my life . i too have had a few ok days but mostly very down . hope things get better for you !

its my first time and all the negative feelings that go along with that are also not helping . Wish we could know things will be better.

• Posted

what web site did you find the information re time scale, its interesting just like to take a look on it.x

• Posted

Hi

Yes its strange because I get two good days and then the low mood again, Mon Tues felt as though I was getting better, but today its like half way house, like I am on the edge if that makes sense, felt hungry Mon and Tues but not so much today, its pretty upsetting when you think things are going in the correct direction, but most people I have spoken with seem to have good days and then go backwards.

I think we have to be patient as no two people are the same,

I look forward to hearing from you, think its important to talk or message.

I have been in touch with a lady she has been on fluoxetine for 12 weeks, and no better.

I have faith as I took fluoxetine about 17- 19 years ago and they worked for me then, I stayed on them for many years, regretted coming off them, I felt good while I was on them.

• Posted

yeah its a 2 step forward one step back type of recovery. im doing really bad myself at the moment. finding every day a struggle to get through but i remember feelong worse before i got better the last time i was on fluoxetine so im going to push through it.

• Posted

How long have you been on the fluoxetine in total, and when did you have the increased dose.

I have been on it just over five weeks.

its the low mood and the side effects I struggle with the most, and if you cant sleep, I play some sleepy music not very loud when I go to bed, I find I find it does help, have you tried doing that.

• Posted

6 weeks in total i think and 4 weeks on the increased dose. Last time i took fluoxetine it took a few months before i started feeling better. i physically and mentally just feel run down at the moment (worse than before i started fluoxetine) but as i said it usually makes u worse before you get better. The aide effects are hard there is light at the end of the tunnel.

• Posted

i really hope the bad days become do able because right now for me , they are not ...... my first panic attack today didn't help .

• Posted

I think just feeling this way makes you feel down and so low, have you had any good days, I had two good days Mon and Tues I didnt have the low mood today, but felt edgy, as though something was about to happen, had two very bad hot feelings today, so that worried me a bit, like the side effects again.

when do you take the capsules, I take mine am split dose, 8 and 12 noon the Doctor and the chemist said dont take them at night.

But I believe that they work over night and then maybe you feel better during the day, but I cant hack no sleep.

We have to keep fighting this, and I think it took a lot longer than six weeks last time, but I cant remember good and bad days.

I do know that when I got better, it was the most amazing feeling, I was able to go out, at the moment I have been in for weeks, and Winter doesnt help.

I find just writing to people like yourself helps.

• Posted

I had a few good days like two weeks ago but other than that it's been all bad. It is he most amazing feeling when the medication starts to work. I've been inside for weeks too because of this. I try to go out and exercise though.

The last few days have been particularly bad for me and i have been questioning whether this is the right medication for me but i will stick it out and hope for the best. It's hard to feel positive when the medication makes you worse than before.

Coming on here and talking to people like you helps me a lot too.

• Posted

yes it does help . i lknow i have felt like a complete looser . i cant do anything including be even close to productive . ive had a few good days but not many ..... having an ok evening . i am with you on the road of hope !

• Posted

I am sure its the right medication, we need to give it more time, I seem to be drifting in and out, but don't feel positive enough to go any where, as soon as I wake up in the morning my mind starts thinking, also I wake up early and cant get back to sleep again so I just lie there.

In the morning I have no appetite, its horrible as I try to eat some breakfast.

I think its very important to talk about how you feel, not try to hide it.

Today the weather is dreadful and that doesnt help things at all.

Keep writing to me, we can help each other get through this. x

• Posted

Sadly thats what depression is, like being in a black hole, with no escape.

What are you taking and what strength, and how long have you been taking what ever it is you are taking, these drugs make you feel far worse before you feel better, and the side effects are dreadful,

keep chatting on this as it is part of recovery.

• Posted

I find it hard to be productive too. i find myself just trying to pass time by fast each day but time moves really slow at the moment

• Posted

yeah depression is really horrible. I dont feel AS bad today but still pretty bad. my sleep is really messed up at the moment i sleep at like 4am. The weather is bad here too its very cold out. Once we get through this our quality of life will be much better so it will be worth it

• Posted

Yes we need to keep fighting, the worse thing I find is two good days of feeling like the black cloud had some what lifted and the next day, low mood and lack of interest.

I feel really tired today and I am scared to have a sleep during the day, because then I cant sleep at night, today I feel like I havent slept for weeks.X

• Posted

yeah i know that feeling. I think it actually took several months for the meds to fully work for me last time.

• Posted

yea im the opposite . i m scared of time as im not feeling better and scared ....... then last night and today are much better ! lets hope ive turned a corner .

• Posted

yes I have felt like that for two days or maybe three, then I go back to that low mood feeling and no interest, how are you feeling today, and how many good days have you had.

I would be interested to hear from you.

• Posted

Hi

How are you feeling today?

I have not been so good the last two days, seem to go two steps forward and two or three steps back.

Its very odd how one day I think I am getting better, then the next I feel like not doing anything, its like waiting for ever, you have been on the meds a week longer than me, have you felt any improvement at all.

How long did it take last time for you and did you have a complete breakthrough, or was it gradualX

• Posted

I'm just feeling continuously bad at the moment. The last time i took fluoxetine it took a good few months for it to work. It's amazing when it does work but it takes long time.

• Posted

I feel so sorry for you lets hope you get a break through soon, you are very much in my thoughts.

We never know with this drug, every one is different some people get a breakthrough very early and others much longer.

I have been speaking to a lady she has been on 20m for three months, she has glaucoma so she can only take a low dose, but her Doctor has just put it up, she takes 2x 20m one day and the next day just 20 as she is on prozac they dont do a 30m or a 10m, there was a National shortage when I got my last prescription, the Chemist told my Husband.

I hope you have had a better day today, bless you X

• Posted

Hello

I have been thinking of you, do you feel any better, I am much the same felt pretty good yesterday but today not so good, it takes some tolerating when it keeps changing.

I hope you have a glimmer of improvement.

Take care x

• Posted

i had a better day today but still pretty bad. i can feel a slight improvement so hopefully it keeps improving gradually. it will all be worth it for us on the end, got to keep reminding yourself of that. you will be a whole new person when it starts to work fully.

• Posted

It's also hard because there are other people saying the meds should be working by now which is making me question whether i should stick to it or not.

• Posted

Well I wouldnt worry to much what people are saying, I am far from ok and I have been on them just one week less than you, the only thing I can say is I can eat small amounts, before I wasnt hardly eating at all.

I have asked people on here if they have had some good days and some bad days, some people have said its normal, others have said the fluoxetine probably isnt working, so I feel it took a while last time so I want to give it more time and try to keep thinking it will work.

Do you have the low mood, as that is pretty horrible, as that is the most awful thing, cant get my head around doing anything, all the things I enjoyed, I cant even think about looking at anything either.

When do you take the tablets? because taking them at night maybe the reason you cant sleep, they tend to give you insomnia if taken at night or evening.

You can never tell with this drug, many people take several months to get better and back to normal, so I wouldnt swop drugs at this stage, you may get the same thing weeks before anything happens, and to go through another new lot of side effects would be the end of me.

When I last spoke with my Doctor on the phone (not that often) he did say to me that you will get some good days and some bad days, so I have kept that in mind.

Try to stick it out for a bit longer, you could go up to 80m but I dont want to do that either, side effects again.

Keep going and keep in touchX

• Posted

sorry I meant 60m not 80m.

How have you felt today?

• Posted

I'm starting to have small moments when i wake up where i feel a bit better so that's a good sign. Yeah i have the low mood and my anxiety is high too. You should lok up someone called katecogs on this forum. She speaks about this all in depth and really knows her stuff. She told me it will take a good 3 months before i start to feel the benefits of the medication and i think she's right. My sleep is very messed up at the moment. I don't sleep until like 7am. I take my tablets as soon as i wake up. Also another thing i must say is try not t drink any alcohol while taking fluoxetine as it can dampen the effects of it.

• Posted

Hi

Thank you for the information, I managed to find Katecogs, I have messaged her, it will be interesting to see what she thinks about these odd days when I feel the mood has lifted and the next day I am back to having the low mood anxiety everything, Sat I had a pretty good day but ever since I have felt just awful, I cant believe how it changes, its worst than having the low mood all of the time, I feel realy good on the good days and then so down on the other days.

No I dont drink, I wouldnt even feel like anything alcohol, have a problem with a cup of tea.

And I still get some side effects, that causes distress in itself.

How are you today are you getting any longer periods of calm?

I wonder if I need to go up 10m, I will see how I go over the next week.

There is a shortage of some strengths of fluoxetine , a lady I am speaking with went to Boots and they could only give her two capsules from her prescription, I have just reordered some more incase.

Thank you again, I will let you know if she replies to my messageX

• Posted

Hi

I have just spoken with a Doctor on line, and asked him why I am having good days and then go backwards, he explained that when the dose is increased it can take anything from three to four weeks or longer to get the benefit of the increased dose, he said its a good sign if I am getting good days and then not so good, he explained I will get a break through but it needs time, I thought you may be interested in this, no one tells us when they increase the dose that you have to wait again for it to get into the system.

just some reasurance from my GP would be nice, but no one tells us anything so I am pleased I asked.

Hope this info has helped youX

• Posted

Hi

I found a very interesting blog, this is what I put in the search engine

I read it from start to the end its so interesting I think reading it will help us understand how we will recover, I noted she said she had some good days and then went for a week with the low mood and anxiety,

She explains the anxiety side of it in great detail, very interesting.

I hope you manage to find it, I found it brilliant.

I think the people that make these drugs miss inform people that you will get better or get the full effects 4-6 weeks in, I havent heard of one person that has been better in that time, everyone reacts differently, they should not give people false hope, it would be better to say it could take up to 6 weeks or longer, depending on the individual.

I hope you have had a better day today x

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Edited

I don't really get any good days but i'm still hopeful that it will work. I think i'm past the worst of it now too. Recovery is a bumpy ride so it is a good sign that you are having some good days. Eventually them good days will be all the time. Just gotta hang in there. I wish i was having good days but sadly i'm not. Every day is bad for me but i do have moments where i feel slightly better,.

• Posted

Yeah it definitely takes most people more than 6 weeks to feel better on these meds. it's not a quick fix.

• Posted

I agree, one thing Kate Cogs said to me that second time around it takes much longer, so will just keep trying to battle on through it, I cant remember how long it took last time to feel completly better but longer than six weeks I am pretty certain.

How have you been today, do you feel like doing anything, I find it hard to get myself motivated.X

• Posted

I try to exercise most days as that helps. Yeah it's very hard to get motivated to do anything when you feel this low. I feel like i'm very gradually improving. I'd say we are both past the worst of it by now. How long have you been on it now?

• Posted

Hi

Yes I think we are over the worst of it, I think a gradual improvement is probably better than a big improvement, and yes I think second time takes longer, I intend staying on a low dose when I am better.

It will be 7 weeks on Tuesday about 24 days on Tuesday on the higher dose.

Do you see anyone, like your Doctor, I havent seen anyone since I was put on the fluoxetine, not even my Doctor the GP service hear is pretty poor to say the least, when I had depression before I was monitored but this time nothing.

I felt a bit left cope alone, if I didnt have the support from my Husband I dont know what I would do.

I still wake up with this fog.

Just hope you are feeling a tiny bit better each day, how long have you been on fluoxetine now.

Take care.

• Posted

I'm seeing my psychiatrist on wednesday. I've been on the higher dose for 38 days. It's good that you have your husband for support during this. It really helps to have someone you can talk to about it. Try to be excited about how good you're going to feel once it does start to work.

• Posted

I didnt realise you have been on fluoxetine less time than me , I thought you had been on it longer than me, I have been on it a total of 46 days today Sat.

I think I am getting better, as I am sleeping better, and able to eat, and I dont have the low mood, I wouldnt say I am feeling perfect yet though, but getting there slowly.

So as long as I get a small improvement I am pleased with that, I am able to take a bit more interest in things as well, I dont think these drugs kick in straight away I think it builds up in the system slowly.

I hope things go ok for you on Wed let me know how you get on, I wouldnt want to go on anything else, you get all the side effects again.

Its very sad if you havent anyone to talk to about this illness, thats why I like to write to you.x

• Posted

ive had a bad last few days. feeling worse than ever. i guess it goes like this though. very bumpy road to recovery. anyways yeah ill let you know how things go on Wednesday. how are you doing?

• Posted

Oh I am so sorry to hear that, keep fighting, you will get better, like you said the road to recovery is a hard struggle, I don't seem to have that low mood, that has lifted, but I am far from better, I have asked a question on hear about coming out of depression, most say its a slow recovery, and can sometimes take weeks, it doesnt happen in a day, also the fluoxetine needs to get to the right level in the brain before we get any improvement, so we need to give it time, most people say the second time of taking the drug takes longer to build up in the system.

We have to keep telling ourselves we will get better but it cant be hurried.

I hope you have a better day today thinking of youX

• Posted

Yeah true. It really helps to browse this forum and talk to people like you. Keeps me motivated to stay on the meds. It's gonna take a few months and i need to just accept that and keep fighting like you said. On wednesday it will be 6 weeks so that's a good chunk of time.

• Posted

Keep positive thats the most important thing.

I have had the best day today, but we will have to see what tomorrow brings, you never know when you may get these blips, so I am hoping its onwards and upwards, but tomorrow is another day.

Take care and I hope your day has been a better one, today it is 7 weeks.X

• Posted

How did you get on today, I hope it went well for you, are you feeling any better, I had a very good day yesterday but dont feel so positive today, just cant understand why it keeps changing, I cant remember being like this before, were you like it before did it take a while to feel like yourself again, was it gradual.

• Posted

Being up and down like that is a really good sign that the medication is trying to level out in your brain so if i was you i'd be happy that you are getting the odd good day. I'm not feeling extremely bad at the moment but i'm far from better too. I had my psychiatrist appointment today and the doctor wanted to up the dosage but i said i want to stick it out on this dose because last time i was on this medication it took a few months to work. Good things come to those who wait. I have to keep reminding myself to be patient and that it will be worth it in the end. I had a few moments in the last day or two where i felt normal-ish but they didn't last long. I take that as a good sign though. The good days/moments will eventually be all the time.

• Posted

Yes I agree I have been told by Kate Cogs that its part of recovery, but its also sole destroying when you feel good one day and not so good the next, but I think its trying to kick in, at least I can sleep and eat.

Yes I agree I would not want to increase my dose, the Doctor is ringing me on the 5th Dec so I will ask him about recovery, its very unsettling, I never know what tomorrow will be like, but I am grateful for the good days.

Yes I agree it will work but it needs time, next Tuesday it will be 8 weeks in total so two months,I think it will take much longer to level off, Kate said it took her 6 months before she felt ok, so I am not sure what Christmas will be like.

Just hope I get more good days, I dont seem to have the low mood so bad, but I find it hard to concentrate on anything much, and feel very tired in the morning, do you feel tired? think it could be the drug.

Are you alone, do you have someone to talk to, I think it helps especially if they understand depression, its a illness that anyone can get.

Take care hope your day has been a bit better.

• Posted

i am feeling so similar to you . my mind has nothing it cares about , im always tired . to be honest im getting scared . iv now thought how i couldnt live like this for much longer . thats a first for me . i am so sorry for my wife and kids , they deserve better . hope we get better soon .

• Posted

How long have you been on it? It will get better it just takes longer than you think.

• Posted

Yes i am very tired all the time. Need a cup of coffee to keep me energized throughout the day. I never usually drink coffee. Also my sleeping routine is all messed up. I sleep all day and i'm awake all night. This happened the last time i took fluoxetine too so i sort of expected it. I'm trying to exercise most days and eat relatively healthy because that helps. I have people to talk to. Yeah 6 months is a long time but it won't be all bad. You will start getting a few weeks where you feel better.. etc. I also find it very hard to concentrate on anything. It's horrible because i find myself wanting to pass each day by quickly but it's hard to pass time by quickly when you can't concentrate on anything.

• Posted

i started at the beginning of Oct at 10 then 20 and now 30mgs for 4 weeks . just hard to take a step forward and them back . it takes alot of strength to get through this. ive lost all motivation again .

how are you feeling?

• Posted

my mind is blank which makes me feel useless . i just want to enjoy being alive and not wondering if ill ever enjoy my life again . tough tp keep a job as a superintendant of a major construction company .

i dont know about you but i feel of i could only be a couple points higher in mood , i would be able to live somewhat normally .

• Posted

4 weeks on an increased dose isn't that long. It's going to be up and down for a while but eventually the good days will start outweighing the bad. I feel horrible at the moment but i was on this medication before a few years ago and i know that it takes a long time to work and you often feel worse before you feel better. Also from what i've read it takes most people months to feel well again. You will get there eventually if you stick with it. Have you been having any good days?

• Posted

yes its strange how suddenly I feel tired by day, as I am sleeping much better, so I have some changes taking place, and I seem in the evening to feel starving hungry, but I try not to eat before I go to bed.

I am pleased you have some support, sometimes my Husband will talk to me and I feel distant and on a good day love a natter.

I had a message from my Doctor yesterday in reply to the message I sent a week ago, he said you will get some good days and some bad days, but the good days should slowly get better, he also said you will still get the odd day that isnt so good, but he said he is sure I am on the correct strength of fluoxetine.

So will just keep going, I think I am getting better very slowly, its the changeable days that hits you.

Hope your days will start to get better, you are a week behind me, how long have you been on 40m?

• Posted

Try to tell yourself you will get better, thats what I keep reminding myself, I have got better before so I will again, my biggest problem is I cant remember what it was like coming out of depression last time as it was so long ago, but when I got better I felt good, I can't remember having good days and bad days, can you remember if you felt like that before.

I certainly feel the low mood has lifted I have felt like this for a week, but I still am not my happybself yet and have no motivation to do much.

I am certainly sleeping better at night and have a appetite, something I didnt have for almost six weeks and lost almost 3 stone, no support from my GP, he prefers to message me, rather than speak to me, that doesnt help.

Let me know how you are feeling today.

• Posted

One thing i'm really struggling with while adjusting to this medication is that i look really stressed out and horrible at the moment. My face is bloated, my skins paler and washed out looking and my eyes have dark circles under them... etc. My self esteem is taking a big hit i must say. I know that will all recover once the meds start working but it's had to deal with.

• Posted

Oh dont worry about what you look like, you have had a lot to cope with, I am the same look strained and very pale, but we cant worry to much about that, its been hard enough coping with depression, once we are better we can change all that, we need to get better first, I am still getting happy days and then not so good, but the Doctor has told me its normal, so I try to say to myself that soon you will get better.X

• Posted

The last few days for me have been really bad. maybe once i get over this blip things will start to pick up. gonna be 7 weeks on wednesday so no too far off two months. its a good sign that u are getting happy days. youve been on the increased dose for 7 weeks?

• Posted

Hi

I am really sorry you have had those bad days again, you will get there, everyone is different, I dont think you can compare yourself with someone else.

I have been on fluoxetine for 8 weeks tomorrow, and 32 days on 40m so just over 4 weeks on the 40m, most people say you need to be on the increased dose for 6-8 weeks before you see any benefit.

I am getting there this morning I got up feeling ok, I cannot say I am 100% yet though, as the evenings are the best for me.

I have to say I do sleep much better and feel more relaxed when I go to bed, and I dont wake up at that crazy time in the morning.

I feel I am getting better but slow progress, so I take one day at a time, feel happier in myself.

Sorry I didnt get back to you yesterday, how are you feeling today.?

• Posted

Feeling bad today but not as bad as yesterday. I've been on the increased dose for nearly 7 weeks now. Glad to hear that you are improving.

• Posted

im sorry to hear that . its now 5 weeks at 30mg and 8 weeks total and im starting to feel slightly better and less down . we are going to beat this ..... i know we will .

how are you both doing ?

• Posted

I am really sorry that you are still feeling so bad, are you having any good days or moments, because thats how I started, and then slowly I felt better towards the evening, and then afternoon and evening, and two mornings I have woken up and felt happier, I sleep pretty good now, before the slightest movement and I was awake, even when the heating came on in the morning, but I dont hear anything and sleep pretty much all night.

I sure hope I can only get better and better now.

I am certain that you will get a break through soon, its a slow recovery process but a nice feeling even when you are getting there, so keep positive and it will happen.

Thinking of you X

• Posted

I think I am getting there its a slow recovery, but I started having better evenings, and then afternoon and evening, the last two morning I have woke up feeling happier and more positive, I am sleeping much better now, getting a good nights sleep at last so it makes me feel better by day,and not so sleepy, eating small portions but enjoying my food again after losing almost 3 stone.

So I think I am getting there but you cant rush this illness, but you have to try to think positive, I dont have the low mood or that black cloud hanging over me, so that in itself is a relief, I just need to feel confident to go out shopping (groc) and out for a meal, we did both together regular.

How are you feeling have you had any good days ? I hope so, I found by just writing to people on hear it helped me a lot.

• Posted

For the past two weeks it's just been bad all the time with no good moments. I'm still feeling hopeful though as 7 weeks is still early days.

• Posted

I am so sorry to hear that, you should start to get some good days soon, it starts very slowly, and then it builds up from evening to afternoon and then mornings, I have been on fluoxetine for just over eight weeks, but I feel as though I am getting better each day, the last three mornings I have woke with a more positive attitude, I am not 100% yet as it would take a lot of courage for me to go out to do anything, but hopefully it will build slowly.

Do you have the low mood and no interest in things that you would normally enjoy doing, I also felt as though I was in a black hole, its a dreadful feeling, I use to just sit in a chair looking at nothing, but I like to watch the birds in the garden now, and I started to do the Christmas tree yesterday, before I couldnt even think about Christmas.

It will happen for you just keep strong, you have done it before so you can do it again.X

• Posted

I felt a bit better yesterday evening so hopefully that continues. That's good that you are starting to think about christmas now. I know the feeling of losing interest in the things you used to enjoy. Even watching tv is hard for me at the moment. Yeah i will stay strong as i know the meds do work.

• Posted

Hi

Thats good that you felt a bit better yesterday evening, perhaps it will increase a bit each day.

I am not properly better still have the odd day thats not so good, but we need to give the meds time to kick in properly, I still get anxious about certain things like health issues, when I stop worrying I will know I am better.

This is a slow long process, Kate Cogs said it took her 6 months the second time to feel better, and everyone is different, so I just think its all about giving it time.

Hope you have a better day today.X

• Posted

Yeah she also said around the 3 month mark you might start to improve which is good. I feel like i am slightly starting to improve now. We do need to give it time. We will be much more patient people after this haha.

• Posted

Hi

Yes I think it takes much longer than what they say on the info.

I seem not to have that low mood gloom and doom feeling, but I cant say I am better, I dont seem to want to do much or go any where, and I use to enjoy doing the shopping before.

At least I can sleep now, but last night just after we got into bed the whole bungalow shook we had a earthquake it was pretty big.

I have to have a ultra sound scan on the 15th Dec I have been having some strange noise when I wee, just another thing to worry about, usually I could cope with this, but having depression doesnt help.

I just hope you have better days, its strange because I feel different every day.

• Posted

How are you feeling now, are the days getting better, its a slow recovery.

• Posted

Hope you're okay. I feel like i am starting to improve. My appetite is improving along with my mood slightly. I feel like i am getting there slowly but surely. Yeah it's always harder to deal with little things in life when we are depressed or anxious. Just gotta trust the process.Hopefully you'll be feeling even more better by the time of the ultra sound.

• Posted

yes I am improving, but its a slow process, just need to get interested in going out some where.

I spoke with my Doctor on Thursday he asked me how I was, I said I dont have the low mood and that black cloud feeling and I eat and sleep better, but I told him I am not there yet 100%, before I didnt worry about anything but at the moment I feel like I am constantly worried.

He was on about reducing the strength after Christmas I have no idea why, what would you think, seems odd as I am not properly better yet, but I will decide when its time to reduce the dose, you are supposed to be on fluoxetine for six months at least, so cant get my head around his thinking.

I am so glad that you are starting to feel a bit better, its a long road, it will be 9 weeks next Tuesday.

• Posted

I would stick to the dose you are on if i was you. The last few days have been pretty good for me. Today i feel a little bit worse but still better than i have been. I'm not 100% yet either but i can see that i am improving. It's like two steps forward and one step backwards. I'll be at 8 weeks on 40mg on wednesday. It seems like we are both starting to get better which is great.

• Posted

yes I am not going to lower the dose, its crazy even mentioning it, I need to be 100% and be on the fluoxetine at least a year and I intend staying on it for ever maybe I will reduce the dose after a year or two, but certainly not before.

How have you been today, I feel I am much better, I just sometimes get negative thoughts.

It hasnt helped me by having this urine problem, I have has so many health problems this year, thats how I got depression, just hope everything is ok, trying to think positive though.

You certainly dont get better over nightX

• Posted

I'm definitely better than i have been but i'm far from 100% yet. That's good that you feel much better. Hopefully you keep improving which i'm sure you will. I'd be worried if the meds worked overnight haha.

• Posted

Hi

I havent heard from you for a few days are you feeling any better, I hope soX

• Posted

The past few days have been bad for me. anxiety is high, depression is high..etc. just not feeling good. im not gonna get too disheartened though as i know this is all part of recovery. how are you doing?

• Posted

I am ok but still get odd days when I dont feel so good, I dont have much confidence to go or do anything yet,I suppose it will happen, just have to keep going.

The only good thing I can sleep at night, and I am eating, but I feel very tired all of the time, I wondered if its because I take the tablets in the morning, I am not certain if I can change to taking them at night, I dont want to get those awful side effects again I would rather stick with mornings than it messes everything up.

I think I will wait until I feel 100%.

sorry that its not been so good for you, I cant say my head is clear yet.

• Posted

yeah i think its probably best to stick with taking the tablets in the morning. I feel very tired all of the time too. its hard for me to do anything at the moment. i have to keep constantly reminding myself that this is just how recovery goes and that i will get better eventually

• Posted

Yes I agree, have to stick it out now, I am certainly not there yet, Tuesday will be 11 weeks for me, although I dont seem to have the low mood, and can eat and sleep better, I am still anxious and worry just about everything, I dont have the push to do much either, and no confidence to go any where its sad as I dont feel like going out at all, I had a few odd days and then I felt happy and like my old self, but not at the moment.

I just feel so tired during the day, I have never felt like that before, it must be the tablets.

Hope you have a better day today, I was worried yesterday because I had not heard from youX

• Posted

Yeah i think it is the tablets that are making us tired. I hope i am feeling okay by christmas because i want to be able to enjoy it and go for a meal with my family. I'm sure you are the same. How are you feeling now by the way? Fluoxetine really does take a very long time to work but i know it will be worth it. We just have to stay strong.

• Posted

Yes I feel the same we have been invited to our Son and Daughter in law, and then our Daughter, but I havent said yes yet, but today although I had the ultra sound scan I was ok and felt ok going to the hospital.

Pleased to say my bladder and kidneys are working fine so that was good news.

If I could go to sleep at about 11am thats when I feel very tired, are you sleeping better at night, the first think I found I was able to eat, then sleeping became better, now I just want to feel happy positive and confident.X

• Posted

im glad the ultra sound scan went well. My sleeping routine is pretty good at the moment but my anxiety and depression is still high. we are almost there. it shouldnt be too kuch longer before we start turning a corner.

• Posted

Thank you.

I have felt much better today, been able to pay more interest in things, went with my Husband to post office and chemist, the manager in Boots, said he has been in that dark place so he totally understands, he said it was an effort to get in the car, so we are not alone many more people have been there.

But we are getting there, like you we need to get properly better for Christmasx

• Posted

so happy to hear your doing better today . i wish i could say the same .i had to come home because my head is foggy and have a ton of anxiety . couldnt work . im so hopeful to start getting better .

• Posted

Today has been a good day for me, I have felt pretty much normal today and happy, even went out in the car with my Husband , went to the post office and chemist, my Husband picked up our prescriptions, I told him to make sure they didnt change the brand, as the Doctor changed it from oxactin to fluoxetine, its all the same but different manufacturers, even that had a dreadful affect on me, anyhow the Manager at boots said I totally understand I have been there, he said it was an effort to just get in the car, so it helps when you hear people like that have experienced it.

what a pitty you had to come home from work, but you are good even trying to work, we are retired but I would not have been able to cope with that, at least you tried, go see your Doctor you need more time off to get better properly.

I never know what tomorrow will be like.

• Posted

You will get there eventually. It's a tough, long process but it is worth it in the end.

• Posted

That's good that you are feeling better today. I'm still not feeling the best. The negative thoughts are the worst part of all of this. I just can't seem to keep them out of my head but i know that's just the anxiety and depression talking and they will go away once i get better.

• Posted

I am so sorry to hear that, just hang in there, I think you will find its going to take three months or more to get properly better, although I am feeling a lot better, I still feel down in the dumps at times.

I did pluck up courage and go to Asda, I felt ok, it was nice to just get out.

I have a Doctors appointment this evening so I will probably feel very anxious about that, especialy as I have to be examined, not looking forward to it, will let you know how I get on.

Hope you feel a bit better towards the eveningx

• Posted

healthiskey hi sorry to barge in seeing your posts gives me hope, I'm too on week 4 of flouextine and feeling bad, had a major breakdown today 😭...

• Posted

Hi

Oh thats good you have had a break through it could be a blip, I felt like that after week three, but then went down with a bang, it went on and I felt really poorly for a few weeks, then I would have one good day and two or more bad, until I started to be able to eat, them my evenings got better and slowly it increased until I could sleep at night and each day got better, I still get blips but mostly its good days, its been a long time coming over ten weeks. Good LuckX

• Posted

i sure hope so . Its so dis heartening at christmas time to feel anxious and low . My heart goes out to anyone who feels this .

All i can do is hold onto hope right now as the last days have been really tough again .

• Posted

im glad my posts helped in some way. It will be worth it in the end. I've been feeling particularly bad for the past few days so i know how you are feeling. have you had any good days yet?

• Posted

yeah im hoping to atleast be functional by christmas. Im also feeling really bad for the last few days. its a very tough thing to go through but once the meds do work it will all be worth it.

• Posted

Yes I think I am getting there, I feel more relaxed now as well, so I just want to keep moving upwards, no blips, fingers crossed.

I hope you start to feel better soon, I was getting days like you, but then the good days became more and the bad days less, so keep going.X

• Posted

How are you, are you feeling any better?

• Posted

thats good. I'm feeling around the same but i can feel myself slowly getting better. just praying that i can be atleast functional for christmas.

• Posted

Oh thats good, I know what you mean about functional, I think over the next two weeks I should almost get there, but we have to be patient, this illness takes its time, I dont think any two people are the same, cant put a time on it.X

• Posted

Hi

I just wondered if you feel sleepy during the day, at about 11 am I feel like I havent been to bed all night, but once I get to sleep, I sleep pretty well,

I was wondering if its because taking the tablets in the morning, I needed to take them in the morning originally as I wasnt sleeping, but I wondered if it would be better at night.

• Posted

How are you feeling, are you any better now, are you back at work, at least you will have a break over the Christmas.

• Posted

Yeah i feel tired during the day too but i sleep well when i get to sleep. I'd say just keep taking the tablets in the morning. I think they can keep you up at night if you take them in the evening. I had a good day two days ago but i've gone a bit downhill again since then. How are you feeling?

• Posted

How are you do you feel any better.

I seem to be getting there, but the stress of Christmas doesnt help things.

Yes I will l continue to take my meds in the morning at least I am able to sleep better now, so I dont want to spoil things.

I hope you have a Happy Christmas enjoy what you can.

• Posted

I feel pretty horrible still. My anxiety is very high at the moment. Starting to doubt everything.

• Posted

Oh I am so sorry to hear that, what a pity as you started to feel a bit better, just dont doubt it, you will get better, but it takes its time once recovery starts, it seemed like a uphill struggle for me, but I got there in the end, I am much better and feeling more positive, and we had a nice time over the Christmas at our childrens homes, I hope you enjoyed your Christmas, and feeling better again, let me know how you are .

• Posted

Happy to hear you are feeling better! I'm not feeling as bad now but still far from better.

• Posted

Happy New Year, hope you will be healthy and happy in 2020.

I am pleased you are feeling a little better, the recovery is very drawn out, although I am much better, and can eat and sleep again, I just need that little extra push , I think it will take much longer to get back to feeling normal again, I am now three months, so I think it will take a bit longer yet, but I am grateful to feel like I do.X

• Posted

Oh that is a shame, what do you feel anxious about, health, or everything, try not to worry, and try to think positive, how old are you, and do you have other worries.

I have had all sorts of things going on but I was certain it would not pull me down.

I went to the Doctors just before Christmas and was diagnosed with a prolapse, over the Christmas it got worse, (probably due to the sudden weight loss) so I managed by luck to get an appointment to see a GP, and I have been told its got worse, so now I have to have a pessary fitted, I am almost freaked out about it, but have spoken with many people the same on facebook, so I feel reasured.

Just try not to worry about things, once your tablets kick in properly, you will find the anxiety will not be so bad, it takes away all those horrible thought, keep going, you will get there dont give up.X

• Posted

I will keep going. I just have generalised anxiety and social anxiety. I am 23 years old. I'm sorry that you got diagnosed with prolapse. I'm sure everything will turn out fine for you! I can't lie, i am starting to question wether this medication is for me but i will stick it out for a while longer and see.

• Posted

Bless you, you are very young, I am saddened that you feel so poorly, do you get any good days, or spells of feeling better, hopefully you will get there soon.

Just keep going because you know that time is different for us all.

I hope you had a reasonable Christmas, and you can hopefully enjoy the New Year, if you think positive then something will most certainly happen soon.

I am thinking of youX

• Posted

The evenings are slightly better than the mornings but thats about it. Still feels like i have a long way to go. How are you feeling now?

• Posted

Somehow i lost my contact with you, anyhow its taken me a few days but I have found you now.

How are you do you feel any better, I hope so, I am as good as recovered, I have been able to go out and do shopping with my Husband, its taken almost 14 weeks to feel myself again, but hopefully I can get back to enjoying my life now and think positive.

I am now having to deal with this prolapse, but its very common, ladies are not made aware of it enough, I feel stronger and can deal with it now, before I would not have coped.

I just hope you send me good news.X

• Posted

Glad to hear you are feeling better! I am not so much. I still feel like i have a ways to go before i get better but i'm prepared to stick with the medication for another while longer.

• Posted

hi ladies .

so happy to hear recovery has come to you .i am still struggling with a ok week , then a bad week .

i am currently on a real bad week and day . your recovery gives me hope at 14 weeks on these meds.

• Edited

Hi

How are you doing, after your busy Christmas, I am pleased to say I am better as good as 100%, it has taken a long time, but I feel good and happy and enjoy going out with my Husband again, he has been brilliant, looked after me well, its nice as we have our life back again, I never want to feel like that again, its just horrible and hard to explain to someone who has never had to go through it.

I am back to enjoying my meals, and sleeping at night, I dont have that awful tired feeling either.

Looking forward to hearing from you .

• Posted

Hello

How are you fee now, are you feeling any better, I hope so.

I am 100% better, feel happy, sleep and enjoy my meals, I have no side effects at all, I take my tablets each morning at about 8am, I have been out with my Husband shopping, even went to M&S.

I never want to feel like that again, its just horrible and hard to describe to someone who hasnt experienced it.

I cant say I had that much interest over Christmas, but suddenly I started to feel good all day, it will be 16 weeks next Tuesday, its been a long hard struggle but I was determine to fight this illness and I did.

I am looking forward to hearing how you are, much better I hope.

For some strange reason when I get a message it doesnt come through by email, so I have to hunt on this site to find you.X

• Posted

thats great that you are feeling 100% now! i am still not feeling better but i still believe the meds will work eventually. so you have been on the increased dose for 16 weeks or is it 16 weeks all together?

• Posted

as our friend asked , what was your exact time line ? i was feeling a little better but again back down.

so happy for you .

• Posted

by the way just to let yous know, im a guy not a girl haha. i was also feeling a little bit better but then i got worse again.

• Posted

sorry if i assumed . so am i .

i was up and down , 1 week ok , 1 week s****y , for pver months . i started 40mg and super nervous .

how are you doing man , lol ?

• Posted

im still struggling to be honest. i know ill get there eventually but the waiting is so hard.

• Posted

honesty is key . are you working ?

i am off today with crazy anxiety and really down. 2nd day at 40 mg and scared of whats next .

where are you at right now as far as your meds etc?

• Posted

I am at around 16 weeks on 40 mg. I don't work at the moment as my anxiety and depression is so severe.

• Edited

What a great post, I'm on wk 3 of fluoxetine and really struggling with lack of sleep, sweating, body tremors and shaking, no appetite at all. Glad to see there is hope and I will keep persevering.

• Edited

Thats the dreaded side effects, I felt the same for many weeks, I had the shakes couldnt eat or sleep, I lost 3 stone in weight, even when my dose was increased from 20mg to 40mg I went through all the side effects again, but it took weeks before I felt better, at first I had some good days and then several bad days, that was the worst feeling ever, but I am recovered now, and no low mood and feeling good, you have to be patient with this drug, every ones recovery is different.

Good luck on your journey, you will get there in the end, keep fighting.

• Edited

Thank you so much for your reply, it's definitely encouraging to know things will get better and there is light at the end of the tunnel but will take time, I'll keep pushing on. Glad to hear things are better for you.

• Posted

I'm on 60mg since February. Still struggling terribly. I do hope there's hope at the end of the tunnel

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.