Will fluoxetine work for me again?

Posted , 22 users are following.

I was on fluoxetine before for a few years and it worked well. I came off of it like a year and a half ago and only recently decided to go back on it again. I have been on it for just over 3 weeks so far and it's not helping me at all yet. I'm getting worried that maybe it won't work this time around. When i started it 3 weeks ago i would get waves of feeling normal which lasted only a few minutes but now i'm just feeling indifferent and have been for the last two weeks.

0 likes, 222 replies

222 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

it took a good 12 weeks before the fluoxetine started working for me this time around (second), but was absolutely worth it in the end. The side effects were absolutley horrendous, those first 3 months but I opted to try and power through after reading the experiences from others on here. best thing i ever did. That was nearly 3 years ago.

I still get the very odd blip. (Im currently into week 3 of the latest blip, but the longest since the fluoxetine started working), but if i can get 11 good months out of 12, ill take that with bells on!

• Posted

which weeks would you say we're your worst when starting fluoxetine? also yeah i would take 11 good months for sure too.

• Posted

Are you back onto fluoxetine for a second time, if so how long have you been on it this time, and are you getting the awful side effects, how long do you think it will be before it kicks in this time, if its the second time around.

• Posted

I am not sure how I can look that person up, would you be able to link that person to me, I dont know what to do to find her.

• Edited

Hi

I hope your day hasnt been to bad.

I received an message from Kate Coggs, she is very good, she told me that having good days and then not so good is normal, she said they are blips, so that made me feel reasured, I never know what I will feel like tomorrow, it is pretty unsettling.

when I go 4 days in a row then I will know that I am getting better.

Kate did say to me if you have been on these tablets before it normally takes longer to get better.

Just keep thinking positive X

• Posted

i have better moments now . still have tough ones too but definatley not all the way there . there is hope forsure . i really hope tomorrow is a break out day for you and me !

cant believe how hard this is . we are strong and will be stronger for it ....... i hope

• Posted

I am still fighting this, although I dont have that awful low mood, I am not there yet, I have lost my confidence and still dont feel my happy self, its 9 weeks today i have been on fluoxetine, I am still shaky my hands shake but not as bad as it was before, I think this will take anything up to 4-6 months to get properly better and feel like we did before.

• Posted

thats scary . i was feeling a little better for a week and now im back down again with no confidence or motivation . its almost impossible to think you will be happy or normal again . i cant remember when i was normal before .

how are you doing ?

• Posted

Oh thats just awful, how long have you been on the fluoxetine, and what strength are you taking.

I dont have that horrible low mood, but I feel a bit like you I have lost my confidence, and still get days when I dont feel so good, thank goodness I can sleep now, and eat, that was like hell on earth, so I am not 100% yet.

I havent heard from Healthiskey for a few days, the last I heard was she was starting to feel a little better, I hope she is ok.

We need to just keep fighting this.

Look forward to hearing from you, and that you are feeling a bit better again.

• Posted

ive been on it for 9 weeks but on an increased dose of 30 mg's for 6-7 weeks. i just wish someone could tell us we will be better . ive been feeling like my brain is slow and un able to concentrate well . my mood has for sure improved but nothing special .

can you relate ?

how are you doing ??

• Posted

Hi

You are much the same as me.

On Tuesday next its 10 weeks for me.

I dont seem to have that horrible low mood so thats improved, but I am still anxious and worry about everything.

Tomorrow Sunday I am having a ultra sound scan on my bladder and kidneys, so the worry of that hasnt helped me.

So maybe after tomorrow I may feel a little better, but then its waiting for the results, I am sleeping better not as good as I use to, and eating now, the worst three things not eating not sleeping and the low mood.

When I had a few break through days I felt much happier and wanted to do things, but now I dont feel the same as that, I dont feel like get up and go, still prefer to not do anything much.

Hope you start to feel better soon, keep me informed of your progress.

I just think this is a slow and winding road, there is no time you can put on anyone.

keep in touch

• Posted

same road !

i really hope everything goes OK for you . I have my wifes family coming over ( canada) from Italy this week so lots to do . Kinda wish i could do nothing . i dont feel low either today , but still have the slow brain and vision ( slightly) just not sharp which creates anxiety over my job . i really just want to turn another corner .

how are you doing today ?

• Posted

Thats what I feel like, my brain is in a fog cant think clearly, yes and at the moment my anxiety is on overdrive due to having this ultra sound tomorrow, I am so scared, I have to hold one and a half pints of water in my bladder for over an hour, cant see how I will manage it, but will give it my best shot.

Yes my Husband has been doing everything I just havent got any interest in things that I use to enjoy, are you working, thats something I wouldnt be able to do.

I am as though I am living on the edge, its horrible neither better or as bad as I was, I cant believe that its taken so long to feel like I did before, you start to think then am I going to get better.

I have been writing to someone called Kate Cogs,she has experienced this twice, and she has a blog, put her name in your search and read her blog, its brilliant, it has helped me understand this illness.

I know what you mean about having Family, our Children have invited us for Christmas but I dont have that get up and go feeling.

Keep in touch

• Posted

How are you feeling now, I hope you had a good Christmas, a Happy New Year and a healthy one.

keep in touch.

• Posted

not sure who this mesaage is for but ill respond , lol . Christmas was ok , had some up and downs the whole way .... including now . i have had some improvement ok periods but still just as much if not more crappy ones.

hows everything on your end?? last we talked you were getting an ultrisound

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.