Will fluoxetine work for me again?

Posted , 22 users are following.

I was on fluoxetine before for a few years and it worked well. I came off of it like a year and a half ago and only recently decided to go back on it again. I have been on it for just over 3 weeks so far and it's not helping me at all yet. I'm getting worried that maybe it won't work this time around. When i started it 3 weeks ago i would get waves of feeling normal which lasted only a few minutes but now i'm just feeling indifferent and have been for the last two weeks.

0 likes, 222 replies

222 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

If you are having brief break through's you will find it starts to get longer each day but its a very slow build up, this takes its course and we have to be patient, it has taken me just over 8 weeks of hell, but I am getting there.

• Posted

it happened on me too. i was on LEXAPRO for years then stopped. 4 years later, now i have severe depression. i started it again. it didn't work at all. MY BP became high. i don't know if it's "tolerance" i'm on PROZAC.

• Posted

Its strange isnt it how one day you can almost feel normal, and the next day just horrible, I was the same, but then I started to get more good days, I am a lot better, just think there is a little way to go, I am building up my confidence to go out, and start to do a few things in the bungalow, I almost feel lazy.

Yes I think I will stick with mornings, but I may take them both together at 8am, instead of the split dose, I always took it in the morning before, just cant remember feeling this tired and sleepy.

It takes me a long time to get to sleep, sometimes a short while and another maybe two hours.

I am certain you will be getting much better soon, its these blips that are so annoying.

• Posted

thanks to everyone who's replied here. I went off my Fluoxetine after many years and am starting back up...It's been crushing me...I'm on week three at this point....

• Posted

peejay-how is it going for you? I hope you are doing ok. I was on fluoxetine for many yrs also then went off & started up again. It can be crushing those first few weeks. Dont give up!

• Posted

its a struggle every day for me as well . so scared about money , and my family which only adds to this mess . Have you had any relief at all ?

16 weeks on 40mg or total ?

hope you have a better day

• Posted

i am seriously struggling myself .

i loosing hope and dont know what to do anymore .

how are you ?

• Posted

Hi

How are you doing, are you feeling any better, dont give up, you have to fight this and think positive, I went through hell every side effect possible, I lost 3 stone not being able eat, but it did help, as I am now in remission from diabetis, and I am better from depression, and back to enjoying life, it can happen to you too.

• Posted

thank you so much and do happy to hear about your remission .

since i uped to 40 mg it was really tough for the first week but the last week has been better

• Posted

Yes its a nice feeling to be happy again, it also took 40mg for me to get better, the biggest problem for me was the side effects, that was awful, but I am going to stay on a low dose, but Doctor said its up to me to decide when I feel ready to lower the dose, so they recommend six months after you feel better, so I wont be reducing my dose until at least six months, I never want to go to that dark place again, its horrible, I hope you continue upwards, keep in touch.

• Posted

Sorry i couldn't see your messages i thought you and shadow both just stopped responding lol. I am still struggling too but i am sticking it out. I'm going to give it a few more weeks then i might change medication. How are you doing now?

• Posted

im feeling the exact same . im taking clonazapam in a small dose but dont want to rely on that . im giving 40 mg 6 weeks and then im done . will be 6 months total at that time .

how are you doing man ?

• Posted

I am curious to know how you are doing, are you recovering, I never gave up hope and struggled on, it was worth it in the end, I am pretty much back to normal, I hope you are getting there, please dont give up, its a long rocky road but it does happen in the end, I do think of you often, look forward to hearing from you.

• Posted

Sorry for taking so long to respond, i didnt see the messages. I am still struggling unfortunately. People are telling me that the meds aren't gonna work since it's been nearly 5 months and still not much improvement but these meds worked for me in the past so they should work again. I am so glad to hear you are doing well though! I will keep fighting.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.