Worried about Hyperplasia - overgrown lining

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi - I have already posted today with some anxiety about my changing periods that are now irregular and definately different in quality.

Since January my periods have not been at the regular 25/26 day intervals.  I have a few that are around that length 24. 27. 22 and then a gap to 39 followed by a short one of 16 days.  Then a few again around 23. 22. 26 and then another long gap 37 and a short one of 17 days.  So I guess there is a pattern there.............sort of

The bleeding is horrible, it isn't heavy as such, but it just feels like it's out of control - the periods don't slowly start and peak and peter out as they have all my life.  They arrive and are full on (more watery) and then stop.  It feels as though it is a lot of bleeding but it's more like a sense of evacuation (sorry for TMI) and I get awful water retention and feel like I go down a dress size within a day of starting my period.

I am now worrying that these type of bleeds can lead to thickened lining and hyperplasia that needs treating with progesterone.  How do you know if that is happening if the NHS website says irregular bleeding is OK

Anyone have any experience with this - I do not like medical procedures and don't want to avoid taking care but also dont want to worry.

Aaarrgh I am guessing the only answer is ask the GP - but I am not that comfy with that either (don't know why I am so health anxious right now)

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I was exactly the same it went on for around a year. My finale period was so horrendous It frightened me. Two year without a period and every symptom that goes with the dreaded Menapause I have decided to try HRT . So hang on in there! If you're worried go and see your GP for peace of mind. Xxxx
    • Posted

Thank you Ruth - I think if I am still worrying in a couple of days I will bite the bullet and go to the GP - it's just that I have developed catastrophic thinking with all this and it never occurs to me that peace of mind might be easy to get with a short trip to see them!  Wishing you well and that the HRT helps you x
    • Posted

It took me a whole week to stick a patch on, so I know exactly how your thinking. I nearly walked out of the surgery before my appointment but realised how miserable my life was becoming. My Dr convinced me that life was for living and very right she is. It's not a rehearsal, this is it. So the least we can do is help our selves. Xx You're not alone on here. X
  • Posted

Hi sorry you're going through so much anxiety.

I have recently been diagnosed with endometrial hyperplasia. To reach thus diagnosis I first had a pelvic scan which showed thickness of lining to be >5mm (this is one of indicators for condition) then I saw gynaecologist who took biopsies by doing hysteroscopy & endometrial biopsy .. Also removed polyp which is a common factor of intermenstral bleeds. I had done under local anaesthetic. It wasn't pleasant but needed to be done. I have endometrial hyperplasia-simple with no atypia & no cancerous cells. I have been scared frightened in pain anxious & more. BUT IT IS REALLY IMPORTANT you know what IT is so it can be treated. I had a Mirena fitted 3 weeks ago & I go back to gynaecologist in 3 weeks for another consultation.

My background was similar to yours but I was losing clots & maybe peri.

Get it checked out ask questions.

Better to be informed. Sounds like you will diet yours with ease.

Tc

• Posted

Hi Emily - Glad you have had treatment for your bleeding - I have only been on this journey a while and hope that my lining hasn't built up - it's really confusing as the NHS website for menopause says to expect irregular periods but on the irregular periods page it says you need to tell your GP!!!  I am going to go and speak with them - thank you for sharing the investigations you went through and hope you start to feel better really soon x
    • Posted

Hi

Ok firstly I didn't want to alarm you. We are reading & using this site for support & information etc.

My experience is was very much like yours with what they class as intermenstral bleeds unless its a cycle. I have a coil to release progesterone & do its stuff, may need more tablets but I want to avoid hysterectomy. As mines simple hyperplasia it will hopefully be treated. Of course as one replier has informed you we are all at that certain age. Many women may have hyperplasia & not be aware. It doesn't automatically mean it can't be treated.

I am no expert either, and as close friend of mine told me we are all different.

You will be ok and I'm sure get support from gp. I have been told that if is I'd had coil fitted from beginning there would have been no build up.

But like I said we are all different.

Best of luck x

• Posted

You didn't say how old you are but what you describe is very perimenopause to me. And that can last for years. If it's been happening for a while, I would not suspect hyperplasion at all. I took progesterone when i would skip periods. The reason for that is because it makes you have a period. The worry would be that the lining is building up but you might not be shedding it. So the progesterone causes you to shed the lining. So I think absolutely nothing to worry about. However, I am not a doctor. Not even close. Just been through a few things lately and have researched and talked to my doctor. I only mean to calm your nerves but you should always check with your doctor and not rely on the web for answers, just to be sure.
    • Posted

Thank you Becky - I am going to check it out with my Doctor - until today I was thinking along the same lines as you, that progesterone is low and estrogen high at times or at least high in relation. That I might ovulate but more than likely not and that things were just up and down. 

The really short cycle had we thinking and I started worrying, because the bleeding amount is the same as last time and it's only been 17/18 days! At this point I want to explore trying to balance things out better, so as to avoif hyperplasia more than anything or at least to get educated about it and when to check etc.

Thanks for replying.  I find all these changes take me a while to get used too and confident in knowing what I am thinking or choosing to do

• Posted

Actually progesterone is what makes you bleed. So I don't think yours is low. I don't think hyperplasion comes in the form of periods. Possibly more constant. But someone who had it might read this and tell you that's not true. So they would know better. I think the doctor will tell you it's peri and pretty typical. It's a pain, but we're women and we are strong!! My peri lasted years! And periods were unpredictable and heavy at times with big clots! I know, TMI. But if it's helpful...
    • Posted

It is helpful thanks - yes the progesterone makes you bleed and thickens the lining as well, but.........if you are low on progesterone or don't ovulate the lining can fall away because it has grown.  I think when  my cycles were more regular I didn't really worry so much - now it's just that if there is no progesterone (which is near on impossible to tell as we ride this rollercoaster up and down hormones) then the estrogen will be building up the lining of the uterus with no helpful progesterone to make sure it clears itself with each bleed.

Either way progesterone is the helper here and I will talk to me doctor I think.   I think you are right that she will say it is typical and at least she can record where I am at right now for future reference

• Posted

Good luck to you. Glad you're going to talk to the doc. I think it's fine but best to check. Don't you love how we become such experts by checking Dr. Google????
    • Posted

I didn't say earlier, I am 45 and haven't had children - I think that is part of why at times, I find this so hard.  I wasn't expecting things to go haywire this early and when things get tricky and I feel like my body is 'failing' it brings up emotional stuff - some days it's like a slap in the face for not having children - it would be handy if I didn't keep having reminders x
    • Posted

Oh, I'm so sorry you have added emotional anguish. It doesn't seem fair. I am by comparison very fortunate & a mother of 2 grown up boys. I'm 50.

You will be ok but it really is worth you getting peace of mind.

Tc

Chat anytime x

• Posted

& your body is NOT failing in any sense. I'm sure you are son incredibly wonderful person & caring having achieved many successes in your life. Also being maternal does not always mean being a mum. Don't be so harsh on yourself x
    • Posted

Thank you x I have an appointment with the doctor tomorrow, my anxiety is through the roof - wondering if there is something wrong I haven't noticed!  Totally irrational but with all the coming and going of various symptoms, i was just going with the flow - hopefully tomorrow I can get some reassurance that that is exactly what I need to do.

Yes, being maternal has not completely passed me by, I have taught small children, teenagers and have various children in my life that are special to me - thanks for your kind words x

• Posted

Wow what an admirable & worthy occupation. Teachers map many children's lives far more than their parents ever do.

Ask plenty of questions tomorrow. Please let me know how you get on. Whatever, is discussed or recommended there WILL be a solution. I totally understand levels of anxiety I've experienced same. Little comfort, maybe but you're not alone. Also I was told that everyone is an individal & we all deal with things differently.

Tc x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.