Zopiclone

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi

Needing a litle help please.

Been given Zopiclone to help me sleep, how many hours does this make you sleep for?

Would like personal experiences with this one please. TIA

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello dawn57104,

I have been on Zopiclone for more than six months, one tablet of 7.5 mg before going to bed.

It has done wonders to me as I have never slept this well since my childhood. It's literally a deep sleep with no dreams for about 5 hours. After 5 or 6 hours, I get up with a very refreshed mind and ready/energized/motivated to go to work. The only adverse effect is that I have a bitter taste in my mouth of which is not that disturbing.

Just need to caution you that you need to make sure you are ready to sleep before taing it because you may not recall what you were doing before you go to sleep. I wll not take it while in the plane trip even though it's a long haul flight. You will be completely knocked down and may not know what is happening around you.

• Posted

Hi Zop-ca

Many thanks for your help, yes i recall feeling zoned out and not hearing a thing on saturday night as i took one then.

As for the bitter taste i have not experienced that yet.

It is still early days for me with the new meds will see how i go.

Thank you for your advice.

• Posted

Hello dawn57104,

I hope things are going well... trust your medical doctor. Your doctor has prescribed the medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects.

Hence, I would say that communicate with your doctor often and tell him/her everything that you have experienced/felt/observed. Also, you can also rely on the literature provided by your pharmacist.

• Posted

Doctors are more often than not wrong about sleeping pill prescribing, zop-ca.
    • Posted

And zop-ca - it isn't side effects that are the problem.

It's becoming tolerant and then addicted.

• Posted

And the literature provided by your pharmacist is written by the drug company that manufactured the pills!!!!!!!

So they're not likely to be saying much about addiction. It's mentioned, but very briefly.

• Posted

Hello tess33005,

I do understand your point... I am only taking one per day... and if it no longer works, I wouldn't increase the dosage, my doctor also told me that the dosage should not be increased regardless. I am sort of living one day at a time and being hopeful that it will continue to work for me.... and if ever it doesn't - I will not increase my dosage. Thanks for sharing and I will surely be vigilant about that. Meantime, I needed to have a good night sleep through the help of my medication until such time I have recovered from my major surgery. 

• Posted

Please stop them for two nights just to see how you feel. We'd all be interested to know.

If teh doctor told you not to increase the dosage you wouldn't sleep a wink because by then you'd be addicted.

You don't seem to understanding, zop-ca.

THERE WILL COME A TIME when zopiclone no longer work for you. You've promised your doctor never to take more that one. So what will you do once you've reached tolerance - which you will, and start not only being awake all night, but also suffering withdrawal stmptoms?

• Posted

All I can say is that f you have just started Zopiclone is to read what problems

that they can cause once they have stopped working.

You will become tolerant in time and then you will have to go through

withdrawal which is not pleasant.

• Posted

Hi Dawn I am currently withdrawing from zopiclone I wish I had never taken it in the first place, it us highly addictive and really shouldn't be taken fir mire than a day or two in my opinion. I never got more than two or three hrs sleep on it and it is hell coming off it. I was on it for over four months. Please really reconsider about taking this drug. It's an awful awful drug I'm. I am trying to manage the withdrawals with diazepam but it's one good day two bad days. Could you try something natural cos zopiclone doesn't give a natural sleep. I truly wish I had never been given this drug to help with sleep. They only recommend taking it for four weeks max. Even then that time frame is enough to get addicted.

Read some of the stories on here about people trying to get off zopiclone, may make you reconsider even taking it.

I wish you the best

Caroline

• Posted

I was on it for about four and a half months but right from the outset I was having problems with it. It really messes up natural sleep patterns. I ended up taking it to stop the withdrawals and side effects in the end. I stopped it about two weeks ago went cold turkey which is never recommended.
  • Posted

Hi as soon as you take this your asleep .. I sleep around 8 hrs & feel so much better when I wake than I would without. ??

• Posted

Wait till you become tolerant as many do to their prescribed sleeping tablet.
    • Posted

Hi Sharon.  I don't really understand how you manage to sleep for 8hours.

zopiclone only lasts for around four or five hours.

once it leaves your system you usually wake up.  I know I do and cannot for the life of me get back to sleep.  But I reckon it's better to get a few hours sleep rather than no sleep.  As you become tolerant they lose their

effectiveness, but I certainly don't feel zonked or zoned out by then.

i also dream, but can't remember what I've dreamt about.

• Posted

Hi Vivien. . I think it's catch up.. I wnt take 1 every which means I get about for hours sleep at most..so when I take the zop there's no fighting the sleep ..I just feel like it's the best sleep .. no.I cnt remember mine either. I was on 7.5 for a few months.. I said I wanted to come off so Dr gave me 3.75mg I was going away for 2 months thought it wouldn't be a problem ..He only gave me 14 which I done in a week couldn't sleep at all on that.. the Dr in Turkey wouldn't prescribe them said it's like cocaine. .I'm guessing the addiction. . I even got proof of my prescription faxed thr off my doc when he seen that said I had to go the hosp to see a pdr hes not prescribing so I sodded it off and drank every night only way I could sleep to mix with my other meds.. Iv come bk & 3.75mg suits me now..I cnt understand why I never ft that in the 1st place .

• Posted

BECAUSE DOCTORS PRESCRIBE IT AND THEY SHOULDN'T.

Everyone, please be very careful. See what Tootsie is saying. See what Caroline is saying. see what Vivien is saying, and if you get that far, see what I'm saying.

The next step is usually buying it off the internet - the road to hell.

• Posted

I seem to have it under control but I understand totally what your saying.. before I no it il be hooked.. can you sleep now without meds? Iv had sleeping problems for 20yrs ..I started off on a pull called dothiapine I think it was called (like a smarty & red) prob spelt it wrong! But because I was really mentally ill back then I was self prescribing (wanting to die) I was taken off them & put on trazadone (safe drug) I had a baby 3yrs ago & there was no way I was going back on sedatives. .my past in mostly a blank because of them.iv actually been properly diagnose since having my son so on lithium & venlafaxine bt I still cnt sleep.. my head doesn't allow it even when I have slept I dnt think I have because my mind just doesn't switch off.. believe me I'm at my wits end most of the tme..I have no quality of life because I'm that warn out I cnt even take care of myself at times.. without zopiclone I think I'd lose the plot with insomnia ??

• Posted

sharon, at the moment I'm in treatment for forty years of addiction to these stupid sleeping pills.

Before i started treatment I could take the whole box and still be wide-awake - and I'd usually have 100mg valium as well.

Be scared, all of you.

The answer is yes, NOW I can sleep. I am tapering off carefully under an expert doctor and I'm only on 20mg valium a day now.

Which is a massive improvement!!

• Posted

That's great news tess .. I just cnt sleep without help.. its either sleeping tab or alcohol which is on top of my other meds ??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.