.25 Klonopin twice a day for 3 months

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. I've been on Klonopin .25 twice a day for almost 3 months. I was a mess three months ago while trying to get on an ssri. With the help of the Klonopin I'm now on 10mg of celexa and feel good! I'm ready to stop the Klonopin as I think now it is just making me tired. I'm sure my doc will agree to help me stop the Klonopin tomorrow as she wasn't planning on it being long term, only until I got stable on Celexa. I'm scared to death of for some reason having horrible withdrawal. I had an awful experience coming off cymbalta after 12 years and now finally feel good again. Should I be this terrified of coming off Klonopin after 3 months? All I see is horror stories online!

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have u heard of the Ashton Manual?
    • Posted

I used the Ashton Manual to cross over from Halcion to Valium. When i worked as a moderator on the forum TRAP which has since closed down, the Ashton Manual was the basic for the advice we used to guide people people through their tapers. Thousands of people have successfully tapered using this manual as a guide and most Facebook support groups also use the Ashton Manual as a basic guide. I find the tapering schedule a little harsh and usually recommend that people take slightly smaller cuts and allow themselves a bit more time between cuts but the bottom line is if you follow the manual you will be safe. 
  • Posted

I saw my doc today. She is having me half the daytime dose but keep the nighttime dose the same for 3 weeks. After that I will half the nighttime dose and do that for another 3 weeks. After that, I have another appointment.
    • Posted

Thats a huge cut! The Ashton Manual recommends cuts of 5-10% of your dose  every 10 days or so, 
    • Posted

That is too big of a cut. Read the Ashton Manual and like Coby said Klonopin can definitely turn around and bite you in the butt if you taper too fast. 
    • Posted

It's been 5 days that I've been on the .125 and I haven't had any symptoms of withdrawal at all. I'm hoping I will be ok. I don't want to increase it back up. I'm actually feeling a bit better... Less drowsy during the day for sure. I'm also on Celexa which I think is helping to keep my anxiety in check.

• Posted

Cheryl please be careful in tapering this drug and I speak from experience. Go slowwwwww
    • Posted

Thank you. I started tapering 3 days ago and haven't noticed any withdrawal yet. I'm hoping that will continue!

• Posted

Great. Go slowly it is recommended to reduce 5 or 10% monthly but listen to your body. I went cold turkey 5 months off your same amount ago because I did not know any better, never again. We will get thru this and I refuse to go back regardless. Prayers of healing sent your way.
    • Posted

I was on it for 4 years and did not know it was for 2-4 weeks only. I have been off since January and I am still going through but I am going to be fine and so will you. The only thing that helps is time.
    • Posted

Thanks Elaine. I'm hoping I will have minimal or no withdrawal since I've only been on it for a few months. I'm still tapering though, just to be safe!

• Posted

Klonopin can sneak up and bit you in the bum if you go too quickly. Go slow - it usually pays to do so. Please be very careful. 
    • Posted

Hi Elaine. Thanks for asking. The taper is going well. I haven't had any withdrawal. On Friday, I'm dropping the nighttime dose from .25 to .125. I hope it goes as well as the first drop. I will do that until I see my psychiatrist again in July.

• Posted

Are you feeling any better? Are your withdrawal symptoms any better? I hope so.
    • Posted

Just wondering if you are feeling better Elaine? I finished my taper 2 days ago and was lucky to not have any symptoms. I was thinking about you and wondering how you were feeling?
    • Posted

Hello, I am improving everyday, but I still have a few symptoms lingering. I am happy you are symptom free. I think when my CNS calms down and also when I can go back to physical exercise I will be a whole lot better. I still have the burning skin, internal tremors, a little anxiety, headache, ear pain, etc. But that is a lot less than 2 months ago, Keep me informed of your progress and I hope everything works out okay. I think you will be okay due to short term and low dose. I was also low dose but on it due to ignorance for 4 years.
    • Posted

Hi there Elaine,

I think I read that you stopped Klon around January.  i too finished December 2017. That a nightmare eh?

I am still having some withdrawal symptoms, and having waves and windows on a daily bases.   In the last month or so, I have noticed that the windows are lasting a little longer but the waves just hit me.  I can be fine, and just go to get up and walk to another room, and they start. I am having a lot of physical symptoms.     You then question whether it is withdrawal or something else.

The whole 10 months of weaning and now being 78 months post seems like a life time........

Actually in the 10 months of weaning I came off Trazodone and Klon.........nightmare !!!!!

• Posted

Hello, yes this has been quite a nightmare. I am happy you are having windows, at least you know you will heal. And no it is nothing else but withdrawals regardless of what the withdrawal brain tells you. Benzo withdrawal affect every part of your body and the symptoms are relentless (for a lot of people). Keep on going and whatever you do, do not reinstate. I am blessed so far because most of my symptoms have lessen and I pray they continue to do so for you and me both.
    • Posted

Thank you Elaine for your reply.   Good for you, you sounds very positive about this horrid ordeal.

If you ever want to chat, I am here.  You can always PM me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.