"I HAD BAD REACTION TO CYCLIZINE ANY ONE ELSE?"

Posted , 9 users are following.

I went in Macmillion hospital for an Iron Infusion, as chronic anemic. I had the iron, and the then administors Cyclizine via IV, i was resting in reclined position on the chair. Suddenly almost not long after maybe 5 mins as if i was either having a heart or strok, i was struggling to breath serious chest pains,i don't know what my heart rate was since i have Tachycardia, i can say my heart was pounding and chest wall was vary fast, i thought i was having  a cardiac arrest. Bp from 126 shot up 186/90, i would not speak, my eyes were dialated, my eyes were reported by the nurse as "rolling back in my head", i felt as if paralysed as i could not lift my hands or head, i could not call help. I had tears rolling down my face,it was a few minuites before i could talk. It was the most aweful, shocking,distressing,alarming,horrible,frightening experience, to have gone through. To add insult to injury i was sent home, and when i called the Dr acted as if he had never heard of this sort of serious reaction. Not a single note in my after care summary, now covering up. Not a single note about i had no warning about possible side effects, the care has had many failours.

i have contacted PAL, and Voice, i am having councelling the experience has had a negative impact on my life.

2 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello 

approx month ago I had UFE procedure in hospital and during that time they give me cyclizine just after couple of tiny vomits  because I was just stared drinking water after procedure  . Because of procedure I was in maximum pain already.As soon Nurse put that drip in my body and within minute  my heart slowly stopping.i was struggling to breath . I couldn't lift my hand and  Was struggling to speak as well . Somehow I informed her stop that drip and  i m struggling to breath, move  and talk  . I think Nurse  was  realised the situation and she press the staff button . Few minutes back I was only in massive pain but now I was feeling like I was drowning in water and somebody pushing me to drown . It was most dangerous , horrible experience in my life. All staff nurse gathered around and put me on 5L oxygen and in five min things was sorted. While leaving hospital no body was bothered to tell me what I m allergic to or in futur stay away from this drug or not bothered to mention doctor about this . After month  day before yesterday when I went to visit doctor again for review and I mentioned what happened to me  and I want to know the medicin name to keep in my head.Then  I found name of this drug and doctor said u are allergic to this Medicin . 

• Posted

I won't tell you that cyclizine is completely safe because it would be a lie, but realistically no medication (prescription/over the counter) is completely safe, they all come with leaflets telling us about common minor side effects and ranging through to extreme side effects that you are to report to your doctor should you have them. But this is case for many medications, and most people don't experience these side effects; however there are always certain people that have allergies or intolerances to these drugs, such as those allergic to penicillin or paracetamol.

I'm not saying the was the doctors treated situation was correct, they could have been more informative and given you more information but to say that cyclizine is dangerous and should be taken off the shelves is ludicrous. By such a logic we might as well take every other pharmaceutical off the shelves because someone somewhere will be highly allergic to it and could potentially die from its use.

I'm not saying what happened to you wasn't traumatic and I'm not saying you can't have an issue with cyclizine, I'm simply saying that even though it's not for everyone there are some people that benefit greatly from it. I myself have become a more and more regular user, due to frequent nausea cause by my chronic fatigue which no one has found a cause for. It doesn't always make the nausea go away completely but it helps, i also haven't really had any side effects, perhaps some drowsiness but it's hard to be sure given I am always tired and on 3 other medications, I have also found it can cause very subtle hallucinations, although I have no doubt my HPPD is a factor, as well as the lansoprazole, diclofenac sodium and amitriptyline which I take for my chronic nerv pain.

So before you approach the subject so negatively, think of the people it does help, and that if it was truly as unsafe as you believe it to be, it never would have made it past clinical trials.

• Posted

I don’t know who you are, or  who you represent, but you have your comments and I have mine. I have read over thirty complaints and you are the first to say Cyclizine has helped you out of thirty others, look at the statistics, 30 to 1!!

I am disappointed with your comments about me, as you have no idea what I went through. I spent over a week in hospital due to the bad reaction of taking Cyclizine. But then as you said, you were not affected, so you are not in a position to comment about me.

Another point, you said if Cyclizine was truly as unsafe as you believe it to be, it never would have made it past clinical trials. Tell this to all those mothers out there that were given thalidomide, which was hailed as a "wonder drug."  Can you tell me why, 10,000 babies had been born worldwide who either had shortened arms or legs, or no limbs at all.

With regards to Cyclizine, how do you know whether Cyclizine is safe to give to pregnant mothers? 

Cyclizine is banned in countries, such as the USA and  Canada, to name but a few. According to you, Cyclizine is safe, if that’s the case, why is Cyclizine banned in those countries?

• Posted

You would feel differently if you had a bad reaction to Cyclizine. Medication does not always give you all the side effects. According to reports, Cyclizine has not been studied much.
    • Posted

I am pleased the oral tablets are helping you fo ryour CFS however perhaps you should look at JOJO37 post regarding her mother and other discussions on this forum about the drug. I too was in hospital for 2 weeks where the nurse who administered the drug did so too quickly. I am lucky to be here as I was on coma watch for 48 hours. I still have leg spasms and slurred speech if I am tired or have any stress in my life. It has ruined my life as I was a capable woman of running a large estate with 4 children and all of that crumbled. When I went home I could not walk and the dr advised it would take me 4 weeks to walk to my gate. I have had numerous attacks and bouts in hospital due to the cyclizine reaction. I was due to have an operation last year and 2 anaesthetists advised my consultant that the operation should not be performed without full intensive care back up. My friend who is a nurse within the NHS advised me NOT to have the operation as she was scared of the consequences, saying she would rather have me here than not at all as once you have had such a severe reaction the chances are having a second reaction is fatal. 

This has totally ruined my life. As much as I have empathy for you, please do not undermine the effect this has had on the many people on this forum and others who are unaware that the forum exists. Apparently there is an antidote that should have been given to all of us that had such a severe reaction, unfortunately I was not given one. Even if the drug company advised this, I am sure it would help many. 

Who knows perhaps I should have had the operation last year and if proved fatal, my family could have fought the drug company as the first victim to this very harmful drug.

• Posted

Good on you Glenna. I'm happy it has help that person but I had many bad reactions including putting me into an abnormal heart rythum which made me unconcious. My sister was with me visiting from Australia and she was terribly traumatised watching it. I will never say it's safe nor will I say it shouldn't not be banned, one day, someone will die and they'll day ooops! But probably cover it up. 

I have been pushed to have nerve pain medication without having nerve pain many many times. ( I was on it for a year for nerve damage and weaned my self off it... It been surgical pain since-5 surgeries this year). One day I asked the Dr if she gets a kick back from the pharmaceutical company, she said. Yes. 

No one can tell me, clinical trials and so on, mean a medication is safe. It's all about money.

• Posted

Aristocracy, I've never heard of paracetamol changing a persons heart rythum to SVT that made a Preston unconcious. Even small doses caused a very fast heart rate. I didn't want it but they had no choice as I going to perforate my diaphragm from dry heaving. It's not safe and should be banned. At least tell the stupid nurses that my heart rate of 180bpm was not 'anxiety'. It was reactive tachycardia (in A&E) and the dr I eventually saw was extremely worried, they gave it first line. The nurse told ,ex to 'calm down', wanted to take off monitoring which I refused and left and would not come back even though I had terrible chest pain and couldn't breath. I thought I would have a heart attack. no oxygen, kindness or concern, told me to get over it. Re-educate these horrid ppl. 
  • Posted

I still got no oxygen despite the dr being worried, and no ECG, and was alone, I spoke to the dr who was 5mins out of medical school, we had a nice chat and I said, please be careful. He was very kind and promised he would look in on other patients on Cyclizine as the nurse are too dopey to check them. I listed my symptoms and said your nurses, no offence need to be pulled up every now and then. I am insulted and humiliated that I was called anxious. Turned out, my Scaitic nerve was impinged and ended having a big open surgery. It was NOT in my head. I was terrified and on top of it, in absolute agony and on top of that, I was tacky becaue of a mediation, not because of some odd emotion. 
  • Posted

Sorry the above incident is different to the first one I mentioned. I've had it three times and each time, the reaction was worse. First I was tachy and short of breathe, then it was very tachy, palpitations, SOB, tremors and loss of balance, third was abnormal heart rythum, double vision (don't know if my pupils were dilated), complete loss of balance, tremors, painful palpitations, severe SOB (felt like I was suffocating) and unconciousness. Next time I'll probably have a heart attack... (No next time obviously) ?So it's safe? 

I was was very traumatised for months and probably still am. My sister was screaming as she said I looked like I was suffocating. They tipped me upside down and did a manoeuvre to revert my rythum. They had to pull her out of the room and push a lt of flood to get it out of my system. I remember reacting (the third time) as they gave it and the dr said keep going even though I was reacting. So they were put it a position of my perforating my diaprgam or have a dangerous, terrifying reaction I would be traumatised over but they could manage. Great drug. 

• Posted

Hello Sharon40290

I am a patient that has also had this terrifying experience. I thought this really was the end. The "intolerance" as the medic described it played it down somewhat. I thought I was having a cardiac arrest and the other symptoms were debilitating and distressing.

• Posted

Hi

My mum was given this drug in 2011 and had a severe reaction to it, the hospital failed to document the reaction, the next day she was even sent home with it.

Last yr my mum was admitted to hospital again, and even though I told them not to give her it and explained what had happened in 2011, the doctor didn't listen to me and still gave her it. Seconds after she was given it she couldn't talk she was holding her head and chest, her blood pressure went over 200, she never spoke again she was unconscious, then 30 minutes later she was fitting and had to be put on a life support and taken to ICU. She then had a brain scan that showed she had a massive brain hemorrhage.

She under went emergency brain surgery.

She is now left with brain damage and needs full time care.

The hospital is trying to say it wasn't the drug that caused it ( even though her blood pressure went over 200)

We are going to fight this all the way.

Cyclizine should be banned.

• Posted

Hi jojo

That is so awful! Was she given it IV or oral? I had a few very severe reactions. My heart rate shot up too 180bpm and caused an abnormal rhythm, vision, tremors then unconscious. All of which the hospital did not document. The last time I had it, I kept saying no because of previous reactions. They had run out of other medications to give me. I felt like a truck had hit me after they gave it.

So sorry for your mum. What were her reactions to cyclizine before the dose that caused the brain haemorage?

Melissa

• Posted

Sorry, I had double vision, shortness of breath and felt like I was suffocating, then I fell unconscious. Each time I had it, the reactions became more severe, long lasting and more life threatening. I am terribly traumatized and I feel so sorry for your mum.
    • Posted

It was given through a IV within seconds.

She went unconscious her heart was pounding she held her head straight away.

She never spoke again,she wet herself.

The first time she was given it in 2011 her heart was pounding she felt like she was dieing she couldn't move or talk.

She was left with heart palpitations and tremors, but because the hospital didn't document it properly, every time she went to the doctors telling them, they couldn't get any record of it sad

It's so heart braking, I can't believe they can still give it.

• Posted

Sorry to hear about what has happened to you. I suffered as a result of taking Cyclizine and I was in the hospital for approx a week. There are so many people on this forum struggling as a result of being prescribed Cyclizine, and nothing has been done about it, as you said, this could be a cover up. What is so worrying is doctors are still prescribing Cyclizine to pregnant women. According to reports, Cyclizine has not been studied much, so why would they prescribe Cyclizine to us.

Do you know of anyone that has taken a case against the Cyclizine manufacturer company?

We all need to get together and tell our story on social media, we're stronger together.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.