[LONG PLEASE READ] HOW I’M HEALING MY ANAL FISSURE FOR A WEEK

Posted , 38 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I WANT TO ADVISE THAT I AM NOT [A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL I’M JUST SHARING THIS BECAUSE BASED ON EXPERIENCE I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING AND THIS WAS THE ONLY THING THAT WORKED AND I JUST WANT TO HELP ANYONE THAT IS GOING THROUGH THIS PAIN]

Here’s how I’ve started to heal my Anal Fissure and I want to help anyone that is going through the same thing because it’s one of the worse things anyone can ever go through physically and emotionally. It all started when I used the restroom after a night of drinking eating the wrong choice of food. I was straining so hard and since I have an internal hemorrhoid I thought the pain I was experiencing was that. When I would push the hemorrhoid back in normally when that happens I never had an issue I usually just push it back in and I forget it’s even there but this time I felt a pain that was different it felt sharp and it stung really bad. I didn’t think much of it but as the days went by the pain kept getting worse to the point where I would use the restroom it felt like shattered glass and the pain was becoming unbearable, I was in so much pain I would feel like passing out at times and I would cry. Even after a few hours the pain would linger. I then started seeing blood which terrified me and urged me to go to the doctors. Doctors then confirmed that I also had an anal fissure.  At this point I’ve had this fissure for about a month now and I was still eating the same thing and the doctors had prescribed me nitroglycerin along with licodaine ointment and the only thing that seemed to ease the pain was nitroglycerin but it didn’t help much as far as healing the wound. The doctor also had advised me to just focus on treating my constipation and to make sure to add fiber to my diet. I was still eating the same thing and added more fiber. That still didn’t do much and at this point I started to feel helpless and fell into depression because I felt as though no one understood... even though it’s a small tear most people didn’t really understand the pain it brings physically and mentally. There were days I was taking off work because I just couldn’t move. So then I started doing research online on my own... and I stumbled upon another post in which is a life saver, after trying everything I could to heal my fissure following everything I seen on that post I’m finally starting to see progress. Here’s what I did, please do this is you are suffering from a fissure that’s taking a while to heal....

First thing I did was empty my bowel by taking a laxative, the one I took was Dulcolax it says to take 2 tabs but I only took 1 since I didn’t want to irritate my stomach. I took one tab at night and the next morning I had flushed everything at that point you might still be in pain since the fissure is still an open wound but it’s okay this is just the first step. After you empty your bowel then we start the healing process... 

What I did was FAST for the first two days just drinking nothing but water. I know this might sound scary and you might feel hungry (you won’t die) this is just so that you can give you fissure the opportunity to heal and yes it goes against everything the doctor tells you because they advise you to take fiber and such but your fissure is not going to start healing if you keep having bowel movements, it’ll continue to reopen the wound. The following days all I would have is liquid (water, juice, soup broth) I did this for a week. I also purchased this stool it’s called Squatty Potty which helps you not strain when using the restroom. Now let’s move on to the creams and supplements I took...

As for the creams I read somewhere that zinc is good for healing wounds and it’s also a skin barrier. So what I did was I mix zinc along with triple antibiotic cream, then after I apply that I also apply the nitroglycerin cream which helps relax your muscles down there. I did this everyday/twice a day after washing myself, make sure to keep the area clean. Once in the morning and once at night. 

As for the supplements I take Vitamin C and Vitamin A. After taking those supplements I follow it with a tablespoon of coconut oil. I also take magnesium citrate at night which is a natural stool softer and works as a natural muscle relaxer.

It’s been a week now, and today when I had to use the restroom there was no pain. Yes I still know the fissure is there and it might not be fully healed yet but for the first time I’m so happy I’m pain free and I’m not afraid to use the restroom anymore. I’m going to continue doing this in slowly but surely reintroduce my body to solid food and slowing introduce fiber into my diet. I’m also staying away from red meat and dairy for now. 

So that is how I’m healing my fissure, if you’re going through this I’m so so sorry... I feel your pain, if you’re like me and would like to try the natural way of healing it first before surgery then try this. I understand what it’s like and how terrifying it is but just know you’re not alone. This will pass and I hope you heal as well. If you have any questions I’m more than happy to help to the best of my knowledge and let you know the steps and experiences I’ve gone through with this. 

12 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello and thank you for this information. First I wanted to see how your doing. I hope much better. Second, I was on the right track when I first tried to fast thinking that this would help me. The fast I did which I've done before entails drinking a lemonade drink that consists of organic lemons, cayenne pepper, dark maple syrup and distilled water. I did this for almost a week. I also had a prescription for the nitroglycerine which I applied as prescribed, 3 times a day. Unfortunately this did not help me. It seems that every time I feel like I'm getting better I have a setback. Ugh!!!

A little history on me. I had a colonoscopy a few years ago and was told I had hemorrhoids that I didn't know I had until the colonoscopy. I didn't start having any problems with them until a year after my colonoscopy. I since have had three hemorrhoids removed by the CRH O'Regan banding procedure. I was doing great!!...but I had a bowel movement where I strained very hard. A few days later I felt terrible all over again. Come to find out, I must have caused a fissure, very small but still painful none the less.

Now I'm here on this forum trying to find ways to heal myself. I take Benefiber as prescribed by my doctor for constipation. I eat fairly well but probably could back off some of the more heavy foods, I exercise three times a week vigorously! I own a squatty potty which I wasn't using for a while before I had this major setback (major mistake). I use the nitroglycerine. I've been to pelvic floor training. Still getting so close to feeling better but never do completely.

I'm hoping to hear that your feeling much better as I would like to try this method to see if it works for me. It's gone on WAY too long and is impacting the quality of my life way too much. Hopefully you will read this and respond.

Thanks and continued healing and success to you!

• Posted

Hello Vincent,

I’m doing well thank you for asking. I’m about 95% healed now. Trust me I understand your pain. You can heal but you really have to fast for the first two days try just drinking water that’s all no solids no fiber. It goes against everything your doctor tells you, they advise you to add fiber to your diet but that’s counterintuitive because you should limit your bowel movement and if you need to it should be a small amount. Fiber adds bulk to your stool in which even though your bowel movement is soft it’s still going to be a large amount which can open up the fissure again. Trust me when I say fasting will make a major difference. Fast for two days with nothing but water on the third day you can start adding your lemon regime if you want and stick nothing to liquid I can’t stress that enough. I have internal hemmorhoid too and it’s even more painful when you have to push it back in with a fissure. After the third day stick to liquid diet ONLY I did that for a week and THEN I started slowly but surely started adding solid food like fruits and veggies. I STAY AWAY FROM RED MEAT, DAIRY (especially cheese) since they can form the hardest stool. Make a trip to the store and get some antibiotic and zinc cream that will save you from your pain. After you put those three apply the nitroglycerin cream right after. Make sure to drink magnesium citrate, vitamin c, and vitamin a everyday then follow it up with a table spoon of coconut oil vitamin a needs fatty acid to work its best. Those supplements will help promote healing as well. You can do it. A week of fasting/liquid diet is very doable I’ve done it and honestly I don’t even get as hungry anymore so im able to eat much less food now and with every meal I drink water water water. Think about it when animals are sick they stop eating right? I really want you to get better because I understand the emotional stress it can put you through so please just do that and be patient I promise you it will get better. I decided I never want to feel this type of pain ever again so I’ve taken the steps to take care of myself and even though I’m almost fully healed I’m still following this because I don’t wanna risk going back to square one. I barely started adding solids again and I’m starting off with fish, wheat bread, fruits and veggies. Feel better and if you have questions or something still feels confusing let me know I’ll help you to the best of my ability 😁 

By the way the rubber band liagation, I’ve been thinking about it. Can you tell me more about your experience? How was it? Did it hurt? Thank you

• Posted

Hello again and thank you for the response! I would like to try this regime but I did have some reservations about using the antibiotic cream and zinc internally. I was doing some research on this and didn't find any reason not to be able to use it internally but I know for sure it was only meant to be used externally or topically. I would imagine if you had an issue with this you would have said so. Does your doctor know that you have used it internally? I'm curious and if so did he/she give you any advice/warnings?

Like I was explaining before. I had the banding done and was feeling great for a year! I made the big mistake in thinking that because I had the banding done and felt great I could strain during a bowel movement, well we see where that got me. I did have an MRI but no detection of the fissure, it was the doctor from the O'Regan company that located it. He said it's small, but we both know how painful it can be even if it's small. Probably didn't have it before I did that major strain.

So yes now I'm dealing with it and I am feeling better until I have a bowel movement then I'm usually feeling some pain right after for about an hour, then it goes away, obviously this is not how I want to live so I'm really considering a fast, maybe not the lemonade fast as I think that didn't work well for me. Maybe the Mean Green juice will be better for me. Look it up if you've never heard of it.

As for the banding. I had the CRH O'Regan banding method done which is different from the typical banding. Here is a link to it:

https://www.crhsystem.com/crh-oregan-system/

The only thing I felt was the feeling like you have to have bowel movement and it felt really sore. Lasted about a day depending on what time of the day you have this done and then subsided everyday after that, I was better about the third or fourth day. Really the first few hours are tough. All I took was Tylenol for the pain and of course rested.

Well, thank you for getting back to me. I hope you continue to heal to 100%!

• Posted

i have a concern about the fasting because when I have fasted (once a year), my bowels are very slow. it takes a while to get them moving; therefore, constipation sets in. its like a vicious circle: no eating, no bulk,.. then a few days later having to deal with constipation and hard stools...

im fearful to try the fasting and then have more problems with constipation.

• Edited

Maybe try a juice feast instead of a water fast. A juice feast is where you only consume fresh organic fruit, vegetable and leafy green juice. No diuretics like coffee or chocolate. If you are going to consume a diuretic, then drink extra juice to keep your body hydrated. Only juices but as much as you feel you need. Fasting = Resting. But Feasting gives your body all the calories it needs, so you can still safely do all activities you regularly do. And learn to gently do enemas using warm water (not saline as it might feel burn) if you do feel the urge to defecate. Good luck.

• Edited

can you specified how many mg of Magnesium you take? and when do you take the supplements and coconut oil? Night or day?

• Posted

Hello,

Sorry took a while to get back to ya, hope you're doing well. Magnesium I take 400 mg in total I take one in the morning and one at night before bed. Make sure to get the magnesium citrate. The vitamin C AND A also in the morning and i just take 1 1000 mg of vitamin c once per day and also 1 vitamin a once per day. Take a tablespoon of coconut oil right after you take vitamin A

• Edited

thanks for your reply. I am doing better (just started week three) but not totally healed. i couldnt find vit A for less than 2400 mcg which is much higher than what is recommended according what I read.

• Posted

I took Magnesium Citrate and I would recommend starting off with 400 mg at night see how your body reacts to it and you can then take 1 in the morning 1 at night. Again this is just what I did so always consult with your doctor first especially if you take any other medications that might conflict with any of the supplements listed

• Posted

hi do the magnesium citrate is a pill? I just wanna make sure I get the right stuff is it a pill or something you drink I keep thinking it’s the stuff you drink right before a colonoscopy that makes you just go like water so I wanna make sure I’m getting the right information?

• Edited

does it work for chronic fissure??

• Posted

That was my first fissure and I pray my last because going through that is so depressing. Im happy to say that im healed completely, I just watch what I eat now 😃 Im not so sure about chronic but I recommend you try it. Hope you feel better soon

• Posted

im on the same boat . i pushed a little too hard and now it feels like I gave myself a million papercuts in my butt . The doctor perscribed me a suppository of hydrocortisone acetate 25mg . Wouldnt be easier to rub the tripple antibiotic on the suppository?

• Posted

Hi everyone, I am 4 weeks post botox for a significant tear, I have been bed and house bound for 7 weeks. After botox first week was awful and then it eased slightly. I would poo in the am, have horrendous pain for a few hours then manage to get up and move about the house a bit.

I'm really struggling with the pain and the emotional side of it. I have been in constant pain for 7 weeks and been unable to do anything with the family. It's really getting me down. I take gabapebtin, paravental, naproxen I also use dilatzem and germoloids cream. Lactulose and fybogel every day.

The pain the past few days has left me in my bed.

I also have a rectoceil prolapse and not sure if I have the start of a rectal prolapse as after i go to the toilet I have to push a lump back in. I really feel like I want a stoma as I feel like the prolapse will get worse and the internal and external piles with the tears will bother me for the rest of my life... Any thoughts.??!

• Posted

OMG! I was gonna give botox a shot but after reading what you are going through, I will just stick to Nigloceryn (stared on Friday). still havent seen any improvement but I truly do not want to lose hope. i was able to heal them before for almost 9 months but my doctor told me to stop using stool softener and guess what?? just one day of strain had turned my life living hell. I truly hope you get back to be yourself and heal!

• Posted

Hi, sorry to hear your going through this... Its awful... I must say that at about week 6 I started to feel a bit better the pain on doing a bm eased and only had some pain after the bm which was bearable.. I had about 2 weeks of feeling a bit better but still limited in how much walking I can do and not bck at work but was doing OK. Had a sore day today, normal bm and thought I might need to go again, slighty strained just to check and nothing came and then noticed a tiny bit of blood on the toilet papaer and now I have been really sorry all day... Nightmare... Its so depressing. The surgeon wants me to have more botox but I'm not keen at this time..

• Posted

Try not to strain because that is how mine reopened again. I had 9 month of pain free and a week of minor strains, returned the most dreadful nightmare. I added MOM before sleep and it has soften my stool tremendously which it has help or ease the pain. Wishing you speedy recovery because no one can live like this ... this an awfully situation honestly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.