(peri)menopause symptoms I have had

Posted , 16 users are following.

I've been on this site for about 2 weeks and have really found it helpful. I notice that a lot of discussions about symptoms are a few years old and thought maybe I could start a new discussion on the topic to see if anyone else is dealing with the same things currently.

I am 48 years old and still get my period. They aren't always regular, sometimes light as 2 days and some heavy for 5-7 days.

my symptoms are:

I feel disconnected from things going on around me sometimes

anxiety that can be through the roof (mostly around my period)

I can't stop obsessing about my health

aches and pains mostly on my left side. Doesn't seem to bother me if I'm busy doing something or out for a walk. It's more of a dull ache accompanied with a tingling sensation that can start in my arm, through the bottom of my ribs and down to my thigh. My doctor says this is a symptom of anxiety, but I don't know if that's true.

digestion problems

stiff neck

stiff shoulder

dry mouth

clogged ear

night sweats

I'm sure I could find more, but those are the ones that really scare me the most. I feel like anytime I sense one of these symptoms coming on it sends my anxiety into over drive and I can't calm myself down. The symptoms come and go, so I do end up feeling like I'm better and then bam a few days later I'm hit with something again!

Sorry for the rant, just want to know if I'm not alone in this battle. I really want to know if there's light at the end of the tunnel!

5 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi there... This is how it all began for me...its a copy of how I was and at times still have the same.. It's a rollar coaster but hang tight as you are not along... The joyless Ness of it all is awful. I developed ibs throught the change which has been the worst... However I think I am coming out the other side... Take so good supplements vit bde and magnesium... Exercise has been my saving grace even when I do not feel like it... On this site search for 66 symptoms of menapause for more info and keep checking in here for support... Hang tight girl as you are not alone.. I'm 48 BTW.. CK

• Posted

Thank you Carol! It makes me feel a bit more at ease knowing I'm not alone in this. I'll check out the 66 symptoms..I probably have most of them lol. I've taken up long walks and that does seem to take my mind off the worry a bit! I'm hanging on and happy to know I'm not the only one <3

• Posted

It's awful frightening as so much is going on with our bodies... Be kind to yourself and go with it when you can.. CK 😉

• Posted

Your symptoms look so familiar! I agree with most of you that anxiety is the worst. It’s tough to get around. The disconnected feeling I think is anxiety based. I rarely am engaged in what’s going on bc my mind wonders to my symptoms and worries. I find myself looking at other women and thinking how good it must feel to NOT be in this time of life. My only daughter is about to leave for college and this should be a time I can relax with a bit more free time. Instead I’m having work up the nerve to leave the house. I’m 47 and 20 month’s post-meno. Hoping it gets better soon! 
    • Posted

I’m about to be an empty nester too! My daughter will be living away at college in 16 days! It has me feeling so sad as she is my youngest. My husband is constantly telling that this should be a good thing.. proves we’ve done a great job and she is ready for the next journey in life. I just can’t get as excited as they are and it bums me out! I know this is a process and each symptom is a step to get through.. i just wish they weren’t so all over the place! 
    • Posted

I’m keeping a diary of symptoms and hoping seeing a pattern will help. I am stresssd about the school drop off, I admit.  I am far more emotional than normal and I worry about how that will play out. 
    • Posted

That’s a great idea! I will do the same and see if there is a pattern to mine as well! 
  • Posted

Welcome to my world! LOL! I think you will find that many of us have the same stuff! I thought I was dying until I found this site! I have a lot of issues with my left side as well. I have horrible health anxiety too. I'm all good and then some new "pain" comes along and sends me into a tailspin again. But this site has really helped to calm me b/c I know other people are having the same symptoms. I'm 45. Hang in there!

• Posted

Thanks Beth! It has definitely helped me too! I really felt so alone and scared of the unknown... this has really opened my eyes up! I was always told that this time in my life would be all about hot flashes! This is so much more than that! I wish i just had hot flashes!! 
    • Posted

Beth I felt just like you!!!! I would get so anxious when in pain would go away to be replaced by another!!! I wish none of us had to go through this but it does give much comfort knowing your not the only!!!  Xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.