're being taken off predisolone

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all

Could anyone give me some advice on other medication for pmr

I've had a phone call from my doc reg my blood as last time I went for blood test one of my blood showed some markers

Now the doc got in touch with rheumatologist with the intention of gett me off predisolone with being on it g or over so year with the intention of giving me something else I didn't have time to ask her what other medicine there is before she went so please can anyone advice me what other medicine there is

Thank you

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

As Sheila says pred is the only thing for PMR. Some people are given such things as Methotrexate with pred which is supposed to help reduce the pred faster, although it does not seem to work for everyone. As PMR tends to last at least two years I do not know why the doctor wants you off the pred so quickly. It is up to the PMR making the decision not the doc.

Do you know what your blood markers are? I found it is quite useful to get a printout so I can see how things are going.

• Posted

Hi Ptolemy

No I'm sorry I don't know what the markers were I didn't know you could ask for a print out next time I go for blood taken I will ask if it up agAin

Thank you

• Posted

I found that because I was getting the printouts I became much more knowledgable about blood. I just ask reception for a copy. In fact recently I am able to get my results on line which is even better and easier.
  • Posted

There should be no reason to take you off prednisone, unless you are allergic to it, in which case you would be put on a different, somewhat less convenient, steroid, like hydrocortisone.  By far the majority of PMR patients take more than two years to reach remission.  If your markers have increased it could be from anything, a cold even.  If the activity of PMR has increased (how are you feeling?) it means far from being taken off pred you should probably be on slightly more.  What is your current dose?
    • Posted

Hi Anhaga

I'm on 10 mg trying to go down to 9 1/2 following Eileens dsns method but every time I go down to 91/2 my shoulders and knees ache

I still feel quite sore to touch my upper arms like a bruised feeling even from a gentle touch

I dint have a cold or feel poorly when they took my blood so I.don't understand why one of my markers was raised

Thank you for your reply

• Posted

Paula, do you have PMR pain on the first day you decrease to 9.5 mg?
    • Posted

It seems to be there all the time Michdonn the bruised feeling has never gone even since I started the pred at 15 mg but I can turn over in bed now as before I started on it I couldn't Thank you

• Posted

If you have symptoms - then you have inflammation that isn't being managed and that will raise your markers. You sound as if you need 10mg at the moment - it took me over 4 years to get significantly below 10mg without a return of symptoms. There are a lot of factors involved and trying to force a reduction is just one - if you let a flare in, it puts you back and increases the time you are on higher doses of pred.

• Posted

Paula, if you do not have the PMR under control you need more Prednisone till you get it under control. The longer you wait the more Prednisone you will have to take in the long run. I was at 7 mg last year had a flare, instead of jumping on the flare I followed doctor's advice and ended up on 30 mg to get relief. Consequently I am taking much more Pred than I would have taken if I increased my dosage dramatically at first. It not a race to get off Pred, take your time. With a smile! ??

• Posted

Thank you Eileen

So when I go see the rheumatologist and they want me to take methotrexate should I accept their opinion and just carry on with the 10 mg of pred and not bother with methotrexate I'm fed up with them wanting me to be off pred

• Posted

It's a personal decision - methotrexate does help some people so if it doesn't make you ill it may be worth trying. I personally would prefer to try longer with just the pred - but that's me and what I have done. Maybe if I could get past of my fear of mtx it might work - I don't know.

• Posted

hi paula  you dont say how long you have had pmr.     there is no other  med for pmr.  and i am suprised   your doc  dont know this      oh  i have reread your post, and see you have been taking it for 1  year,  not long at all.

so why would he come off it, also what amount of  dosage  are you on at the mo x

• Posted

Hi Pauline

I had per since around Feb last year God knows Pauline I only wish I knew

Thank.you for your reply

• Posted

Paula, my Rheumy was trying to get me on to another drug or supplement the Prednisone. She gave me a list of options all no good! I gave her all the articles on the website and suggested that I just taper off the Prednisone, after several discussion, she is just letting me taper at my slow pace. Thank God for the website! Good luck stick to your guns it is your body! Think positive with a smile. ☺️
    • Posted

Paula, there really isn't any drugs other than Prednisone, which is also used in treating other conditions. It appears that some doctors would like us to try some of the drugs that are used for the other conditions. That is the only thing I can figure. I researched several on line and said no way. I have been doing just fine on the Pred once I got off the high dosage.

Good luck. ??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.