're being taken off predisolone

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all

Could anyone give me some advice on other medication for pmr

I've had a phone call from my doc reg my blood as last time I went for blood test one of my blood showed some markers

Now the doc got in touch with rheumatologist with the intention of gett me off predisolone with being on it g or over so year with the intention of giving me something else I didn't have time to ask her what other medicine there is before she went so please can anyone advice me what other medicine there is

Thank you

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Other than Actemra there is no other drug for PMR - and being on pred for a year is nothing. It may be your GP has seen markers for somthing else that could resemble PMR but if it is only PMR - they need to get up to date with their info:

https://www.medpagetoday.com/rheumatology/generalrheumatology/66912

PMR lasts a median of 5.9 YEARS, not months - and the sooner doctors learn that the better. There are also few adverse effects frm PMR doses that a matched population of people wouldn't develop without being on pred. This is work from a top PMR expert at the Mayo who is concerned that patients are being short-changed due to the fear of pred that pervades the medical profession.

If it ISN'T PMR they need to find out what and manage it appropriately. But if it is PMR - there aren't other options that replace pred, even Actemra does necessarily replace pred,  and after a year I personally wouldn't want to try Actemra with its potential side effects when I hadn't tried for at least a few years to reduce sensibly. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.