"Victories in Self-Compassion/Self-Care/Self-Nurturing"

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi ladies,

I was reading a few posts and saw a theme about wanting to be more self caring and self loving towards ourselves. And I thought maybe we can share what we've done to be more gentler to ourselves.

I remember over a decade ago a friend made the comment that I was so hard on myself. It took me by surprise and actually I had no idea what she even meant. Since then I've realized that I'm what you'd call a perfectionist. And now going through peri, perfectionism and being hard on myself is really working against me.

So I thought maybe we can share on what one or two things that we've done daily to be more self compassionate with ourselves.

I can start. I woke up late today. 11:30 am. I always put myself down when I wake up late. Thinking other people are at work, I've wasted half a day. I'm lazy etc. Today I followed those thoughts with compassion for myself 1. I'm still recovering from surgery so I can give myself a break, listen to my body and give it what it needs 2. I don't have any place to be today so it's OK. 3. I'm sure there's others in their pj's at that time.

Anyone else being nice to themselves today? ??

2 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My "self-nurture victory" today was I put on makeup!

Since my peri symptoms escalated last year I chopped my hair off and wore a beanie if I went out and nothing on my face not even moisturizer.

Today, I put on foundation, powder, lipstick (even used a lip pencil!) and put some effort into doing my hair. No beanie today! And went and got myself some frozen yogurt. ??

Anyone else want to share a self-caring/self-compassionate/self-nurturing victory they did for themselves? Anything goes. Spoke up for yourself? Got a massage? Decluttered something? Showered? Got take-out?

• Posted

I did not eat any sugary foods today, and I am a sugar addict.  But I read that sugar feeds bacteria, and I want this infection to go away.  Have followed instructions for my medicine to the letter and only ate healthy foods today.  Hoping that if some good thing is meant to come from this situation that it will be starting some healthy eating habits, a day at a time.
    • Posted

Wow that's awesome. Congrats! That is a huge self-care victory ??????

I'm a sugar addict too.

• Posted

There is bacteria and then there is bacteria! There are lbs of good bacteria in our guts - at least there SHOULD be. They outnumber 'our' cells 10 to 1 and, basically, keep us alive.

This 'good' bacteria is under constant attack from the meds we take and the modern environment we live in. If you are on AB's you need to be eating live yoghurt (not those silly little pots - the real organic stuff). If you Google 'Good Bacteria' you'll be amazed.

We should all be watching what we eat. Forget the hype and the gimmicks and the 'healthy' food that the supermarkets push. A wise person told me to only eat the food our Grandparents would recognise and that would not include all the highly processed cxxp that is on offer now!

Cutting out sugar is a great first move. I know it is hard, I'm a chocoholic! A word of encouragement - since I changed my diet in January (no sugar, less simple carbs and NO highly processed food) I have lost 21 lbs, mostly belly fat. Go on girl, you can do it.cheesygrin

• Posted

my self nurture victory today was me & my hubby put some new solar flower lights around our fish pond & some candle solar lights on our lawn that had been sat in their boxes for over a year! Looking forward to seeing them when it gets darker tonight. xx

• Posted

That sounds really beautiful.  Enjoy!
    • Posted

OMG we really are sisters! I can totally relate to things sitting around the house for years. That's a great victory Sis!!! I bet you feel really good. Wish we could post photos on here. I'd love to see what it looks like. ??????????

• Posted

I appreciate the encouragement.  I have continued to avoid sugar all weekend.  It's not easy, but it will be worth it, hopefully.

• Posted

That's definitely a self-caring victory! Two days in a row is something ??????

I keep having in my mind about your other post about comforting yourself with sweets after your accident and totally see myself doing that this last month after my gallbladder surgery and neck dystonia. Thinking it's okay for now since I'm in do much pain I deserve this, I'll treat myself. It's a slippery slope and now I'm doing this daily. Didn't even see it until you wrote it. Even had Ding dongs today and haven't had those since I was a teenager. It's a slippery slope.

Just going to try one moment, one hour one day at a time b

• Posted

Yes, do take it a moment at a time.  For me, with the PTSD, it became a slippery slope in a hurry.  Other bad habits that I'd never had in my life suddenly were tempting and easy to add to the list.  I really think that's why my health has been such a mess this year.  I believe it caught up with me.  As far as the sugar goes, fighting this UTI is a nightmare, and I'm hoping that not feeding the bacteria will help... also started on organic cranberry tablets, which are supposed to help.  Let's think good thoughts for each other!

• Posted

Yes let's think good positive thoughts for each other and ourselves.

Also once I stopped the Cipro I got probiotic tablets to reintroduce the good bacteria. I can't say whether I felt any better because of them but read to do that. Xx

• Posted

I will look into that!  Thanks. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.