1 down 1 to go!!!

Posted , 8 users are following.

First TKR in Febuary this year. All good until beginning of September when I had inflammation in knee. Xrays showed the replacement still very good but swelling around it caused by inflammation all good now.

when seeing G. P. she checked other leg that I thought was playing up due to walking differently, No it is now bone on bone the knee cap is also bone on bone the same as my replaced one was. So saw consultant Friday at one pm. Said yes needs doing. Next day postman bought letter with my date 6 th November not bad three weeks.

Madly Christmas shopping, carpet shopping, trying to organise Who will do Christmas as all were coming to us, and remembering what I could do same time with first one know will not do Christmas. 

Also have a cruise booked for 2nd January 2016 will be 7 weeks post op so think it will be ok as not planning to do to much anyway. 

Now madly doing all pre op exercises etc. not what I wanted but am glad I didn't have to wait months. 

So in two weeks I will be in absolute agony thinking why did I do it?. But will also know that time goes quick and will soon be all behind me. See pantomimes have started.

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I know it's all a bit of a rush for you, especially With the exercises etc, but it's good news that you're getting sorted so quickly.

My right TKR was in March, and my left is next Thursday 😨

Same as you, bone on bone on bone, it's no fun. I've had more notice than you, I knew the last week of July than.I was getting #2 done, but I feel like I've got so much still to do before surgery day......Good luck, I hope all goes perfectly xx

• Posted

Louise hope all goes well for you - wow you are lucky ito have this done so quick. Are you private or NHS ?

To give you an example of the current waiting lists and how busy these procedures currently are in the UK,   I am booked on to have my TKR on 30th Nov  from a booking made in July 2015

and this is private - fully funded by my medical insurance. Although it must be said that the surgeon who will be performing the procedure is one of the top 5 knee surgeons in the UK.

I wish you every success with your TKR and no more pain ??!!

you sound as though you have the right attitude for this anyway.

best wishes Jude

• Posted

Hi, no I am nhs. In Chichester St Richards hospital. I will have the same surgeon so feel quite lucky. I go for joint school and pre op assessment tomorrow. No looking forward to it but I will have spine block with the highest sedation that they give lol. Last one started this way then ended in a general anaesthetic. Good luck with yours not long now x
  • Posted

Hello Louise     What you explained about your TKR has happened to me yesterday bad swelling & pain. had op in may can just about manage it untill yesterday ,Have had xray ok so how long did it take to come good ? for you to have another knee
    • Posted

It took nearly a month to completely stop hurting and get back to normal. I didn't think about inflamation but with rest and back doing the excercises it helped. X
  • Posted

Good luck for 6th November I am at hospital on the 13th having X-rays on my other knee hope I don't have to wait too long for op as in agony x
  • Posted

good luck louise  3 weeks wow !!!! im ver impressed  take it easy for christmas as i know too well how christmas is a nightmare to prepare for when you have just had surgery ,let everyone help you ,i had my bi lateral done at the begining of dec 2012 and i made sure i had all prezzies ready and wrapped soo glad i did as i had problems after and i couldnt wrap a box of matches i was soo tired .great to have no time to think about it soo pleased for you
  • Posted

Best of luck to you Louise ! I had my left TKR on August 31st and I find out on nov 6th when my right gets done. Thinking it will be Dec 2nd. Very nervous and scraed as I still have a lot of pain even at 8 weeks post op. Have to get it done though before the end of the year so I don't pay the $3500 deductible again next year.

• Posted

Good luck Peg. We are so lucky with our NHS although we pay into it through our taxes. What part of the States are you? 
    • Posted

Hi peg, I wish you good luck too, with your upcoming surgery!!!! As we all know who are reading these posts, it is NOT fun. Same goes to you what I posted to louise. Your first priority is you...getting better!!!! Let others take over some of the holiday load. Hope to see you both back on these posts when your feeling better.
    • Posted

Louise I have private insurance thru Hubby and I'm in Indiana.
    • Posted

That is sometimes better than nhs my brother and his family live in Oklahoma and the medical care they get is good xxxx
    • Posted

Our Christmas is pretty easy really. We go to middle son's hhoouse for breakfast , presents with his wife and the grandkids., AND my son's birthday. We go home for a while and then up to my daughters. My oter son and wife meet us there, Son-in-law, and 2 grand-daughters Christmas. Also my grand-daughters birthday !! Lol  Yep we have 2 Christmas birthdays ! So sad that due to family problems we can't all be together bu I really just need to show up to these events.
    • Posted

It is sad when children do not get on. We have three daughters but two are very close but they do not talk to our eldest. We understand the differences but nothing we can do. You have a great time and thanks for your concerns. Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.