1 week with bell's palsy

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I was diagnosed with Berks palsy 1 week ago, 5 weeks after having a baby! I was on a steroid dose pack and antiviral meds for a week. I've started having excruciating pain behind the ear on the affected side. It's so bad specially at night. Has anyone else expedience pain?

1 like, 57 replies

57 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thats awesome, do whatever works for you, glad the ear pain has stopped. Crazy thing waking up like that with something i never heard of. Glad ur getting better 
    • Posted

Yes donna, I'm so grateful for this forum, makes me feel less like I'm going through this alone!
  • Posted

I'm so happy you're seeing some improvement! I didn't get any brow movement at all until I was 3+ weeks into it, even though my eye was getting easier to close and keep closed. So hopefully you're just a few days away from movement! That first time you can feel (and see) your brow just barely twitch is seriously magical. I was over the moon. I'm hoping you get to experience the same feeling here any day now! I remember just saying every day "all I want to do is have a normal functioning eye. I don't care if I can never move my brow or lips again as long as I have a normal eye..." It was so hard not being able to close it, so I'm so glad you have more movement and that the ear pain is much less!

I'm so thankful for this forum and for everyone who has posted on here. It's so scary to go through and I'm so happy that just merely sharing my experiences can help someone as others' experiences helped me.

• Posted

Yes erin, I am beyond grateful for this forum, it makes it easier to go through with yalls help! I'm so happy my eye is almost closed, that was the main thing that's been hard. I hate having to tape it at night and be a bit impaired tending to my 6 week old in the middle of the night! I'm praying to see the slighted movement on my brow and lip!
  • Posted

Wow although been over 2 years since i woke to thisnightmare but my eye brow works anso does my eye i still fell a numbness in those places all this time , i pray that never comes back, i try to lesson my worry an stress , so etimes easier said then done. Yes sleeping an showering with eye patch was awlful, i wish u both speedy recovery , always to remember exercise ur face through out the day massage it also. Singing uses lottas facial muscles. 
  • Posted

Okay I have a question, I stated to get that pain behind my rear and scalp again, and stayed to have facial soreness again, is good normal? I've only Massaged today so confused as to why is back. I'm also workroom mind of weird sensation when I easy socially something cold on that side. Side from that I have some movement on my brow, I can flare up my nostril a bit, and I can move my mouth very so slightly. Anything is better than nothing! I'm just worried it can get worse again!
  • Posted

I also forgot to to state that I'm getting sinus pains from my nose draining and the cold!
  • Posted

Yes the fear of return is something I worryabout, did u lose your tastebuds at all. idid fora very long time months i fact, thenas itslowly returned i would havedayswere i could tastethenso eti es i could not. Just curious if that happenedto anybody else. 
    • Posted

My tongue was a little numb for a few days but I didn't loose taste buds. I've had the pain in my ear/scalp all day!
    • Posted

I lost my tastebuds for 9 months;.  I am still struggling for close to 2 years.  I had eyelid surgery a month ago but my eye still isn't open as much as the good eye.  I will try botox again and then maybe more surgery.
  • Posted

I heard losing your tastebuds is pretty normal. And the pain will go away. I'm sorry you have to deal with it. I literally feel your pain... But there's an end. Just gotta hang in there! smile
    • Posted

There is no end for 1% of the population.  I will always have these problems.  Can't smile either.  Not everyone gets over this.
    • Posted

Thank you erin! It comes and does some times more tolerable than the others! On the bright side I have some movement on my brow, I'm starting to be able to flare my nostril, and I have very little movement on my mouth and cheek, but it's better than nothing! I hope that's all signs of more to come! 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.