1 year post TKR ...still uncomfortable when I go on my knees

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all.

Well it's gone 1 year and been an interesting journey. Just wanted to catch up and compare with others really. I can walk long distances without pain which is great , knee still feels stuff at times and clicks about. I thought I would be able to get onto my knees not that I need to very often but with young grandchildren needing nappy changing then I do ...not comfortable at all ! A bit painful really and stiff and sore when I get up ...is this the same for everyone?

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Give the clicking a little more time.  It should be almost gone in the next 6 months.  At 2 1/2 years, I still hear an odd clunk every once in a while but not on any regular basis.  The stiffness will also continue a while longer.  It will be better the more you use the knee.  Long-time TKR veterans say that the stiffness will absolutely return if you don't keep the knee active.  Fair warning.

The pain when kneeling is not the knee...it's the nerves.  This will take a looooong time to resolve or never completely go away.  Not much you can do except use a 4" foam pad indoors and padded tactical-style kneepads outside.  Kneeling directly on wood, concrete, tile, hard dirt, etc. will absolutely cause that pain...don't do that.  Otherwise, you're pretty much done.  Just keep the knee and quad exercises going...this is a lifelong recovery.

• Posted

I’m 8 eeeks our it scares me to hear problems a year later!
  • Posted

I'm unable to kneel unless it's to steady myself waist height I'm not bothered I can walk without pain I can climb stairs slowly. I'm a grandma although my oldest grandson is 27 years but if i was needed to change a babys nappie i would put the changing mat .... towels on a higher surfaces. Manipulate around jobs I say and do always. Good luck for the future. Hopefully no more ops 2 knee replacements are enough for me 😁😁😁

• Posted

5 months in and mine not going quite as well as first one. I never expected to kneel again anyway and I don't have enough flexion in either knee anyway. I'm in the UK and was advised not to kneel anyway. Two year old one rattles a little bit but not concerning. Doesn't get that stiff but never did. The new one however gets stiff after exercise and standing for periods but walking and resting are pain free. The worst thing is the new one has started to lock sporadically, feels like the LCL (lateral collateral ligament) is catching or going into spasm. Eases after an hour or so but is a bit tender in that region as is the other knee. Probably connected to the massive straightening of my bow leggedness. I know now that I will never get past 95 deg flexion in my knees, as they were for years before, and will just have to deal with that inconvenience.

From a couple of years on here and the other very good forum I have learned to ignore "useful" suggestions from others who think they are an authority on knees and I realise that almost every individual will have a completely different outcome ranging from a disaster to playing sport depending on their starting point, age, their surgeon and luck. We are all going to be different and you just have to get the most from yours and not be jealous of those who seem better because there are a few out there who may end up virtually never walking. 

• Posted

I was told I may never be able to kneel, but my donkey knocked me over last week and I got on my knees and pulled myself up. I didnt feel pain but my adrenalin was running so I dont know. Mad at the donkey but proud I could stand up. My problem is that my thighs are getting weak and I walk like a toddler with a full diaper. Weighing whether to go back to physical therapy or hoping a bike will do the trick. I hate therapy.
  • Posted

PS: One of the biggest problems about kneeling is getting up again.  Early on, it's because of the atrophied muscles in your quads, glutes and core.  Do the exercise program to rebuild that muscle group to eliminate that issue.  However, the nerve pain associated with kneeling on a hard surface will most likely always be problematic.  I consider it a small price to pay for walking again pain-free.

• Posted

No one ever told me my muscles would atrophy. I thought I was getting paralyzed from my RA. Last week I went to my rheumatologist and she said what you dont use, you lose. So I have been forcing myself to walk more. The pain in my thighs is bad, but I am pushing thru. Thanks for verifying that. Would be nice if orthos warned you. I have a recumbent bike which I used after the tkr's. Gotta start using it again. Thanks again.

• Posted

I agree, being able to walk 10 miles pain free means so much to me ..
    • Posted

The bike is great for ROM work and warmups but you need serious strength exercises to rebuild those muscles.  This is crucial to recovery...walking, balance, stairs and more.  Gym work is preferable but a cheap set of exercise bands at home can be very useful.  And yes, no one told any of us anything pre-op.  Pain, recovery time, post-op depression, atrophied muscle rebuild, meds, sleeping...  Click my name and scroll down the Discussion box to "See All Discussions".  Every time I hit a wall of some kind, I read a lot on the Forum, did some additional research and wrote about it from my perspective.  There's stuff there for your spirit too...that's soooo important and no one talks about it. 

• Posted

Yes, Penny...that success really makes all the pain worthwhile.  Love it...
  • Posted

Pennypop,

Its been 6 months for me and I still have a terrible time putting all my weight to kneel down.  I too wonder if this will always be the case.  Also, my knee is still very stiff especially coming down the stairs.  Have you experienced either of these?

Susan

• Posted

Yes I have the same stiffness coming down stairs and also when I first stand up ...
    • Posted

Six months is waaaaay too soon for a full recovery usually of 12 months with maybe some lingering crap for another six. Time, work and patience.  Give it time to heal, do the ROM and muscle rebuild work, and have patience with the knee...it will all resolve when it's time...

• Posted

Hi, good to hear you are doing well.

Still improvements are coming your way!

with something nice and soft under knees I am fine. And now 18 months post op it's betterthn 12 months, so be encouraged.

• Posted

Hi,

so I'm 18 months post op for a left TKR and my issues are stiffness, clicking and the stairs,especially going down where I get a clunking  painful feeling while my knee bends while alternating legs going down. Also stiffness and pain if I walk for a good amount of time. ROM is very good. No pain if resting but the stairs are a killer. Did a good 5 months of pt. Now going to the gym and riding a bike and some leg presses for the last 3 months. I went back to my surgeon a he says I still have to build my quad.

Getting frustrated. As far as kneeling or on my knees I really don't have to? Anyone else having these issues? Thanks and good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.