Today marks 1 year since my last drink. What does this mean:

- I have not spent 10,952$ on wine

- I have lost weight

- I have started back at running

- I am proud of myself

- And my husband is proud of me too

- I do not wake up hungover

- I remember what I did last night

- I started collecting something I've always dreaming of doing so I get tons of joy from that.

I could keep going but in all it was not easy but worth it. The hardest part wasn't the not drinking but dealing with my life with no alcohol. Learning That I can not just throw in the towel when things get bad and drink my worries and problems away. It's a hard, long process that just doesn't happen from one day to the next because I stopped drinking but am stronger now for understanding my limitations and what I can accept. Learning that even though I love the taste and feelings I get from wine I have a bad relationship with it and like any bad relationship it had to end.

So today I took myself out for lunch and bought myself a present and will start year 2 SOBER and PROUD. Maybe I will be able to take a trip or put my money somewhere better then in those bottles.

3 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It is so great to hear good news. Way to go and congratulations. Keep on enjoying the life of sobriety!!!
  • Posted

Very well done Mrs Smile, one day I hope to be able to write a similar post myself. The force is strong however!
    • Posted

Thanks! 😁Yes, I do get that and it is not always a walk in the park. I can't fix you but I can send you hugs and positive thoughts 💗💗💗

• Posted

GREAT news!!!! May I ask how old are you? I feel 'old' to stop habits...but hey...old dogs can learn new tricks, right? I'm both and want to learn!!!!

• Posted

43 and have been problem drinking for about 12 years
  • Posted

I'm almost 54 with yes, 10 years of heavy drinking.

• Posted

Totally OUTSTANDING. I know how you feel since I am 5 years 3 months sober and also proud of it. Feeling better and my family is proud of me. Always great to hear a success story here on this forum and long may it last. 😀

• Posted

Thank you Robin. smile WOW! 5 years and 3 months is amazing!!!! One day I hope to say the same.
  • Posted

Congratulations, so happy for you, I know how hard the journey can be 🎂🎉🎈

• Posted

Thank you Shannon 😊 It is hard and stupid me spent 3 days prior to my one year anniversary thinking I could open just one bottle of wine and have a one day celebration but common sense kicked back in and slapped me into place again. So happy I didn't

• Posted

Sorry, I am a bit late to the conversation - missed the notification.

Anyway, AWESOME job, Smile.  This is brilliant.  I am so happy for you.

biggrinbiggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.