Today marks 1 year since my last drink. What does this mean:

- I have not spent 10,952$ on wine

- I have lost weight

- I have started back at running

- I am proud of myself

- And my husband is proud of me too

- I do not wake up hungover

- I remember what I did last night

- I started collecting something I've always dreaming of doing so I get tons of joy from that.

I could keep going but in all it was not easy but worth it. The hardest part wasn't the not drinking but dealing with my life with no alcohol. Learning That I can not just throw in the towel when things get bad and drink my worries and problems away. It's a hard, long process that just doesn't happen from one day to the next because I stopped drinking but am stronger now for understanding my limitations and what I can accept. Learning that even though I love the taste and feelings I get from wine I have a bad relationship with it and like any bad relationship it had to end.

So today I took myself out for lunch and bought myself a present and will start year 2 SOBER and PROUD. Maybe I will be able to take a trip or put my money somewhere better then in those bottles.

3 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm dreaming to get to where you are....you are an inspiration.

• Posted

Wow! That is nice but it really is one day at a time and I've had my share of trips and falls but I kept getting back up. You can do it even if you make small goals. I find those very rewarding smile

• Posted

Yes, I agree.  I have, as most know, tapered slowly and now down to 2 units Monday to Friday or Saturday (each night).  I have fallen like you but at one time I would think, what is the point in this, I can't do it, but I truly believe that this Forum saved me from totally giving in.  When you realise that you are not 'odd' in that you can't go a night without a couple of drinks - it helps big time.  The knowledge that there are many many others just like you, is a boost to your hurt and worried self esteem.  And then you make a plan and share it on here.  That is what has continued to spur me on.  No, I realise I am not 'odd' I am like an awful lot of people who have got smothered by this nightmare, but I refuse to let it get the better of me.  We have to get assertive with the booze - like I love you,  but you are not dictating and you are not shortening my life.  I will choose. 

Really glad to hear all the posts on here as always.  And just great to hear of any success, no matter how small from you all.  May seem small to you, but they are not, they just mean you aint giving in - and good on you smile

Always around.

G.

• Posted

Love what you said there Gwen! Very, very true. Thanks for that. It is nice to know that we are not a odd smile
  • Posted

What a fantastic road trip you have been on - covered the milesΒ - and have won - so very hard to do.Β  You sound in brilliant shape and itΒ is a reminder to us all that we can beat this and come out the other end - healthy and happy.Β  Well done you smile

G.

• Posted

Great to read of your achievement! Keep going, I'm sure you will. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.