10 1/2 months no period - now spotting!

Posted , 12 users are following.

It has been ten and a half months since my last period.  I started spotting a few days ago - very light spotting (brown).  Then it would get a bit more significant, then quiet down again.  There has been some red discharge mixed in with the brown but never enough to where I needed to wear a pad or anything.  

My anxiety is of course high right now.  I am not really having any other issues.  Some very light cramping but that is all.

Is this normal?  Does this mean I have to start the count to that 12 month mark all over again?

4 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Edited

I suggest you go to your gyn.  Best to have it checked out. No one on this site should tell you something's normal and not to have it checked out by a doctor. xxx 

• Edited

I guess I didn't word that very well.  I would never take someones advice or opinion on a message board in place of my dr.  I am more wondering is this has happened to other people.  Sometimes I feel very alone on this journey.

• Posted

As you can see from the replies, this happens to lots of people and can be perfectly normal.  But, it can also be a symptom of cancer.  I should have been more sympathetic in my response.  But I had similar symptoms, just spotting and mild cramping and it was cancer.  So I worry that some ladies who are told it's normal are not going to their doctors. xxx  

• Posted

Sorry hun, but I think you do have to start the count. If your numbers show you're in menopause you should get checked just be sure all is well.

This is where I'm at now....blood work shows I'm menopausal but still having bleeds so doc did hysteroscopy last week. Results were normal. I'm still in peri. Count began all over...

• Edited

I hear this from women all the time, and yes, they say you have to start counting all over again! My sister skipped 9 months, then was at the zoo with her class, in white jeans no less, and got a flooding period with no warning. What a nightmare. Moral of this story, don't wear white jeans, ever. 

• Posted

YES can be normal , your hormones having a failed attempt to do a cycle. I am only 2 months without a period but have been on this forum a few years and loads of ladies have said same. 10,11,12 months then spotting. If your worried see your GP but, i am sure its these pesky hormones. xx
  • Edited

Yes, it's very normal and you're right you have to start counting 12 months again. No getting around it. Only go to your doctor if you bleed for more than 12 days. Otherwise, you're fine.

• Posted

Whats makes me so sure, cause im a retired nurse who worked in ob/gyn. Saw this a lot. Only time it was worrisome was when there was heavy bleeding or non-stop bleeding for 12 days or longer. We did D&C's for non-stop bleeding and a partial hysterectomy if they had too many fibroids.

• Posted

Well, I had only minor spotting, nothing you would deem worrisome in your post, but I was diagnosed with cancer.  If I'd not gone to the doctor with my symptoms, I'd be dead by now.  So, to me a visit to the doctor would be the only way to make sure that nothing's wrong.  

• Edited

Well post menopausal spotting is always a reason for concern and testing. Which I believe that you were menopausal for years, correct?

But peri menopausal spotting is very common and probably very rarely cancer.  In fact thickening of the uterus during perimeno is also very common and very rarely cancer as well. Also having skipped periods and then getting one is also extremely common. 

Let's try and not get everyone worked up about cancer, most of us have anxiety to deal with. Yes, you should always check with your doctor for medical advice. And yes, definitely get checked if you have POST menopausal bleeding. 

• Posted

Sochima, are you the one who told me about iron supplements causing rise in cholesterol? When I was on ferrochel my cholesterol went from 163 to 248. Can you recommend how to raise ferritin levels without taking iron? 
    • Posted

Suzanne, you are correct.  I had post menopausal bleeding.  However, my concern is that some women who are in peri and full menopause who are told that it's probably normal won't go see their doctor, because they feel reassured. 

As far as not getting people worked up because they already have anxiety, I understand that, too.  But dealing with anxiety about what could be happening, frankly is nothing to dealing with the anxiety that results from being diagnosed.

We all contribute to this site and I believe that all the different perspectives come from those who want to help.   

• Posted

I agree that we all benefit from everyone's experience. Just think that when you are referring to what you went through it's important to note that you had spotting after full meno so women don't automatically think they have cancer if they have perimeno spotting. That's all. So many of us in peri are in that health anxiety mode and just the thought that it might be cancer can send us thru the roof. So sorry that you had to go through all that, and I think many women will be saved by your advice. 

XO

• Posted

Thanks, Suzanne. I will mention that I was post menopausal in the future.  XOXO
    • Posted

Yes!  Health anxiety is very real. Both of my parents died of cancer when I was a child.  Mom from a rare blood cancer and my Dad from colon cancer. So that C word is never out of my thoughts.
    • Posted

I'm sorry to hear you had cancer. While it's not a prevalent, it is if you used talcum powder or have a family history, from either side of your family and not limited to prostrate cancer, testicular cancer, ovarian cancer, or any other illness related to the reproductive system. Thereby the chances of getting cancer are much higher. My father had prostate cancer at a very young age, therefore getting checkups is a must for me and any abnormal bleeding is evaluated. Also, as of recent, medical research has shown that people who consume a lot of alcohol, specifically red wine laced with pesticides or beer as well, run a risk of getting breast cancer and/or cancer in the reproductive area or both.

• Posted

Yes, I believe it was me, since I have warned several women against taking it as a supplement for the reason it causes high cholesterol. But first let me ask you, are you anemic? I recommend spinach, red or black or pinto beans, broccoli and last tentils. When I had low iron I ate spinach almost everyday until I no longer felt super tired and nowadays only if I'm tired from over exertion. I'm a salad type of person such that i

love making myself a spinach salad strange, I know, but it really makes me feel good. The cooked beans I mentioned above have lots of iron, which I consume on a need to have basis. If I were you I'd incorporate adding these foods to your diet everyday.

• Posted

Thank you for your kind thoughts. There was no cancer (as far as I am aware) in previous generations--father or mother. But I have a genetic mutation, which I was informed can be spontaneous--just "bad luck."

• Posted

When I tell doctors about the iron supplements they just look at me like I have three heads! grrrrr

I don't have low iron but do have very low ferritin, it's usually hovering at an 8 when it should be ideally 100 for women. 

I have alopecia, and when I was taking the ferrochel my eyelashes and eyebrows grew back (after not having them for 30 years!). I had gotten my ferritin up to about a 23. There must be a connection. But after your advice and checking my cholesterol, I went off the iron and the hair fell out again.

Do you think all iron would cause high cholesterol (like the liquid veggie stuff?).

I don't know about eating that much spinach, doesn't that cause kidney stones or something? Too much oxalate? 

• Posted

Have you tried biotin? It contains iron but not the kind that causes bad cholesterol. Yes, on the oxalates but it takes years to accumulate, however drinking water with lemon in the morning breaks it apart. Sometimes i drink just the juice of a lemon, no water, I'd do this maybe once or twice a year. Can i ask, were your triglycerides high also?

• Posted

Biotin is another supplement I have sitting in my arsenal that I haven't started taking yet! But I'm glad you told me about it, I'm going to start taking it. I can't remember what my triglycerides were and I won't be back home for another few weeks to look at my lab work. I do think I remember my LDL being rather high though. 

I drink lemon water in the mornings as well. I haven't tried it straight up though. 

Do you have any suggestions about Vitamin D? I just read that D3 isn't good for you. Last year I sat in the sun (and I live in Florida so I get sun all year) every day for at least 1/2 hour and my D was still extremely low. My friend is convinced it's because of the chem trails in the sky. I don't know about that, but it does seem strange that we are all deficient, even living in highly sunny areas.

• Posted

I read a lot of medical journals & to date vitamin d3 is essential and absolutely necessary in any form you can get it. I take large doses of it daily to avoid cancer, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes, the list goes on. My vitamin d3 was borderline low, since I never go out in the sun but when I do I only do so before 12 noon. The best sun to take is between 8-11am.

I also forgot to tell you, if you eat raw broccoli florets, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, arugula, with a salad you'll get lots of iron. I eat mixed greens that have all sorts of greens, including spinach so you don't have to buy it separately, I add beets, raisins, cranberries, walnuts, sunflower seeds, shredded cabbage, cucumbers, and onions along with all the stuff I mentioned above . There might other stuff I add but I'm just giving you an example of how you can get iron through food: for dressing do not add oil. No oil at all. I like a balsamic vinaigrette or just balsamic vinegar, or red wine vinegar with a tad of sea salt and pepper. If the vinegar is too strong i add a teaspoon of water. I avoid cheese, no corn, and no raw mushrooms, there are reasons to avoid these. Let me know if you want to know. If you like onions add as much you like.

We live under a veil chem trails that haven't killed us yet. Albeit, your friend maybe right but that doesn't mean we're going to let them get the best of us, now are we? Our weapon against them trying to kill us, ?, is vitamin D3. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, it will save your life, literally.

• Posted

If they don't post what I wrote I'll rewrite it and send it you in a pm.

• Posted

She's convinced that D3 is in rat poison. 

But I hear ya, and for some reason we are all deficient in D. Even us tanned folded who live in Florida. 

Since being so ill these last two years I have added all the things you mention to my diet. Although lately I've been doing some gluten again. Missed that bread! My endocrinologist said I should be eating red meat three times a week, I was like, um, no. 

I just got some biotin today, didn't research which kind, but grabbed one that I thought looked OK. 

• Posted

Yes, well red meat maybe the answer, but if you just eat liver(stock) once a week, that's all the red meat you need. Liver has the highest amount of iron, and can bring your levels up.

I know I just started eating bread again but only sourdough. Less bloating with it.

Any biotin will do as long as it says Biotin on the label.

• Posted

Yes, sourdough for me as well! 

OMG, liver stock? I don't know about that, I'm not sure I could gag it down. But it's worth a shot. I've never even seen liver stock sold. 

• Posted

It's not sold in stores, you make it from liver. Here's the recipe: You marinate the liver: you start by putting the liver in a Mason jar add in lemon (enough to saturate the whole liver covered in lemon juice), add bell pepper, minced garlic & onion's. Put the lid on the jar then let it sit in the fridge overnight, about 16-18 hours. After at least 18 hours, put a pot of water to boil, then take your Mason jar with the contents inside, sit the jar in the boiling water. The idea is to let the contents inside cook with the juices so you can drink it. However, you don't want the jar to tip over, so either use less water or put something heavy on the top of the Mason jar.  All you need to drink is about 1/2 cup daily. You can get at least 2 days worth of it. If you want to eat the liver, since it's been marinated, it's delicious. Just fry it in a pan, with a little olive oil add the onions and bell peppers you originally marinated it with and it should taste a bit lemony but good. You can also add a bit of salt and pepper after it's been cooked. Maybe you can try this, this is an old recipe used in most Spanish countries to give people energy and increase iron. There's no need for iron pills with this type of food and it works to give people iron into their system.  

• Posted

Forgot to add, just make sure the liver is completely cooked through, you won't see any red at all, it should be completely dark gray/brownish color once it's completely cooked. It takes awhile since it being cooked through the Mason Jar. But has all the nutrients you need. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.