10 1/2 months no period - now spotting!

Posted , 12 users are following.

It has been ten and a half months since my last period.  I started spotting a few days ago - very light spotting (brown).  Then it would get a bit more significant, then quiet down again.  There has been some red discharge mixed in with the brown but never enough to where I needed to wear a pad or anything.  

My anxiety is of course high right now.  I am not really having any other issues.  Some very light cramping but that is all.

Is this normal?  Does this mean I have to start the count to that 12 month mark all over again?

4 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

NewfieMom, it's a total misnomer that when women reach, or or close to, menopause that they completely stop producing estrogen.  There are some women who have gone an entire year without periods and will still run an estradiol level of 50 pg/ml.  

As I got closer to menopause, my periods were 2, 3, and then 6 months apart.  I had no idea when they would come or stop.  To me, all this is indicating is that your ovaries are still producing some minimal amount of estrogen, and therefore your lining is getting some stimulation.  At least enough to produce some minimal spotting.  

I'm not here to tell you not to get things checked out, but to help calm your anxiety.  

Do you need to start counting again,  probably.  But I'm pretty sure it will be a cake walk.  

• Posted

I know a few women who still get hot flashes in their 80s! Like WTH? Also, a friend of mine stopped taking HRT when she turned 60 and automatically started getting hot flashes again. 
  • Posted

Thanks Ladies.  I have been keeping a detailed calendar of all symptoms that I feel from twinges to sore breasts, to being emotional to crabby.  When I went back and looked at it for more than a year it was all showing a very normal cycle even though I haven't had a period for 10 1/2 months.  Two weeks ago I was more emotional than usual and had some slight heaviness/pain in my breasts.  So I know I still have *something* going on with my hormones.  Oh and I had a few hot flashes again after not having them for a while.  I am feeling much calmer about it all today.  I am going to take the 12 day advice.

• Posted

You'll be OK NewfieMom. I never heard that 12 day thing before, but I'm going to take that forward with me as well. 

XO

• Posted

Hey Ladies,

I just wanted to check in and let everyone know the spotting has completely stopped.  It lasted as long as a normal menstrual period would.  I am back to "normal".  Thanks for all of the advice and support.  It is really appreciated.

• Posted

hi new on here. I'm in the menopause my last period was last July but on the 9th of April started to bleed and it's like a normal period but I'm now have cramps. do I need to worry like I said I'm in the menopause and it was confirmed by a blood test two years ago

• Posted

I just googled my situation, and your post popped up. I havent had a period in 101/2 months, until today. Ive got some bright red scant bleeding, not enough to wear a pad, the breast tenderness started about two days ago, lower cramping on stomach area, and back. An occasional bought of nausea.

I am concerned about the very low chance of this being a miscarriage. ( wondering if i may had been having an irregular cycle ovulation 6-8 weeks ago and gotten pregnant) and obviously not expecting a period bc i havent had one...

I am 46yrs young and diabetic 2 ( 14 yrs of that)

I'm soo grateful that I'm able to find out that there is a forum for this topic.

• Posted

in 49 and just gone 9 months without a period and now bleeding second time this has happened cant get past the 9 months !

so fed up!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.