10 and a half months post op.

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are all doing well and making progress.

Having reached 10 & 1/2 months post-op for A&P repairs I had hoped to be almost back to what I would consider normal; that is able to run my household without help and back doing most low impact exercise, and able to cope with some overtime at work.

Sadly every time I think I'm making headway I end up back at square one; square one being just about coping with my 2 x 5 hour shifts, still only coping with short walks with lots of stops and resting and still not able to do too many household chores in one day.

As some of you know had novo-virus last week and we worried had weaken pelvic floor but as I recovered all seemed to be well and no damage done.

Done my Sunday shift - couple of hours on my feet and rest of shift on seat at checkout - all went well.

Went to work today and most of shift spent on chair unsuitable for job, had no wheels to all in movement, can't get chair close enough to allow support when packing. If you position it close enough then theirs no room to squeeze onto seat, and if to far away you can't get your number to the back of the seat and be near enough to work the till. So you end up overstretching without support.

Anyway back at square one shifting weight without support and back arched resulting in pelvic floor being really painful, sharp achy pains inside vaginally area, and perineum area burning.

Home now with feet up but feel that every time I get set backs like this and have to rest up is like days of my life being stolen from me!

Getting fed up with my long term health being put at risk and for what other than lining someonelse's pocket; why can't a large multimillion pound company supply decent supporting seats for their employees?

Stood for most of my last hour at work even though i had managed to get a good seat by then as i was too sore to sit. Couldn't sit on my bum at all when I got home had to go horizontal. Haven't been like thus bad since early days post-op.

Wishing I hadn't went back to this job now; maybe my expectations have been to high? I suppose after two separate repair ops my pelvic floor is bound to be weaker than after first op and maybe I should have allowed longer recovery for posterior op before returning.

I know I should be positive and be saying to myself that things could be much worse, at least my repairs are holding up and oddly enough my pelvic floor exercises still feel strong. I would have been in a very sorry state right now if it wasn't for the wonderful surgery done by my surgeon all thanks to our wonderful NHS. Without surgery my prolapse would have been protruding outside by now and very painful limiting me in lots of ways and probably would have been unable to work at all and would have been almost house bound.

Anyhow back to the quandary as to what else I can do !!!

Feeling lost,

Phyl x

2 likes, 99 replies

99 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Sorry to hear about your struggle. I have a question. Did you also get a hesterectomy also or just the two prolapsed.
    • Posted

Hi buster,

Thank you for your kind words, I just had the two prolapses this time, but had a hysterectomy and front repair 4 years ago so this is the second time for front repair.

Phyl ☺

• Posted

Hi Phyl, so sorry to hear that you are struggling. I know that this may sound daft but is it possible ( and no you shouldn't have to) but could you purchase a suitable chair yourself that would give you relief ?. At least then it would be yours and you maybe able to reduce that part of the discomfort and frustration. Just an idea

• Posted

Hi cookienz,

Thank you for your reply .

That is something that we all joke about - bringing in our own chair - .

Don't think they would allow it, one of the problems would be where would we store all the chairs?

Out of the 6 chairs, 2 have been taken away as broken, and out of the 4 left one is an office chair usually used at the wheelchair checkout as the conveyor belt at checkout is lower there, one has no wheels and therefore unsuitable leaving only two chairs that are any good and you have to be in and starting at 10 am when proper checkouts open to get one.

There has been talk of new ones, but that has went on for months. One of the young boys from the floor had been called down to help when tills were busy when I was on my break. I noticed on way back when it had went quiet that he was bouncing on the chair so no wonder they get broken.

Anyway would have thought that by now I should be able to stand for longer periods, when I first started back I was managing up to 3-4 hours at the start, but sadly can only take up to 2 at a push.

So frustrating! Have been working on my posture ever since they ( that is the consultant) dismissed me at rereferral sending me back to GP saying it's backpain and nothing to do with repairs. Also concentrating on being aware of keeping my back straight with shoulders back and chin up. That is making no difference to lower pelvic problems but it is taking pressure off my stomach which I never made a connection with before. At end of night tend to flop on the sofa and grumble about pressure from overloaded tummy so been sitting on hard chair for a while to allow dinner to process first, while keeping chin up.

Thank you anyway for suggestion, ?

Phyl x

• Posted

Sorry to hear that Phyl, Good luck with it all, sorry to hear its difficult for you. Its such a shame that we cant have our ops and thats the end of it all, but at least we have each other to talk to. This forum has made a huge difference to me, I have so much more understanding of what I went thru, what was normal and what to be especially careful with ie weights and rest.  take care xxx Kath
    • Posted

Thank you Kath,

You are right the forum does make a huge difference to us all. It has made me much more careful this time round and a reminder to keep PF exercises.

Take care,

Phyl x

• Posted

Meant 'keep up' with PF exresides.

• Posted

Im going to be a lot more mindful about doing them ie pelvic floor excerises, I had a heart attack which was totally unexpected about four hours after my op so ended up in the heart unit for 7 days. Because of that I never saw the hospital physio so it wasnt until a couple of weeks later and after discovering this forum that I realised I had been missed.  
    • Posted

Sorry to hear you have that additional problem. Life never seems to get any easier.

So difficult to keep fit and health being restricted with prolapse issues.

Hope you managed to finally catch up with physio.

Lots of hugs phyl x

• Posted

I never did see that physio or any after my op, they posted out info.

For me the problem was op stopped being the priority during my hospital stay so this forum has been a saviour for me once all the other settled down ie 3 stents

• Posted

You know I was offered that but not really got a back pain as such, sometimes my neck gets that 'spondylitis ' (excuse spelling) but usually some muscle rub with pain killers for a day or two gets rid of that.

I notice this morning the dull ach seems to be concentrated in back vaginal wall and heavy feeling is in bowel which I know is well empty, 'a bit more worrying' , hope it's not the posterior wall starting to sag further up.

Anyway mighg just be discomfort left over from yesterday going for a walk to see how things go, sun trying to break through and at least it's dry!

Phyl x

• Posted

Cookienz, that's a lot of stents, hope all is going well with them.

Phyl x💖

• Posted

All you can do is your pre and rest when yuou can.all this makes !e feel an old woman.I'm only 49 lolxx

• Posted

Pelvic floor exercises. Damm predicted text
    • Posted

Hi Phyl, big time difference between our countries,right now its New Zealand time 6.03pm 18/1 ie Wednesday evening. At first I had no problem with the stents but over the last few days started to have stabbing feelings. I think its probably that Im over doing things at work, I work for a charity family store and we have been hammered with donations. I cant get over the tiredness Im feeling and get really sore down where I had my repairs. Anyway sorry to moan all in all Im doing fine. Hope you are feeling better soon xxx Kath
    • Posted

Hi cooking,

Hope it's not too late in evening to text, sounds like you maybe are overdoing things.

I did some volunteers work with Marie curie, initially in office then one of their shops and I know it can be heavy work. Like you say it can be exhausting.

I worry all the time about repair failing as I feel that I was much better at 3 months post op than I am now, I know it's silly as repairs themselves feel fine and keep telling myself if it's just the scar tissue playing-up then there's nothing ti worry about. Just hoping it settles down sooner rather than later as I don't relish having long term problems with thus.

It must be difficult having the added problem of worrying about your stents; my hubby's step dad has stents in and he has been battling with his weight on and off over past few years, but he is retired now and keeps himself busy, he has a large circle of friends as he is very sociable and also keeps very busy within his local church and community. We worry about him all the time but I'm sure the sent have made a big difference to him and he is able to get on with enjoying his life.

Hope you had your feet up this evening and please take care at work no lifting anything that looks too heavy. Hooe you are able to take lots of breaks if you need too.

It's almost 11am here Wednesday.

Take care,

Phyllis 💖x

• Posted

Hi Phyl, its so nice to message you, thank you for your kind words. Im feeling better today. My boss plonked me in her office for parts of  the last few days and had me doing investigations on her computer. ( ie researching some of the special items we have been donated) wow what a difference to my heart and body. Tonight Im tired but not sore and it makes me feel so much better. Thanks to you and some of the other girls Ive now started concentrating more on my pelvic floor excercises. Im very lucky to have a female boss whom also had some issues like us and is very mindful of my limitations. Its interesting how our bodies "speak' to us and give us a nudge if we overdo things. I'm pretty careful about lifting and have work mates that are very much on my case taking care of me smile Im very lucky. I hope you are feeling better xxx   

• Posted

Hi cookienz,

So glad your feeling better. That's really good that your boss has given you some work at the computer at least your are getting a break from being on your feet.

It does make a difference having support at work.

I am feeling much better, thank you. Coping much better on my feet for much longer periods, but still not able to sit for too long.

Nippy scar tissue is settling down again been on it for 2 months, dreading coming off my estriol after 3rd month. ( I use it for 3 months on, 1month off).

Not managed swimming this week, hubby's car being prepared for MOT; car going Monday so will have to bus it into work and maybe back too. It's such a long journey 2 hours in and 2 hours back on top of 5 hour shift; dreading it as it usually is too much.

Anyway will be good to find out if I can deal with the longer day.

Take care,

Phyl x

• Posted

Oh my gosh Phyl thats such a long journey, maybe you should consider moving to our beautiful country in New Zealand. Both my husband and I work for the Salvation Army here in Kapiti at the shop its about a 5 minute drive from home. I would hate to travel such a long distance. In saying that there are people whom travel from Otaki and Levin into Wellington our capital city which is about a hours car drive
    • Posted

Unfortunately I never learned to drive, could drive it in 20 mins. The bus doesn't go direct and I have to get 2 buses, the first bus takes me to the city centre and takes about half an hour, and then I get the 2nd bus which takes me to place of work that also takes about half an hour. Can also take time between connections always seem to just miss a connecting bus. Husband loves the village where we stay and won't move.

That's really handy for you being only 5 mins away. Even when I have had jobs closer to home it has always been difficult as we only have a bus once an hour in either direction so if you miss one its an hours wait and after 6 pm the little local bus stops and it's only the city centre bus that is available and that is not as often.

Phyl x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.