10 days after Botox & fissurectomy - ouch!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had Botox and a fissurectomy performed 10 days ago and I had completely underestimated how disruptive it was going to be. I'd thought maybe 1 week off work, then working from home the next week, but I'm nowhere near being ready for that yet. I can walk maybe 1/2 mile but then it's just too painful to continue. On the plus side whilst everything is very tender and sore, I'm not in the extreme levels of pain that I know some of you are suffering. Fortunately BMs are no longer causing sharp pain, but the overall tenderness and burning sensation is the biggest problem right now. This morning I've tried putting a thin layer of zinc oxide cream (Sudacrem in the UK) around by BH to see if that can calm down the redness/nappy rash that has taken hold. Not seeing the CRS for another 2 weeks so hoping things are better by then. It's frustrating that I'm currently in a far worse state than before the procedure, but if it fixes things long term then that's a price worth paying.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

botox alone doesn't usually cause any pain. the pain is coming from the fissurectomy as all your scar tissue and damaged skin has been cut off and the fissure is new again.

so stick to your diet, don't over do the exercise, keep things clean down there and try to be patient as these things take time to heal.

• Posted

Hi Martin, I had excision and botox 3 weeks ago and i am the same. No cutting or sharp glass pain or throb but heaviness ache and burning. I sit in sitz bath after BM and am on a strict diet and one laxative sachet each night too. First two weeks were really tough physically and defo feel slower than before with activities and cant do much to be honest. I have taken 3 weeks off work and back on the 16/12 and dreading it!

• Posted

Hi Zara. Thanks for replying and sharing your similar experience - it's good to know that we're not alone! Fortunately I've got the option of being able to work from home initially, but I need to get to a state where I think I could sit/stand whilst working at a computer for 8h. I'm not there yet. Good luck with starting work on the 16/12 - hopefully they can accomodate you and give you a bit of flexibility during the rest of your recovery. I described it to my work as "a minor op, but with major pain and recovery challenges".

• Posted

Thanks Martin, really does help sharing experiences, the GP's I find dont have enough knowledge and cant contact consultant to ask any questions so its difficult to know what is ok and what isnt. I also have a desk job but i will be asking for adjustments for sure with reduced hours and flexibility. Someone i know whos had a fissure and had same procedure said to me that for every hour you sit you must get up and walk for 15-20 minutes. Hang in there, by the end of week 3 i do feel a little better except the tenderness and burning after BM and i am really on it with the eating plan and sitz baths. Hopefully in the next week things improve for you too. Tc xx

• Posted

Hi Martin, how are you feeling now? The burning pain for hours for me is getting worse and i can feel spasm pain coming from left side of anus post BM which is lasting hours even with the softest BM. I am going back to see the consultant on tuesday morning and really feeling down and tearful as i cant seem to see an end in sight.

• Posted

Hi Zara. Sorry you're having such a rough time of it. Aside from the pain it really can mess with your head. I'd say that I'm marginally better than where I was 7 days ago, but overall slightly worse than before I had the procedure done. I'm just hoping that the fissurectomy and Botox has set me up for longer term healing, which is just taking a while to kick in. I've started WFH again as of today though it is uncomfortable. Definitely keep taking Paracetamol and any other PKs that don't bung you up. Being in pain always makes things feel worse emotionally, so don't be hung up on any principled desire to avoid PKs. Did you go back to work today?

• Posted

Hi Martin, I went back to work today. I had an OHS referral last week and they told my employer that I was unfit to return to work and to not anticipate it any time in the near future. I said I still wanted to try with adjustments in place to help. They are paying for a taxi to take me to work and home and I will do a back desk role for 4 hours a day. I am usually full time. I survived on my hot water bottle but I do feel completely washed out, it was easier to do nothing at home! I am going to see the Consultant tomorrow to see what happens next, surely cannot just be left to it. I am going to ask him for a Colostomy bag so I never have to use my rear end again. Still can't walk much, its more like pottering around. Well done for attempting to work, I hope things improve for you. My burning pain lasts 7 hours and I can feel some spasm pain immediately after BM that subsides after. I am still taking Ibuprofen but my attachment to the hot water bottle is becoming obsessive! Will let you know what happens at the hospital tomorrow. Tc x

• Posted

how are you both doing now?

• Posted

Hey Jenny hope you're doing ok. I went to see the colorectal consultant on 17/12 and upon examination he saw that the fissure hadn't healed at all but said that the resting pressure had worked on muscles from the Botox. He confirmed that I have a large tag from the fissure and a Heamatoma which he thinks will resolve once the fissure heals. He gave me some more Diltiazem cream and will see me in a few weeks time but refused to do a spinchterectomy as insists it will not help. I have had like 4-5 pain free days but the rest are still a painful battle and I am still having to be careful with fibre and fluid intake. On the days I neglect this the pain gets worse. Consultant wants to do Anoplasty as the next course of treatment when he see's me in Feb. He thinks that might work however I have read how painful it is supposed to be. X

• Posted

sorry zara see below ive somehow responded to martin and not yourself can you see my reply ?

• Posted

zara speak to another crs and get the LIS!! it has such a high success rate and it worked for my chronic fissure. i had to beg for it because they kept refusing as i'm a woman. anoplasty only has a 50-60% chance success rate and it is such a long recovery process. i've only read bad things about it. it's your body, you should get to decide which surgery you should get.

• Posted

Hi Betty I am so glad to hear that you’re doing better. I tried to plead with my consultant for this and he said it won’t work for me as feels due some reason that my fissure won’t heal after having it. He checked me and said that the Botox has definitely worked as could feel that the resting pressure on the muscles was relaxed but was a little surprised that the fissure itself had no improvement at all. I have also felt loss of bowel control and have to run to the loo when I need to go. I’m so fed up I don’t think they realise the impact it has on our day to day living and doing basic things like being able to get out in the morning and driving to work without worrying for BM and then the pain after. My employers are now being awkward about letting me come in later, I thought going in than being off sick would be better and how mistaken was I. I am going to have to go sick and get dismissal due to ill health grounds. 16 months ago I did not see this coming in my life and the impact it’s taking. Are you based in the USA? I’m in England and from what I’ve read they don’t offer the LIS often.

• Posted

zara im in the uk i have appointment next week im hoping for date for LIS

ill let you know if they do it for me x

• Posted

thats fab Jenny hope it all goes ok and please let me know. I am going to see my consultant on the 31st so will keep you posted xx

• Posted

zara, i'm from the UK and they pushed botox twice on me and kept refusing me LIS. i begged and they eventually gave me LIS. however the first surgeon i had gave me such a conservative cut that it ended up failing.

so again, i begged, for another proper LIS.

had a different CRS and he did it correctly, and it worked and healed the fissure.

bowel incontinence after botox is only temporary as the injections only last 2-3 months.

the problem with LIS is that bowel incontinence can be permanent but personally i had no incontinence issues after both surgeries. and i've read stories from other women who had no permanent problems afterwards.

• Posted

Hi Jenny how did your appointment go? After my Botox on 15/11 I was given Diltiazem on 17/12 which some days helps and other days I’m in pain, I just can’t seem to tell what’s right and wrong or how everything is working or not. Keeping BM soft and taking care of things there with doing sitz soaks too.

Met with the CRS today and he said that the fissure is still so deep he can see down to the muscle surface. He said that the resting anal pressure isn’t tight and is baffled as to why it’s not healing at all. Normally he says it’s when the resting pressure is tight that a fissure won’t heal but he checked mine when doing the Botox and said that wasn’t the problem. He said it’s a cause for concern now and has made me sign consent forms for surgery again. He’s marked it as urgent but don’t know when appointment will come with NHS back log and Cancer referrals. He wants to do a deeper examination under general anaesthetic using some stuff to see what is going and will on the day, perform either the LIS or Anoplasty with whatever he sees as the best option. I spent the whole day crying, I’m tired my body is tired and I’ve been trying to soldier on despite it all and am coming up to a Big Bang. Mentally it’s affecting me so much I want to shut the whole world away and just keep to myself. I despair and just can’t see the light at the end at all. Hope things are moving forward for everyone else. You’re all in my prayers. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.