10 weeks after anterior THR

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am 10 weeks out from my anterior THR and I feel like a new woman.  I have my life back.  I am biking and swimming without pain.  The doc will probably clear me to tango in two months.  I am working 12 hour shifts as a staff nurse with only mild soreness and aching, no sharp pains.  I am so happy - it is so amazing to have that pain gone and go back to my very active lifestyle!!!

5 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Wow that’s amazing you have healed so quickly. I had the anterior hip surgery 4 weeks ago now.  I can walk on it but I’m having trouble with my knee. I also have parts of my leg that are still numb and my quad isn’t working so I can’t lift my leg straight out when sitting or lift it on to the couch or into bed.  I was very active before the surgery.  Just wondering if anyone else had trouble getting there look to work.  Oh I’m 56. Thank you 
    • Posted

I had some difficulty with my knee, too, in addition to the thigh numbness. Icing periodically helped. My doctor just recommended walking for a period of time (15 minutes) throughout the day. Not overdoing it. Was hard for me to accept that I couldn't just walk as usual. Hip pain gone but adjustments to deal with during the recovery.

If you're having trouble lifting your leg, consider getting a leg lifter. It's a simple device that you can buy in many places. Long handle, loops around your foot, and then you can lift your leg. You also use a belt to create one. Makes it easier. I used the leg lifter for awhile during my recovery. You can do an online search for leg lifter to see what it looks like.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  Yes I was told by a few people to try those tools. I ended up tring my mom’s cane to lift my leg. Using the handle part on my foot. It works great. I just need to stay positive that my leg will once again work normal. 
    • Posted

HI Robin,

I've had both done these past 12 months.  4 weeks is early.  That's an ambitious time-frame.  By week 6 you will be riding a mechanical bull between Tango competitions.  It's amazing.  One day soon you'll be fine.  Don't forget those exercises three times a day!  Work on those clam movements, the windshield wiper/snow angel and abductor moves.  Major learning for me, don't be so competitive with yourself that you do 3 sets of 50 if you're told to do 3 sets of 20!    I put myself out of business for one whole week being an alpha female.  I was 56 when these two procedures were done. 

• Posted

Thank for your reply. It’s nice to have support.  It’s just wierd with my knee. It seems swollen but to look it it is not. It’s very tight. It is my main issue at the moment.  I can’t bend. Is it just displacement of the pain from my hip?  
  • Posted

Hi Tango.. Im glad you are doing well and i can understand you can get sore especislly as you are probably on your feet for many hours. I'm like you, very happy with the outcome and walk and cycle for miles. I do still get a little soreness at the start of walking but it goes away after a minute of walking.

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.