10 weeks post ankle break and still swelling

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi,

I'm starting to become concerned about swelling of my foot ankle 10 weeks post break and surgery.

I obtained a Weber C fracture of my left ankle and snapped my fibula in half resulting in a ORIF leaving me with a plate and about 6 screws in my fib and pin across my ankle itself to hold in place..and have some nerve damage it the front of my foot and fib. I'm waiting for my surgery to get the pin taken out as there is a risk of the pin breaking and causing more damage. I'm waiting an extra 8 weeks as ended up with DVT in my calf (12cm clot).. my surgeon has advised no weight bear however physio have stated I can.. im currently walking without aids at home but out I'm using my moonboot and walking stick for safety..

I do find the more I do the more pain I'll get at night! However I'm still in pain if someone knocks my ankle or fib... or if my calf is moved, say by rolling or dragging in bed.. is this normal? And should I be still getting so swollen?? The swelling is more than post surgery and break at times!

Also has anyone ever had a pin removed? What was the recovery like?? Were you weight bearing day 1 post surgery?

Sorry for the lengthy post I just discover this forum and have had some many questions running through my head for awhile!

Thanks

Michelle

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My story is long. It has been nearly nine months. Make some gel packs with Ziplock bags, with rubbing alcohol and water. Freeze them. double bag them. Get some towels ontop of your pillows in case they break!

You will be doing just fine! This is the best and only group I would trust👍

Monica

• Posted

Ankle fx is not a quick recovery. I am 9 months post ORIF. I still have numbness over my foot and around my ankle. I just accept I had some nerve damage. I still have limited movement, some of which I attribute to poor PT. When I broke my other ankle about 20 years ago, I had excellent PT. The therapist actually touched me. Massage is real important. I recently completed another 12 visits at another clinic and had 2 episodes of massage. One resulted in a small pop. Therapist said foot has so many little bones and they need to get back in place. The other was scar tissue massage to break it up. Her thinking is that some persistent swelling on the outside under my ankle is because of some scar tissue. Simply blocking fluid moving up out of foot. Swelling overall continues for awhile regretfully. Just elevate ice and exercise. Recovery comes in small victories. Best wishes!
    • Posted

Thank you👍I'm discouraged some days. Other days I over do it and suffer the consequences. Yes, small victories 👑

• Posted

Sadly emotional roller coaster rides are pretty common too. There's the woo-hoo! A small victory. Then no progress for what seems like 4-ev-er. Then woo hoo! Another small victory. There are those days you crave normal and it just isn't there. This is not just a physical process, but emotional. I don't know if u have read posting by those convinced the ankle was going to re-break just by putting weight on it that first time. (Hello! Me too.) I knew I was making progress in spite of the altered gait, pain and swelling when I would walk without my cane. Before, I would obsess about where my equipment was. Not long ago, I was out of the house without my cane before I realized it. That was a big victory! Hang in there dear heart...

• Posted

This site is so encouraging! You get to hear wonderful stories. It is a lifeline. Everyone is polite, respectful and supportive.

Yes, it is a roller coaster ride!!! Yesterday I was so happy, waddling around the house almost pain free👍 Today I'm in agony and trying to concentrate on smaller issues, to keep my mind occupied. I don't want to concentrate on the pain.

Have to resolve other issues with my teenager... 🙏

• Posted

You may want to see if there's a link on this site for dealing with teenagers! LOL

• Posted

Yes! One day good and then... Horrible pain.

Nobody has given me a clear answer.

Trying to do what I can day by day.

I will do what is in my soul,🙏

Monica

• Posted

My teenager, I would send her to a foreign country where there is no internet🙏 Something like that💝 Where she could walk 4km to school and study.

God Bless💝

Recovery for us is around the corner 👍

• Posted

My wife had 2nd surgery in right ankle and Plate and pins were removed.They asked to walk my wife after one hour surgery finished.Recovery period was 2-3wks.But still my wife not walking normal.(Range of movement in the ankle still not enough)
  • Posted

Thank you all so much for your support and kind words!! Yes I'm having a rest day today to try combat some swelling! But keeping up some exercises aswell!! I wasn't sure if it was normal or not... the recovery is taken a lot longer than I originally expected but then again I have never broken anything to this extent before!!

• Posted

Thank you all so much for your support and kind words!! Yes I'm having a rest day today to try combat some swelling! But keeping up some exercises aswell!! I wasn't sure if it was normal or not... the recovery is taken a lot longer than I originally expected but then again I have never broken anything to this extent before!!

• Posted

Michelle, yes take a rest day,🐧 It will help more than you know😇 Be kind to yourself, take it easy and with great care👍 I know that it is a tough road but we are all healing👍

• Posted

Hey Michelle,

I fractured my fibula above the ankle joint and I also fractured my medial mallaeous resulting in a Weber B fracture also called a bimallaeour fracture. I did that on January 17, 2017. Waited 2 weeks to see an ortho in which I was told surgery which was on February 1st. I was in a hard cast for 2 weeks then removed along with the 14 staples. I ended up with a plate, 5 screws through the side and one through the top/front of the plate. I started rehab 2 weeks ago and it is painful. Experiencing alot of pain and stiffness at the front/top of my foot where it meets the leg itself. If anybody pushes on the left side of my right foot it is tender and painful. My ortho and PT say not to worry about it. I cannot run, I have quite the noticeable limp. They say to Concentrate on walking normal and I am finding it painful and difficult. My gut is telling me that there is more wrong, despite me asking if it's normal they say yes and not to worry about it. I can go upstairs fine but coming down stairs I have to side step it. I'm an active person, 3 kids and run a daycare and I feel like most days I cannot keep up with my kids. A trip to Walmart is tiring physically and mentally. I see my ortho this week and I am extremely tempted to ask for a more in depth scan of my ankle structure. So far he has only done 4 x-rays in my seperate visits. I'm having alot of swelling at the ankle itself, I have to take 4 ibrpofuen 2 times a day. Having kids taking a percocet is just not feasible unless I can sleep. I hope you are having more luck then me, this last week I am feeling extremely defeated.

Happy Easter!

Tiffany

• Posted

Hi Tiffany

My wife had a same problem.Swelling will go away but pain will be certain period depend on how far we walking and how long hour doing work.More work(Standing,too far walking) will create more pain.I knew that it is painfull life.

How is the Ankle of Movement?My wife have inadequate ankle of movement problem.Then she had 2nd surgery.During the surgery they removed plate and pins(but not all the pins,because couple of them buried they couldn't).

After the 2nd surgery pain and swelling were little bit improved but not expected.

Your case that try100% with PT and more exercise.Hope you will be come normal.If any issue Ortho will do CT scan.Hope will be OK

Jeya

• Posted

Hi Tiffany,

A year on how is your ankle? I am in a very similar situation right now to your above post suffering a Webber B fracture and had an ORIF 10 weeks ago. I am struggling with swelling and coming down the stairs. Hoping for some positive news from you a year on and any tips the boosted your recovery would be appreciated. Thank you. Katrina 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.