10 weeks post ankle break and still swelling

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi,

I'm starting to become concerned about swelling of my foot ankle 10 weeks post break and surgery.

I obtained a Weber C fracture of my left ankle and snapped my fibula in half resulting in a ORIF leaving me with a plate and about 6 screws in my fib and pin across my ankle itself to hold in place..and have some nerve damage it the front of my foot and fib. I'm waiting for my surgery to get the pin taken out as there is a risk of the pin breaking and causing more damage. I'm waiting an extra 8 weeks as ended up with DVT in my calf (12cm clot).. my surgeon has advised no weight bear however physio have stated I can.. im currently walking without aids at home but out I'm using my moonboot and walking stick for safety..

I do find the more I do the more pain I'll get at night! However I'm still in pain if someone knocks my ankle or fib... or if my calf is moved, say by rolling or dragging in bed.. is this normal? And should I be still getting so swollen?? The swelling is more than post surgery and break at times!

Also has anyone ever had a pin removed? What was the recovery like?? Were you weight bearing day 1 post surgery?

Sorry for the lengthy post I just discover this forum and have had some many questions running through my head for awhile!

Thanks

Michelle

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Michelle,

I know the feeling. I'm slightly more than 8 weeks post surgery and the swelling is the most bothersome thing. After 2 months you'd think the swelling would be under control. I dislocated and broke the ankle, tibia and fibula. Tib/fib were compound so I had surgery within a few hours of the accident. Ended up with a plate and 15 screws. I'm supposed to be non weight bearing for 10 - 12 weeks but started applying some weight around week 7 and I can apply full weight without pain while wearing a boot now in week 8. I have some numbness around my ankle but no real pain - just tightness and discomfort.

• Posted

I’m currently 10 weeks post fracture and 9 since surgery I’m experiencing everything u did in this post, did u get ur pins out? And how’s your ankle now 
  • Posted

I’m 12 almost 13 weeks postop and total weight bearing in shoes for almost 2 weeks. The swelling is a LOT at night after being on my feet all day. Leg and foot go down to normal by morning. The swelling is normal and will last for months, I’m told. Try and ice every night and gentle massage from toes to calf will help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.