10 Weeks post HoLEPmat NHS Newcastle UK

Posted , 11 users are following.

This will probably be my last post here, for a while, after a very successful operation. I've posted before at 2, 4 and 8 weeks about my progress and thought I would finish off my last report now that I am relieved of all my pre op symptons. I did say at the 4 to 8 weeks I had urgency which meant I had only about 10 secs to get to a loo and I was caught out a few times which having  had a ruptured achilles at about 5 weeks didnt help my speed at getting to a toilet. I've read about the urgency so although a bit peturbing I knew it was tempory so soldiered on and during the last two weeks it has completely gone. I can sit here watching tv with an urge and delay it for another 15 minutes, no problem.

With this op,,  I had no pain at any point, no clots but a bit pink for 10 days, no pills anymore, can pee 300 mlitres in 10 seconds compared to 100 mlitre in a min before.

No retention at night  and so can sleep through til 7am. Much to my amazement I am ejeculating, not much as I suppose 70% of the prostate is missing now, BUT, the orgasm I'm having is like the real thing which I've not had for some 13 years because of the pills drying me up.

I knew I had a big chance of BE so guess I am lucky and more importantly had a good consultant with modern kit.

Not having to get up all night is the thing I like most about this op and not having to take the two pills is good too. I have been reading that Dutasteride may be causing non alcoholic fatty liver. having said that the pills buy one time whilst deciding what to do , but I wished I had had this op sooner.

In the scheme of things it's ealry doors but am as confident as one can be that the results will be long lasting.

2 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Good to hear you are doing well. Thanks for the update. Hank
  • Posted

Breeze61

What procedure did you have ?

I had a prostate artery Embolization  6 months ago and it seems to have worked.300ml in 10 seconds unlikely .Ile di a year but suspect it will be about 2 minutes 

• Posted

Good for you my friend.  Your doctor was very good he most likely a voided the ejaculatory duct and the canal With the size of the prostate left you will not be making a lot of fluid.   There is a Dr. Muir in the UK that wrote a book on no matter what procedure you have you do not have to end up with retro. He said ever a Turp procedure  if your doctor watches what he cut away at you don't have to end up that way.  It is really how good and caring the doctor is.  Thank you for the up date and I hope you get even better  Ken  

• Posted

Gordon Muir is one of the top two Uro's here and they were the first to do GL PVP. Muir at least still has that as his preferred procedure after 14 years. You can find him on YouTube doing procedures. One newspaper has been doing features on the best surgeons for  various procedures and he was on the prostate list.

• Posted

Yes I do know that.  He e-mail me when I e-mail him.  Sent one yesterday.  May hear from him Monday.  Very nice guy  Ken   PS  He sent me the paper him and his friends wrote about ejaculation and any procedure you don't have to have it..  I have it printed up at home but for some reason I deleted it when I sent it to one of the guy's  Take care  Ken 

• Posted

Hi Ken and all other posters, 

Thanks for all your replies and well wishes and good luck to all.

I think doctors do have some choice on whether you lose your seminal fluids pipe work  depending on individual situations. Its wriiten that with HoLEP some 75% will lose get BE and I was accepting of this and would have still been over the moon with the outcome.

Phil good luck with your holep and i'm not sure if cipro affected my  achille tendon but I believe it would have snapped anyway. It was the rush of adrelinine when I saw my car free wheeling backwards,,, I forgot the handbrake. I tried to sprint off to stop it and it went. Needless to say the car, which was on a levelish road, came to a harmless stop by itself, A tip for all older men is not to push cars as that is one of the main causes of snapped achilles.

Geezer . I had light dribbling for about 2 weeks then ok, David in Uk is 7 weeks and is dribbling too but doesn't mention any of the of urgency that I had.

David Thanks, glad I helped you but that's why we all post on here. I'm sure the pelvic floor exercise helped me with urgency because if youve only got 10 secs to get to a urinal then you work those muscles like hell. Eventually your body repairing stops the urgency but the strong pelvic floor helps control the  urgency  sympton.

Derek... Hi, Keep up the good work.

Kenneth,  Thanks for all your many helpful posts but I think you are coming across as too negative in regards HoLep at least. A lot of the newer techniques have not stood the test off time and I wonder if many will fall by the roadside. HoleP is an op that is proven to give good results without pain and too much blood and no clots. For older people, at least, it is a god send. Yes, I admire that consultants are trying to conquer the scurge of BPH but older people need something that is going to work for a long time because as you well know, after several years of having bad BPH you are begging for relief, and a relief that will be long lasting, and that at the moment is Holep or the other previous lazer techniques.

• Posted

breeze, thank you for the nice words. I appreciate you and everyone on this forum.  You guys are a source of information, support and comfort.

Wednesday is approaching and as soon as I am able,  it’s my turn to give back to the Holep group and provide my experiences. 

• Posted

Sounds like the recovery with no pain was a breeze 👍

Regarding the ruptured Achilles, were you taking an antibiotic such as Cipro or Levaquin? 

I will be under the holmium laser Wednesday and glad to read how well you’re doing. 

Best Always!

• Posted

Phil  I thought you were going to talk with the doctor about the procedure.  Not have the surgery.  You just cancel the TURP for Monday and you all ready have the laser procedure scheduled .  When did you set it up  I hope your ready for the out come.  Good luck  Ken. 
    • Posted

I never canceled the Holep surgery date. 

So Wednesday Or Thursday I’ll report back to the forum. 🤞🏻

• Posted

Phil are you a Cipro/quinolone victim as I am. Germany (and Canada ) want to ban them for all but life threatening conditions and the EMA (European medicines Agency) are investigating and  held a public hearing a couple of weeks ago in London. The chair person seemed very much on the side of the victims. The full video is available on YouTube. I tried to post a link to it in another Forum but it was not allowed   
    • Posted

I just hope it goes well for you and you know what your getting into.  .  This is not a fix all. Like you told me you wanted.   You still may need something in 4 or 5 years.  Lets hope not.  God bless ken
    • Posted

Why do you always post a negative reply after someone has made a decision? Phil has been examined by and consulted with multiple doctors. As far as I know, you don't know Phil and have no formal medical training (reading articles on the internet doesn't count.). Your constant second guessing is neither helpful nor appropriate. The only proper response to someone's decision is "good luck." To suggest they don't know what they're getting into is just insulting.

• Posted

Lee that is true. I do not know Phil or anyone on this site.  I have been trying to help Phil for week on the PM site with his problem.  He asked my opinion which I am happy to help.  If I have to be the voice of reason. So be it.  First he did not want the surgery that the doctor in Miami was doing Holep which he is going to have now because the doctor was not board certified. He also was schedule for a Button Turp by another doctor which was for today.  He was very unsure of what procedure he was going to have.  Having to pick a procedure is very stressful but you need to know all the in and out.  I do wish him luck. But he was undermining himself.  Also he thinks any procedure he has is a fix all.  Which we know that does not happy all the time.  We have had men on here that had to have many surgery over the years. They thought there procedure was going to be the only one they need.  When I talk to him he said that he was going to talk with the doctor on Wednesday.  I did not know that he still had the surgery scheduled. The doctor that he is going to have the Holep procedure done is very well know in India.  He has gotten many award.  He was able to talk with a patient of the doctor that had the Holep procedure done. Which I agree with.  You should try to talk with patients of the doctor.  I hope and pray that this procedure does what he wants for him.  He is only 61 and has a full life ahead of him.  He is also aware of what he want from the surgery and what he expects from the surgery. This is only my opinion and I have stood by many men on here that have had many procedure that I am not a fan of.  If I can give them enough information to make up there mine. I hope I have.  I will because in the long run the man is the only one to pick whatever procedure he gets.  I will be praying for him and the doctor on Wednesday that God will guide his hands and all comes out right.  Ken        
    • Posted

Ken- You're always there to try to help. You've been on this forum for quite a while [compared to many.] Good onya mate.

Cheers- J

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.