10 weeks post LTKR still swollen, hot and stiff - have Synovitis

Posted , 8 users are following.

My recovery started off ok but by 6 weeks it all went wrong. PHYSIO diagnosed SYNOVITIS - inflammation of the synovial fluid around the capsule of the joint. Back on crutches and rest. I am so over this recovery roller coaster - thought I would be walking and back at work now. Feeling very down.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That's miserable and so frustrating when things were going well. It's natural to feel discouraged and low in yourself. Try to think of some way of treating yourself, maybe have a manicure or get someone to take you out somewhere nice for a coffee, lunch or afternoon tea, or anything that you particularly enjoy doing. Is there anything that you've ever wanted to do, but not had the time before? Learning a new craft or hobby, anything to take your mind off your current situation. It will pass. I know that doesn't help at present, but you'll get there in the end. Take care and be kind to yourself.

• Posted

THANK YOU LYNDA for your kind words - I will go and see a movie this week

• Posted

Hello, just read your very kind and thoughtful reply. I am recovering from a total knee replacement and your words are very encouraging. Best wishes Suzanne

• Posted

Hi Suzanne

I'm just over 3 weeks from my TKR. I'm glad you found my words encouraging. It isn't always easy by any means and we all have good and bad days even if our recovery is relatively straightforward. For me, I find it helps to keep a recovery diary and note each time I can do something for the first time, or suddenly realise something has become easier to do, so if I feel a bit fed up, I can look back and focus on the positives rather than sitting and moaning about what I can't do. That's not to say that I don't whinge from time to time!

I wish you a smooth and successful recovery. Best wishes, Lynda

• Posted

Good morning, Frances. so sorry to hear about your set back. How long for the crutches?

This recovery is apparently a lot more difficult than expected for some from what I have read on this forum.

I am at 9 weeks....still stiff to the point where I am not walking normally...some swelling continues and pain that wakes me at night. I continue with PT 3 times a week, but thought I would be back to most normal activities by now. Not so.

what is the prognosis for your condition at this point?

I agree with Linda...try to find something pleasant to keep your mind occupied during some of the day. Reading has somewhat saved me and treating the person who drove me to PT during the early weeks to lunch. it was a thank you to them....but allowed me to be out of the house as well.

Best of luck

• Posted

Thankyou Kathy - I had a good friend over tonight and had a lively evening so feeling better.

• Posted

yeah!!! So glad for u!! sometimes a little social life can lift our spirits!!

• Posted

yes I have synovitis as well and not normal in a post TKR do you have a rheumatologist ? maybe you have RA as well?

• Posted

i also have swelling and warm to touch and i am 9 months post op of left knee. they took fluid but no infection and everything is in place. wish i would never have done this. i have multiple auto immune disease and RA and they figure this is as good as it will get. it is a foreign body and my body is fighting it, wish they would of told me before surgery! USE IT OR LOSE IT! so i will keep on going. good luck everyone.

• Posted

yup same here I had a revision and besides the cement not holding it showed I had synovitis and they removed the synovium but the surgeon said it will grow back so like you said my body thinks my joints are the invaders

• Posted

I sure you dont, my surgeon said there is not much he can do for synovitis but what did they tell you? They told me it was my RA

• Posted

Dear Frances, Sorry to hear you are not recovering too well can your surgeon help with Synovitis, sorry not heard of this i am 10 weeks post op and still have pain, have been told it is a long recovery but have to listen to your body. Hope you improve, try to stay positive will help with the down feeling. I have taken up making bead bracelets, takes my mind off things and yes try and treat yourself

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.