10 weeks post TKR. Elastic band has gone!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Just thought I would share that the excruciatingly tight elastic band that has been with me, wrapped round my knee,from day 1 has gone!

It just occured really. No snaps or sensations. I just realised it had gone. Now it may be back tomorrow. But I don't care. I can feel my knee without that horrible tight feeling. It makes the light at the end of the tunnel just a good bit bigger.smile

Onwards and upwards!

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Wonderful!  I'm ten weeks too, so hope it soon happens to me!  do you still have any numb areas??  that's what is really beginning to get me down!
    • Posted

I have still got a little numb area on the right hand side but it is now very small  compared to what it was, I did find the massage helped that as well, but at least that tight band feeling has just about gone , only cones back a bit after going out, driving or shopping . 
    • Posted

I'm beginning to think mine may be permanent. . its from my foot right up to the thigh . both feet, so obviously must be more to do with the spinal injection than the operation rolleyes  Better than pain, anyway!
    • Posted

Oh surely it should not be like that? What did your consultant say? I know the nerves take time to heal , I know I felt some shooting pains and put it down to the nerves getting better, but only on my I operated  leg? I never felt any numbness on the other leg, aching but I think that was because I was compensating on that leg. One of the reasons for trying to walk without a stick because I think I was relying on it and not getting my confidence back. 
    • Posted

Now that you mention it, the usual numbness which was pretty much the entire right hand side of my knee has reduced. I was so busy with the non elastic band I have just noticed that the numbness is down. Still very much there but I now have a small sense of feeling. I hated that total lack of feeling. So double celebration.

Mind you, it has been painful today. 

I am sure you will have a result soon. It really just happened out the blue. I made a friend when I was in physio (in France we have over 2 weeks residential physio) and we used to play a game. Am I touching your knee or not?  One closed the eyes and the other prodded.  Well, there wasn't much happening after the excercises finished LOL.

So it is al least 30% better than then.

• Posted

must admit the numbness is not complete. . just like when ou have had an injection for a tooth, and it's beginning to get some feeling back!  anyway, it's not really a huge problem, and I have had weird things happen with the feeling in my legs way before the operation, so it may go away eventually!
    • Posted

He puts it down to the gtrauma of the operation . .Last time I saw him, I hadn't actually realisee that BOTH feet were partly numb, so I didn't mention that.  I have had numbness in the whole lower part of my body before, never diagnosed, so I probably have strange nerves!
  • Posted

It's amazing isn't it when all of a sudden you think, I can't feel anything around my knee! I went to the shops with my daughter this afternoon , I was walking up the road to her car and thought, I feel back to normal! Eight weeks for me and although now this evening  I feel my knee is a little tight and I had to open the door wide to get out of the car,   it is not as bad as it has been. I even walked the the park at the end of the road with my dog, without a stick! Hope you continue to feel better and better! Also everybody on this forum, especially those who have only just had their op, and wish they hadn't , it does get there. 
    • Posted

Wonderful news. Yes, there are moments where I feel like verything is absolutely normal. And then a friend notices I'm limping and I didn't even realize it. It does get better with the more time that goes by. And that helps me keep looking forward.
  • Posted

I look forward to that.   I was able to ride my real bicycle yesterday and that was a GREAT feeling.   I still have the band especially in the early morning hours..  Congrats!!!!  I'm 7 weeks and hopefully that will happen.... well... it will happen when it happens! 
  • Posted

That's such good news - have only realised reading your news my elastic band isn't so tight now also the numbness lot less thank heavens I almost didn't dare think about it or ask anyone if it WOULD actually go! Thinking I'd have to learn to live with it. Got signed off from physio yesterday felt really elated with 130° bend and 3° from being straight. He got me doing steps and stairs and said no crutches from now on. That felt great yesterday not today my knee is so sore and feels !like a

• Posted

HI Tess

This is what I love about this site. You don't feel as if it is just you it's happening to.

Well, the elastic band is back again today. less than before but definitely decided to return. And brought a little friend with it. A nasty ache right on the front of the knee. I would say bone but probably a metal part now. I am sure that this damned thing will fight me every step of the way. But it is getting better. Just so blinking slowly!

I have to say Tess 130 degrees my goodness, that is almost gymnast quality!  I got pushed and I mean really really pushed by the physio into 96 degrees. I dont thnk I can do 130o with the good one  LOL.

So it seems you have a great great plus there. Good for you

Lx

• Posted

Oops pressed wrong button - knee felt like lump of wood again today but guess this two steps forward and one step back is par for the course

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.