10 weeks still some concerns.

Posted , 16 users are following.

Its now 10 weeks since my surgery,total knee replacement. Im now driving, going to the gym for exercises in water, stationary cycling. I can walk with a stick,have walked half a mile with no undue effects.

BUT. I still get pain in my knee,not unbearable but I can feel it. Will the site still be sore? ALSO Every time I move my knee I can FEEL rather than HEAR a click. Do other people at the same stage feel/remember this clicking. According to some on the forums this is normal. Also stiffness in the mornings,though this goes off after 10/15 minutes once Im out of bed. Any comments appreciated.

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

My surgeon and Physio say that if u don't feel the click it's not in right!!! Lol

From what I can remember (2.5 years ago) it was tender for months! I always say "I know I have it' I'm concious it's in there. Also if I rest my knee to the side it's heavy.

I've never been able to do a full revolution on a bike😩Well done you. 1 st time I tried at Physio I fainted. Then I went down a huge step & fainted and then squatted way to low in a pool and when I got out agony and jet black( bled under the skin) All due to overextension ! That was all in the first few months . After that I never dared try which has come back to bite me I think........ I've had a hip replacement now😱 13 weeks ago ( all good) and one week in did hamstring, tendons, it band, quads, bursa in on my other leg TKR leg. I'm sure it's because I never strengthened it enough and subcontiously favoured my other leg & now compensating for the hip side all this has happened. I've been housebound unable to walk for 12 weeks. Just slowly recovering!

So long winded advice, push it but not too far, take care and strengthen your muscles. Xxxx

• Posted

Thanks Gaby. Sorry to hear about your troubles but hope its uphill from now on. Yes I think tender,the word you used is correct. I really dont care about feeling the clicking. If thats going on the rest of my life and everything else is ok Id be happy. But its extremely brave of you to think of somebody else when youve had it so rough. God bless.
  • Posted

My knee is always clicking every time I move, it's getting onn my nerves too !i am also 10 weeks TKR, finding it very stiff every morning upon waking. Have had ex Ray all seems ok tho !!
    • Posted

Hi Carolbogdan

It seems we are at the same stage. Yes,It appears it clicks when I move also. AND stiff in the morning. My xray is March 1st,see surgeon on the 8th. Glad all seems ok with you. If I get same result Ill be happy. Thanks.

• Posted

My knee felt a click in it just for a few weeks, after that it just disappeared
    • Posted

Thanks jemma. 10 weeks for me,but it seems we are all different. Glad weve got the forum.
  • Posted

There comes a point in time when we have to realize that this is our body and our concerns. A surgeon is compelled by his Hippocratic Oath as a physician to treat not only the body of a patient, but the mind and spirit as well. They don't pay us for our time to sit and wait in his waiting room. They don't pay us for the time we spend waiting for him to come in the exam room just to give us a brief 4 minutes then disappear. They're the ones getting paid for their services and if we have concerns to address or need advice then they are obligated to provide that to us. I'm a nurse and I'll be damned if I allow a doctor to brush me off if I have questions that need answers. Sometime people put physicians and particularly surgeons up on a pedestal and they are only human, not superhuman. If you have concerns or questions about your recovery then you deserve to be treated with consideration and have your concerns addressed and resolved by your surgeon. Sorry, that sounded like a rant, but I've also falled into that category in the past, afraid to take up too much time with my surgeon and I regretted it. He was arrogant, dismissive and uncaring. I dumped him and got a new surgeon for my other knee, one that cares enough to explain things and to listen to me when I ask questions.
    • Posted

Thanks for that also jemma. Main reason Ive not said much is Ive seen him when he can still make a difference. On 8th March Im assuming this will be the last time Im due to see him. And you are NOT ranting. I dfeel exactly the same. I have not put him on a pedestal but we will definitely be on equal terms when next we meet. If he displays the same behaviour,I will be telling him i dont like it and also making an official complaint about it. THEN i will see another surgeon for a 2nd opinion. I couldnt afford to pay for the op but I CAN afford a consultation as I have private insurance and will only pay a proportion. I will keep you posted.

John.

• Posted

Hi from SF,

I am 7 1/2 weeks out from a PKR on my right knee.  I too experience alot of stiffness all the time which works itself out once moving.  It just happens when I am in a fixed postition for any length of time.  I too have wondered if this will ever go away. My PT also said to expect changes with the weather.  Right now it is cold and rainy which can assist in bringing on these symtoms.  Then I am told in the warmer months that will change. 

I too am driving,. faithfully doing my PT exercises and walking.  I went back to wearing my FitBit and my goal is to work toward the Weight Watchers plan of 10,000 steps a day.  So far my biggest day was 8k steps.  I just push a little more everyday.

The only time I have heard clicking is when my PT but me on the stationary bike and I for the first time did slow full rotations.  Oddly enough, I felt a clicking on the outside of my knee where the IT band is located.  He told me that the more I strengthen my quads and hamstrings it will go away.  They were also doing really painful deep tissue massage on that area along with the electrical current therapy.

This is all so new and such a process.  I think many of us after going through all this tend to get somewhat nervous when something like the clicking pops up. I know that I don't want anything to interfer or go wrong so I am hypervigilent.

It just keeps getting better

• Posted

Hi Forrest

I think the weather here in UK,wonder if you in California,has affected me slightly as its getting colder. Im feeling more than hearing quite a lot. If youve done 8K you are doing well. I feel I could do about a mile but non medical people are urgimng caution for me. Im not even walking much every day and most ive done is about half a mile. Thanks.

• Posted

HI,  I was doing all the things you are at the 10 week mark too, though I was walking w/o a cane.  I am 9 months from a TKR, left knee. I have a small tender spot on the outside of my knee, around the knee cap. The nerves are cut when they do the TKR and they are the last to repair. I had a click in my knee for several months and my surgeon said it could go away but it could also be permanent...thank goodness it finally went away.  My knee gets stiff if I sit too long in one position but goes away after I move around a bit. This is also all normal. They weren't kidding when they said it would take a GOOD year to get back to 'normal', whatever that is...wink  I still massage my knee with oil and it helps quite a lot. We're all different and heal differently but for the most part we all get through this ordeal and back to living.
    • Posted

Hi Pyesangel

Im pretty sure i could manage without the cane, do so for short walks like to the dustbin etc. but Tend to use it for support. And as said previously im not walking a great deal. If I was sure it was a good exercise for the knee id do,or at least attempt,more. But its just knowing how much is good and how much is too much. Hope the clicking goes like yours but if it doesnt and everything else ok ill be happy. Im also expecting at least a year before normality but think im doing ok unless the surgeon says theres something on the xray. Thanks.

• Posted

Hi John

I think we spoke before a couple of weeks back.  We are both at the same stage and same age. I still have a lot of pain but not as much as at the beginning. Still don't sleep well and extremely stiff and sore in the morning or if I sit in the one spot for any length of time. I have weaned myself off most of the really strong painkillers but still use the lighter ones to function.  I ice it at least 5 times a day.  I can walk well and do not use an aid, but am so disappointed in how long recovery is taking.

• Posted

Hi Ann

Yes,remember you. I dont have massive pain but my leg feels heavy after walking. Are you the same? Ive been into town shopping this morning,drove 6 miles each way,probably walked around half a mile,some of it uphill. Like you im off the strog painkiller,tramadol, and now on co codamol and naproxen. I think well both be still raw actually,and though we think we should be doing better we are actually doing very well according to a lot of posters. You mention ice this is one thing im not doing as much these days . Maybe i should do more . Thanks Ann.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.