10 weeks still some concerns.

Posted , 16 users are following.

Its now 10 weeks since my surgery,total knee replacement. Im now driving, going to the gym for exercises in water, stationary cycling. I can walk with a stick,have walked half a mile with no undue effects.

BUT. I still get pain in my knee,not unbearable but I can feel it. Will the site still be sore? ALSO Every time I move my knee I can FEEL rather than HEAR a click. Do other people at the same stage feel/remember this clicking. According to some on the forums this is normal. Also stiffness in the mornings,though this goes off after 10/15 minutes once Im out of bed. Any comments appreciated.

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sounds good to me John.

Stretching, walking, driving same as you but still a lot of stiffness and pain nothing as bad as at the start but you are always aware you have a knee!

Was definitely doing too much a couple weeks back and am much better since I pulled back a bit.

Again looking at the forum here we are both doing very well but it just seems so long now.

Addicted to the cryocuff! Ice at least 5 times a day.

• Posted

Hi John, I asked my physiotherapist today about the clicking we are both feeling in our knee and she said it was quite normal but should settle down in time. She said to remember we have had major surgery and to only do what our replacement will let us do as it will take a lot more time to mend on the inside due to muscel and nerves been cut, her advice to me was do my exercises and push myself harder every other day. My bend today is at 115% and my knee straight has another 2" to go then I am going in the gym to use the exercise equipment, she also said that at 26 days post surgery I'm doing great so keep up the good work and we both will get to where we want to with mobility xx
    • Posted

Glynis

Thanks for getting back to me,I appreciate that. As said Im still noticing it quite a lot but its encouraging that your physio says its normal. Lets face iit she will have seen and heard of a lot of such cases! You are doing very very well at that stage. Im hoping everybody on this forum gets the same results. We are all friends it seems. Great support.

John.

• Posted

Keep in touch and let me know your progress and I will do the same, its great having this forum for support, I've had some good advice from some lovely people. xx
  • Posted

Hi John, sounds like you're doing well for 10 weeks, keep it up!

I'm 13 weeks out from left TKR, and 10 months out from the first. First time around I asked my surgeon about the clicking, and he said it was absolutely normal, and showed it was working properly. And I trust him, he's been great with me - 2 TKR's within 7 months of each other and I'm not yet 50....

I read that you're in the UK, right? Whereabouts are you? And strangely enough I've had about half a dozen people in the past few days comment on the weather making things worse......

• Posted

Hi Terry, it's exactly 4wks today since I had my left tkr done and already I can tell that the weather has an effect on the movement and stiffness.

My physiotherapist told me the exact same thing about the click, I'm from County Durham Uk

• Posted

Terri

Sounds like you have gone through the mill also. Hope its upwards from now. Thanks for your encouragement,good to know the surgeon thinks it normal. Mine is too ignorant to answer questions,but he is going to be asked a few on March 9th. 

Im in Yorkshire. How about you? Also the weather does seem to have had an effect.

John.

• Posted

Hi again, Im in Derbyshire (just outside of Derby, a few miles from East Midlands Airport), but up until recent years Ive had family in Yorkshire - Maltby, Scarborough, Wombwell, Sheffield.....they got everywhere lol! 

We're having some lovely sunshine today, still pretty cold and windy but beautiful blue skies. I should go for a walk I suppose......

What a shame we dont all have good experiences with our Surgeons - I honestly couldnt have asked for better. Mr Howard (my Surgeon) spoke to me and about me as a human being with thoughts, feelings and opinons rather than a patient who knew nothing. He is also very strongly anti-ageism (his phrase) which worked massively in my favour. I really hope you can get the answers you want when you next meet with your fella. 

• Posted

Hi Terri

All familiar places to me those. Mr Howard sounds like a good guy. Darent say the name of mine as I dont want repercussions. But I have a good idea he wont want to answer my questions,so we will be falling out if he does. Then I will go private for a 2nd opinion under Westfield and also put a complaint in about the guys attitude. May even have to start a new discussion on it!

• Posted

You definitely know what kind of weather your going to have as soon as you get up depending on the stiffness sad

I don't have a click though!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.