10 year addicting to Opiates

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have a chronic pain condition that my Doctor prescribes me Oxycontin for. I started about 10 years ago with Tramadol, I stopped that suddenly when I became pregnant with my son. It was torture but as I was pregnant I had to just stop! When I had him they reputed my bowels and I ended up with a colostomy bag and almost a month in intensive care. Resulting in me back on stronger pain killers this time with Oxycontin. I have now been on these for nearly 5 years. I started with 20mg twice a day and am now taking about 300mg a day. It has completely taken over my life. I am desperate to get off it. I have tried many times but always end up back on it. I have tried a few times to taper but always have a flare up with pain and end up back on them. I have never completely came off them. I am having a lot of other problems now though with fainting and weight loss along with low blood sugars. The doctors are adamant that my pain killers are not to blame for these other issues and they may not be, but I am convinced they are not helping. I think about pain killers every hour or every day. Today I have decided that I am going to taper and get off them for good. I have decided to post on here so I have some sort of support. I do not feel as if I can talk to many of my friends or family about it as they see me in a lot of pain and feel that I need to be on them for my pain. I know the phycological effect they are having on me though, and I despise it. I have decide to cut down just 10mg a day, does anyone think this is a good idea or have any suggestions for me. I went cold turkey with tramadol and it was horrific so I really do not want to go down that road again. I am going to start some meditation and yoga to try and help as well. I have read on a lot of sites about people using immodium for the lotradine in it that people say is an opiate but does not cross the blood brain barrier. Anyone any ideas on this? I am adamant to stop this time so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

1 like, 106 replies

106 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sorry I havent been on here for a while. As you'll probably guess I ended up in a lot of pain with a flare up and started taking more again. I am so disappointed in myself, but I need to remember if I did it once I can do it again. I dint want to start taking anything else to help with the withdrawal but I think I'm going to have to. Will power alone doesn't seem to work. I'm still working full time and when I have to stand talking to clients with sweat pouring down my face and terrible irritability it really doesn't look very professional! 

Can anyone recommend what I could suggest to my GP? He just tells me that I need to taper but its not that easy. At one point they put me on Mophine capsules instead of Oxycontin, and I got absolutely no high from them at all. So I am thinking that maybe thats what I need and then I can taper them? Really struggling here and I am back up to 250mg a day. 

• Posted

Dont beat yourself up matey. Lets face it, you didnt get the support you needed from day 1 did you!!

Just put everything down to experience, like you said, you've done it before so yes, you can do it again. But, you do need the support you should get but youve never had!!

Good to hear from you.

Keep your chin up matey xx

• Posted

Thanks Ritchie. I've tried so hard today but the longtec really only works for 7 hours tops then the sweats start pretty bad! Do you think I should taper or ask my GP for something to help? I have been fainting a lot and my blood tests have been showing very low hormone levels and blood sugar levels. So they think I have Addisons disease. I think that it's the oxycontin playing havoc but who knows.

• Posted

Someone recommended gabapentin to me when I was going through withdrawal, it helped me so much especially with sleeping and shaking and sweats, see what your doc says, good luck😊

• Posted

I honestly cannot advise you what to do as everyone is different.

I still sweat loads after being off it for 15months & im now between 35-40mils methadone per day.

My testosterone level was "in my boots" according to the Endochrinologist so im now having hormone injections every 3months & thats another problem all in itself!

I would ask your GP to be honest. Tell them how you feel & see what they say. Good luck & stick at it 👍

• Posted

Thanks Ritchie. I'm seeing this Endocrinologist tonight and the GP during the day. Inbetween my work. That's awful that you still have hormonal problems when you're off it now. I need to stop it asap. I just want to feel normal again.

• Posted

I agree wholeheartedly with Ritchie. I am entering weeks 8 of morphine cold turkey and find my armpits start to stink even while I am still in the shower and just washed them—that's your body's way of getting the drug (all toxins) out... I hope it doesn't last too long, I had three meetings yesterday and yes, was sweating through all of them. 

As for the hormones, I am female and did not menstruate for over five-six years (not that I missed it). However, last month, I did and I feel it coming again (makes me really want the morphine back ; )  ) . I would stay away from the hormones myself, I was given high level hormones (that were doubled and doubled and doubled again to get the 'curse' back) but they didn't work. Once you get off completely, your hormones should come back to normal on their own, and potentially much more quickly than you think.

Good luck be strong and do it (if you want to). 

Good luck, but an essential oil you like to cover the stench (armpit application works well) and wear layers so you can control body temperature. I realise you may have cold sweats, but they don't last as long

• Posted

Thanks. I'm going to see the Dr today so for the first time in over 10 years im going to stress how much I desperately need off them.

The support on here is invaluable though so I'll report back soon.

• Posted

Good luck with it.

Hope all goes well for you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.