10 years post tkr op. Anyone else that far?

Posted , 15 users are following.

Just fell and bent knee way beyond its maximum. Heard a cracking/crunching sound and I am in excruciating pain. Should I go to a&e?

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I would have a MRI done for cure or CT or even 3 phase bone scan is most accurate
    • Posted

I assume you're in the USA? We don't get the coice in the UK!

• Posted

Hi Eileen You are so right, we get an X ray & if we are very lucky an MRI!

God bless the NHS

XX

🎄🎄

• Posted

To be fair - you will nearly always get the x-ray and they are getting more likely to do an MRI these days. And it won't break the bank - if we are skint we haven't got to save up to pay the co-pay to get the CT done that will tell us if we then need to save up the co-pay because our cancer has come back...

There is a superb post on FB today about just that: a lady had a chest x-ray that had a bit on it that suggested her breast cancer was back as a lung nodule. But she couldn't afford the co-pay for the CT for 2 months - and after that there would be the co-pay for her treatment. More delay. 

No, with all its flaws the NHS is a Good Thing - I just hope this gubmint doesn't break it, because that is what they want to do.

• Posted

Eileen......you can't MRI a prosthesis, unfortunately all that comes out is a black blob. The scan will not direct through the foreign object of plastic and steel.

• Posted

Er - it was a response to someone's comment about the NHS, not whether you could MRI a prosthesis!

If you look - it wasn't me who suggested an MRI, it was april99094.

But actually - you CAN do an MRI of a replaced joint if you need to for possible adjacent fracture or the like "provided the radiography department can utilize the MARS MRI protocol which is when adjustments are made to the xray unit to cut down the glare caused by the metal objects."

• Posted

Hi Eileen you are so correct, we are very lucky to have the NHS. Especially the staff who work in it. Overworked & under paid but dedicated.

I just hope my grandchildren still have it when they grow up. Having just had TKR & all the other treatment I've had over the years I consider myself very fortunate.

God bless the NHS

XX

• Posted

True but "adjacent" is The operative word not for the joint are itself. Sorry, I thought in your post you mentioned getting an mri in addition to the x ray. Anyway.......no harm

• Posted

I sort of did - but it was commenting that the NHS is getting rather better at offering a bit more than just an x-ray as opposed to saying Brenda needed both. 

But quite - no harm!

• Posted

accually you can have a MRI with prosthesis because i had one, and you can have a CT and a 3 phase bone scan

• Posted

I don't know how they did it. I've been told by 3 surgeons and an mri tech it gives nothing but a black blob anywhere there is solid foreign material because the image cannot read anything it can't slice through. Maybe some of the connecting soft tissue above and below. Just the basic principle of an mri..the slicing of the entire area in thin pieces and reading those pieces would seem to make it impossible to slice steel and plastic. Who knows what they are looking for and how they read them. They refused to consider it for me after I fell this summer

• Posted

The quote in my reply above is part of it - there isn't any point seeing into the centre of the solid prosthesis but with software to reduce the "glare" you would be able to see the surrounding tissues. Which, one might assume, are where the major problems are likely to be. And as the quote says - it will depend on the availability of the technology "provided the radiography department can utilize the MARS MRI protocol"

• Posted

If you need to see if there is something wrong with your implant you have to do a 3 phase bone scan.
    • Posted

Mri can show surrounding tissues and ligaments
  • Posted

For piece of mind yes. Is this in the leg with the replacement or the other? Which way was the bend when you fell. It could be a lot of the noise was the tearing of old scar tissue and yes, that pain can be indescribable. Personally, I would get back to my surgeon asap. One of The issues concerning The tearing of soft tissue in the repaired knee, they can't do an mri as all they get us an unreadable black blob, therefore; it is the expertise of the dr. that has to be relied on for an opinion. I've taken 3 falls over the years. One was the day after my revision and I did a torque or twisting break of the femur( 20° outside to inside break). I still had the femoral block in place but didn't feel anything. Otherwise the pain would have be a monster size event. The 2nd one was due to having a bladder infection, not eating and serious BP drink. I did a 3 point landing on both knees and forehead on a hardwood floor. This resulted in six stitches in my head and reactivating a staph in my knee that had been previously considered cured. The 3rd, I was going tho the bathroom at 5vin throbbing when suddeningly, in full stride, my bad leg, hip decided to stop working and I fell with a twisting action as I was trying to avoid hitting a trunk we have at the foot of the bed. I landed awkwardly after bouncing off the wall. No damage to the knee but still trying to get my spine and hip realigned. Basically, the prosthesis can take a lot but all the stuff around it is vulnerable to damage. I would let the surgeon examine and establish protocol. Meanwhile, its back to rest and ice. Don't stay active and take a chance of possibly doing more damage to the soft tissue.

• Posted

Good heavens OFG! You're a "fall risk"! Just kidding cause I know you've been through hell. Merry Christmas!

• Posted

They put a yellow wrist band on me just going to the grocery store and only let me go to the ice machine them I'm supervised closely.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.