100mg pregabalin twice a day side effects

Posted , 3 users are following.

I started off with 50mg twice a day for 2 weeks. Been on 100mg twice a day for 4 days now. I feel like I have a fever all the time and feel depressed also having palpations. I'm taking them for gad. Also I'm still feeling tensed! When do they start working properly?? Also are these side effects normal?

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Lisa

I'm sorry that you are suffering these side effects - I will never understand why Doctors Use Pregabalin for GAD as the patient feedback shows that even if the GAD improves for a short while within 2 months it comes back with a vengeance. When you consider this drug was originally intended for control of Seizures who on earth thought it would be a good idea to use it for Anxiety as an off label use?! This drug changes the brain chemistry and central nervous system within one week of taking it. Your body becomes dependent on it within one month, although medics insist it is not addictive. It's a play on words to my mind. Your side effects are an early warning that this is not a good drug for you to take and as you have been on a relatively low dose for less than one month you may wish to consider coming off it. Obviously this is a choice only you can make. If you do decide to stop, please don't just cease immediately. If you try going back down to 50mg x 2 daily to start with and then see how you are before stopping completely. As you seem sensitive to Pregabalin you may suffer some withdrawal symptoms, ie Nausea, sleep disruption, palpitations etc. but this should pass quite quickly. The flu-like symptoms should go away and the depression/anxiety should ease also. 

Doctors seem unaware of the side effects and withdrawals of this drug, although if you read the leaflet carefully you will learn more of reported incidences and warnings. Do some research for yourself also just in case the Doctor urges you to take higher and higher doses. I have been on 200mg daily for over 2 years and I am having to taper off very slowly owing to the dreadful side effects and withdrawals. I know first hand how hard it is after being on this for a long time, but you have a chance to avoid my situation as you have not been on them long enough to do more damage. I wish you all the best, but if you want to ask anything further please post again and I will reply.

• Posted

I wason pregabalin 25 mgms a day for three weeks and it caused a movement disorder cortical myoclonus and long qt syndrome so it is incorrect to say the dose is not high enough etc to cause harm. I assume you are not a dr.this forum is unmoderated
    • Posted

Hi thank you for replying. I am going to try and cut down to 50mg twice a day as I don't think this 100mg twice a day is suiting me at all. I constantly feel like i have a fever x

• Posted

This forum is moderated. Your case is extremely rare otherwise it would have been now listed on the accompanying leaflet with the drug. I assume that you have reported this to the Yellow Card Scheme and hopefully had a reply asking you for more details. I am not a Doctor and did not say that I was. I have however researched this drug thoroughly and am now part of research. The statements I made are correct as far as my knowledge goes.

I do know what it is like to be one of very few that have a rare reaction to a drug. I was put on Amitriptyline for chronic nerve pain and 3 weeks in I discovered that this drug had triggered Sudden Onset Acute Angled Narrow Closure Glaucoma. By the time I got to a hospital (only 36hours after first symptoms appeared) I was losing the sight in my right eye. It took 4 hours of treatment to save my sight followed by emergency laser eye surgery. After this in 2015 I was put on Gabapenten and had awful side effects - then came Pregabalin. These are hard hitting drugs, chemical cosh's given to patients often off label. However, even I have to accept that there are 'rare' reactions depending on the individual. I am sorry if my reply upset or offended you in any way but I stand by the information given, other than I will now accept that no dose of this drug is at a 'safe' level.. The leaflet for Pregabalin does warn of possible seizures if stopped cold turkey which is why I said NOT to do this. Also, every patient experiences a different level of side effects/wd's. I always caution and advise a slow and careful taper if the drug has been in the system over a month. There are Doctors out there who just advise to 'stop' because they do not believe it causes withdrawals. It is being touted as a 'safe' alternative to Opiates!

Both of the medical conditions you mention have a similarity to side effects experienced by many patients on Lyrica/Pregabalin but obviously the drug triggered these for you. I am so very sorry that you have suffered in such a way and hope the symptoms will improve over time if this is possible. My Glaucoma is still ever present and I know that I may yet have to undergo scalpel surgery to correct it as there is a possibility that the laser eye surgery will fail at some point. 

I hope that you continue on this forum to advise and help others as I intend to. Best wishes

• Posted

I am sorry to hear that Lyrica cause a glaucoma. Not all side effects are listed on the inserts or patient information leaflets. Pregabelin,neurontin and over 21 other drugs were never researched, end of. 

if they are not listed and drs cannot be bothered to find out properly where does that leave the [patient/victim?

• Posted

The neurologist reported it to the MHRA as I did not know why my balance was so bad and the cause of the jerky movements. LONG QT is another adverse reaction/side effect of pregabalin. These drugs imho should be banned as a matter of urgency. Take care and I hope you feel better.x
    • Posted

Oh how I wish these two drugs could and would be banned! I think within 10 years or so the medical profession will have woken up to the dire side effects and withdrawals. I personally believed that I had early Dementia with Pregabalin/Lyrica, I moved to be near to my Brother because I was so sure that I was losing my brain capacity. I had memory loss, brain fog, loss of language skills....so confused, so unsure, so very poorly. So many other side effects as well. I fight now within forums and on groups to help others on these drugs to realise how awful they are and enable them to taper down and off them. Please do the same, there are more and more of us day by day because they are being given out like sweeties world wide as the answer to all pain and prayers. It is the next 'Opiate' crisis waiting to happen but the Medical Profession just will not wise up. Again I am so sorry you have suffered and do hope that things improve for you. I am going through withdrawals now I have managed to get down to 14mg x 2 a day that are simply dreadful but I am determined to come off this drug. Perhaps you could join our group that I mentioned because the research and files that are on there are second to none. If we help ourselves, then we are able to help others! Your input would help other members suffering the same symptoms that you endure. The natural remedies file is extensive and I have had some small success trying some of them. Totally up to you of course. Be better very soon

• Posted

should report all side effects to the dr who prescribed this drug. pregabelin can cause irregular heart rate.
    • Posted

I have reported my palpations he told me to cut down on my dosage. I also feel like I have a constant fever
    • Posted

Is he going to wean u off? This has to be done slowly USUALLY. How long have u been taking it for. see Neurontin and pregabalin should be made illegal support groups
    • Posted

No I have only been taking 100mg twice a day for about 5 days so I'm just going to lower to 50mg twice a day

• Posted

I am unsure re the reduction regime but you could check with  pharmacist or an oline support forum called Neurontin and lyrica withdrawal support groups. x
    • Posted

I am pleased you are going to reduce bearing in mind your reactions to this drug. I can advise you on how to drop more slowly if you find you need to Lisa. I am using water titration to taper off which basically is just emptying the contents of one capsule of say 50mg and adding 50ml of warm to hot water. The capsule contents are water soluble so just mix well together with the water. You will need a basic 50ml marked Syringe (which are very cheap on Amazon) and you draw out whatever amount you wish to come down by. Say, you wish to go down to 40mg x 2 a day, you would then just draw 10ml liquid out from each capsule and discard that leaving you with the right dosage of 40mg. You can continue down by 10mg at a time or 5mg if you find your withdrawals bother you. It is so easy to do - I do it every day! I belong to a support Group on Fb called Lyrica Pregabalin Survivors and could not have tapered off without their help and understanding. If you feel you need that care and support please join (you just have to answer 2 or 3 questions). There are a lot of UK members, along with many other countries as this drug has now become a world wide problem. I will leave it up to you.
    • Posted

Please discuss the side effects with your dr.
    • Posted

No such thing as 'normal 'side effects. please I would urge you to dicuss any concerns or side effects with your dr. He or she is the only person privy to tour medical history, blood results, drugs and any allergies and sensitivities.

There is a water titration video online. Just google water titration on name of drug that you are withdrawing from.

You have to ensure that the drug is able to be soluble in water and is properly dissolved to ensure an accurate dose.

Full details are given in the videos and also on other forums,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.