10cm ovarian dermoid cyst

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi there I am 22 years old and was diagnosed with an ovarian cyst on my left ovary. I have not yet had any children so this was very upsetting. After finding an experienced consultant and raising the money I will finally be having my surgery in two days. I have never had surgery before and there are a lot of things that worry me like the catheter, what the anestetic will feel like, whether i'll wake up, if I'll be sick or loopy afterwards, and the recovery. 

I would love to hear anyones experiences and of course I will be letting you know how I get on. 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi adriana36410,  I was having quite sharp pains in my lower pelvis right down by the groin crease. It was quite lucky because I originally went in with what was assumed to be a kidney stone as I had blood in my urine, I was admitted to the hospital and they did a CT scan and found the cyst. I had been having pain on and off for a couple of weeks before I finnaly got admitted but it had been a dull ache up until then. Also I would usually have pain in my left side around ovulation every month so I had assumed it was just mittlesmertze. 
  • Posted

Hello ladies, I had my surgery earlier today at around 10 am and it took around 3 hours. To anybody going for laparoscopic surgery here is my experience...

I woke up with a pretty sore throat, I am eating some raspeberries right now and they seem to be soothing it. 

Initially going for a wee I need the assistance of the nurse the first time and choose the bed pan the second time but throught out the day I was able to get up with minimal assistance from my mum and then was able to do most of the work myself. 

Coughing definitely hurts so I have tried to avoid it. 

I am still wearing my sexy compression stockings and am doing some gentle foot movements as I type this to keep the blood flowing. 

I didn't remeber anything from being under anestetic and when I woke up I didn't have my catheter in so it must have been removed after the surgery. It took a while to get my bladder going for a bit and it's still a bit stop start but it is definitely getting better. 

I am not getting the shoulder pain that others have mentioned from the gas but as it is still day one I may still get it. Hope this helps anyone who is due to have keyhole surgery. Feel free to ask questions, nothing is too TMI. I'd love to be able to help anyone out in similar situation. biggrin

• Posted

Hello Emily, thank you and so pleased it all went really well for you, you sound like you are doing so very well considering you only had the operation today.

Did they say how much it weighed?

Do you know how long you will be in hospital for?

I have 1 son Im 46 now and no more children.  They are removing both overies and tubes the cyst is slightly larger than yours 11 x 9 x 8 cm I'm hoping they can do it the same as yours but its attached itself to bowel and something else so they arn't sure.  They will try that way first and if they can't they have to cut bikini line too.  Fingers crossed they can do it the first way especially now I hear you are doing so well.  Bet you are so relieved its out.

Take care and keep in touch hun.

xx

• Posted

Hiya Sandra, 

Yes, have got to say though I was a lot more tender on day 2 (yesterday) escpecially the belly button stitch but am feeling a lot better again this morning. 

They haven't said yet but the surgeon has pictures that he will let me see in two weeks at my post op but I feel a lot lighter so I will be interested to know. 

I am home already I went into surgery at 10am and left by 7.30pm the same day, it was initially going to be an overnight stay but they were happy to discharge me later that day and I actually felt well to leave. 

I am glad you have been blessed with a child, my fertility shouldn't have been affected but I will probably have doubts for a while. Hopefully they can do it laparascopic for you as I feel I am doing a lot better for it. 

I can tell you even behind the pain there is so much relife, I know you will probably know what I mean when I say it feels like carrying around a bag of shopping internally. 

Good luck with your surgery and I hope you get your laparascopic and that they can save as much as possible. Fingers crossed. x

• Posted

Good morning Emily,

Wow that is incredible home already, you will be running around the block soon :-) ...x

Keep me posted on your recovery and how your post op goes.

Yes it does feel like we are carrying a huge amount of weight around, nothing fits, feel so bloated, can only eat small amouts because of the feeling of being full, were you the same?

Are you able to potter around your home or bed rest?

Take care and take it easy.

xx

• Posted

Hello Emily,

Just checking in on how you are doing now after your operation?

Take care xx

(ps my op is Monday)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.