10mg going on 20.

Posted , 8 users are following.

So today My Doctor suggested going onto 20mg Citalopram. I've been on 10mg for the last 4 weeks. During that time it has been a roller coaster ride to say the least. Still been finding too many doesn't days for my own liking. Bracing myself for the onslaught of side effects again, but hoping the drugs are going to start to kick in, and take effect. Will keep you posted. Will start the 20 on Tuesday or Wednesday. 

1 like, 101 replies

101 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Been on the triage waiting list for CBT for 5 weeks. Today assessor said CBT not appropriate due to recent episodes in my behaviour (sucidial intentions). Been referred for full psych assessment now instead. Feel like I'm back to day 1 on the waiting list, but have been re-assured referral has been flagged as urgent. Maybe that's good, to at least know I'll be accessed by a Phychiatrist, and not just palmed off with a a psychologist wielding 6 weeks CBT and then deemed better to all the world. #nervous #impatient #wanttogetbetter!
    • Posted

Good luck with the assessment and hope you get the appropriate help. Keep posting!

Regards,

David

• Posted

Hey ELR, good you see it as a positive which it is getting the right help things are moving well its good focus on recovery and not that its like step 1 again they're the best people to work with you take care keep us posted like David said x
    • Posted

Thanks guys. I've been a little anxious again, worrying about the unknown, as well as worrying about missing their call as I'm away next week. So, I took control this morning googled the A&A team for my borough, and chased up my appointment myself. That's helped put me at ease. I've been told to expect their call today or tomorrow, and if not by 2pm tomorrow, to follow up again myself. I make that a result. Go me! 😊
  • Posted

Hi E.L.R.

Hoping this all turns out for you. Wanted to ask the forum if anyone has feelings of paranoia?? Been 5 days on 20mg, struggling to get out of bed, and not "feeling" myself until around 6pm, then it's time for more meds........I wondered and would appreciate advice on halfing my 20mg to reduce the effects??

Thoughts always welcome......

• Posted

Hi Jen, YES! To that question, I did not know that you could get some paranoia thrown in with Cita until after it started. It was aches and pains which led to worrying about other things that may be wrong whether they presented themselves physically or not. Dr gave me everything from ECG, blood tests to a full healthy man check up! All I gained from it was that I could lose a couple of stone. However, it did reassure me that things were not getting weird when I posted and got the "Welcome to the Club!" responses.

Do not reduce the med this will only make you worse! Seriously you will get withdrawl! Stick with it and keep posting for all the help you need - even virtual hugs!

You will get better and also remember that if/when you increase you may get slight side effects with the increase too, but again it does get easier and in no time you'll be where I am advising some one on such matters!

Go with it and try and keep positive.

Regards and a virtual hug,

David x

• Posted

Hey Jen, yep paranoia for sure my doctor thought I had PTSD at first because of my hypersensitivity and paranoia however depression and anxiety especially very known for extreme racing neavous system in turn paranoia, because I was so fatiqued I got my thyroid checked blood test as I was in denial about depression/anxiety and was perfect so if thats not paranoid then I'm Jimmy Pop! Take care smile
    • Posted

Thank you stevo about the paranoia. So that goes along with the citalopram too, goodness what doesn't!
    • Posted

There will be some weird things happening the key to overcoming and reducing anxiety from worrying is to stand in the mirror and look at yourself and say its just the medication making me think this way thats all it is nothing is going to hurt me! say that 5 times to yourself it isnt that your crazy rather that you're courageous you have a solution things will improve keep telling yourself that take your mind away from worry and the what ifs be rational and you'll be fine try it it worked for me? look after yourself your doing real good!
    • Posted

I will give that a try, anything to help me through this, thank you again!
  • Posted

Hi Jen,

D that's a yes from me too. Though not too severe for me. My primary worry was thinking there was someone behind me, and always having to look over my shoulder. Then, is someone passed me from behind walking on the street, it would startle me. Then secondary was in the supermarket. I would think people were following me, and everyone was looking at me. I have to say that booze heightened the paranoia for me, so I've cut it out now. Well, I'm on my 5th day without any. The booze was worsening other thoughts for me too.

Other than this, I have to say the paranoia was worse when I started the 10mg, than when I increased to 20mg, and I'm confident enough to say it decreases as the levels of cit settled in.

Take care.

• Posted

Yeah every little ache and pain I have I think the worst is happening to me. Still on 10 mg, still tired and anxious, so come the 30 th. who knows but my doctor might increase it to 20 mg but the side effects I wish didn't come with the increase, I need to be alert for when my granddaughter comes for a few days. Good luck to you Jen.
    • Posted

If you can stay off the alcohol until things settle and clear all the better! I did not have a drink for 4 months and now we get three or four 500ml bottles of real ale, perhaps, but not always once a week, try different ones and enjoy it. Different from me who was throwing it down me neck to get through one day and the following. I must also say that prior to me becoming ill I realised I could not carry on and the pub culture was not for me anymore. Not the way it was, that is.

We have decided that if I keep improving we will go out when other friends are going out, have a good catch up enjoy the ale and get fish and chips after! Friday night once a month just have a good tine and wake up the next morning with a relatively clear head. Anyway, I cannot, nor do I want to, drink as much as I used to. My life has turned around and I realise you can have fun without getting bladdered!

Well done on yer 5th day without here's to yer 6th and many more!

All the very best,

David

• Posted

So being paranoid goes with the citalopram? Today I feel not good, tired of course and anxious and paranoid, like every little thing with me hurting might be something more seriously wrong, so of course my anxiety kicks in and tiredness/fatigue kicks in. I took a 1/4 clonazepam in hopes it will settle me down, kind of scared!
    • Posted

Hi Cindy.

One piece of advice receive on here that I've taken on board is to try and find something to do that you can use to distract yourself from your everyday circle of thoughts. When you get caught in your anxiety and paranoia it can be a difficult place to get out of. I've had 2 rules for myself.

1. Try to enjoy something simple everyday.

2. No daytime TV. (Because it's so depressing)

I've been feeling a little better the last couple of days. During this time I've focused on having my coffee in garden in the morning, taking long, slow walks, and the last couple of days doing a 500 piece jigsaw puzzle. None of these things I'd usually do if I had time off work, but now I'm signed off, in these things I'm finding joy. It helps keep my mind focused on positive things. Finishing my jigsaw today was an achievement. It's easy to loose sights of achievements when we remove ourselves from other daily routines.

Allow yourself space to relax. Find something simple you can enjoy, and re-try it for yourself.

Again, take care.

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words and suggestions, i sure am trying
    • Posted

Hi ELR Great news about appointment things are on the up and up! smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.