10mg going on 20.

Posted , 8 users are following.

So today My Doctor suggested going onto 20mg Citalopram. I've been on 10mg for the last 4 weeks. During that time it has been a roller coaster ride to say the least. Still been finding too many doesn't days for my own liking. Bracing myself for the onslaught of side effects again, but hoping the drugs are going to start to kick in, and take effect. Will keep you posted. Will start the 20 on Tuesday or Wednesday. 

1 like, 101 replies

101 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Won't let me reply directly to you Cindy........but I will persevere, many report great things on this drug, others, not so good.......I just feel so scared and jumpy all the time, not wanting to go out, and becoming detached from life in general. Hope you get the results you need. :-)
    • Posted

Same way I'm feeling too, I know I should persevere too, but been feeling these things since the end of Jan.
    • Posted

January is along time to be feeling like that ........Well you having nothing to lose but to try them.

Stress at work just creeped up on me-until I just broke down one day, told the boss I was leaving. Since I have had good support, but want this feeling in my gut and head to stop. I will take a 20mg this evening before bed, and see if the side effects are lessened, then hopefully I can tolerate them and get the suckers into my system! Good Luck, and thank you so much for understanding and replying x

• Posted

Yes good luck to you too, hope they work out for you, I might change the time I take my pill and see if it helps any, so instead of evening I might try 1, tried mornings but didn't work for me so trying lunch time instead! Good luck once again, hope you feel better soon too!
    • Posted

Jen, take care, and use the support on here. Don't be scared to ask for help or advice. We have all been there. Be strong, and allow the citalopram to work.

I know it is of little comfort to you now, as when I started an hour seemed like a day, and a week a month. You do need to give the pills time. Don't stress about the side effects. Come back here and share your experiences. We will help where we can.

Again, take care. Best of luck.

• Posted

Hi Jen, Like david said tell work your not available that will ease some of the work related anxiety. The fact you are on citalopram is a good thing and you can expect good results with some side effects which will vary however rest assure you may not get the full force of side effects it just depends I tell people I get low side effects because my brain is smaller so I'm lucky smile but seriously stay positive try not freak out with side effects the benefits far out weigh the side effects! everybody on the group get it I log in daily and am happy to pass on anything I can to help! You will be ok when things are down and you're anxious just repeat in your head "I WILL BE OK ITS JUST THE BRAIN ADAPTING TO THE DRUG' Take care my friend all the best!
  • Posted

What a lovely positive discussion. I hope the increase works out well for you E.L.R. I may be upping my dose in a few weeks from 10 -20 so I am interested to see how you get along. Go for it!
    • Posted

Welcome to the conversation lee. I too am grateful for the inspiring words of wisdom on here. But as per the conversation it is certainly not all a walk in the park. Fundamentally I need to resolve my work issues before I'm going to get better. I really do understand that now. The citalopram is a sticking plaster, to cover things up I guess, to give me the strength and emotional ability to be able to do so. I will keep posting no lease do too.

Take care.

• Posted

Nope, no walk in the park that is for sure. I have found this thread interesing, as I think a lot of my issues are work related too. I am a R/N and moved to a new hospital to work in anEmergency unit 2 years ago. I have hated it from day one, so I too need to gain the strenghth to make my move. Feelers are out, and hopefully by the time something comes along I will be back on my feet again. Take care too. smile
    • Posted

WRS is horrible. Sometimes I've managed to cope by implementing temporary measures. Pretending to myself that things will get better, that I just have to hold out for a little bit longer. I too will have been in my current job 2 years at the end of this month. I had my 1st depressive episode stemming from the WRS last summer. About July time. Since then till April this year I've just been playing cat and mouse with my emotions. Running from them, and hiding from them. Then at the end of April "BANG". Something blew up at work that shouldn't have been an issue, but I could no longer cope. That was it. I broke down. Overnight I stopped exercising & stopped seeing my friends. I couldn't put myself into social situations because I'd just break down and cry. In the pub, out with my running piers. Wherever and whenever. The citalopram has quickly put an end to the tears, mostly leaving me feeling quite numb. My partner thinks I'm better because I'm not crying all the time anymore, but the cit doesn't resolve the route of the problem. My WRS. SO LEE, I'm with you on this. Let's be strong together. David posts great messages about his story. That's where we need to get there. I'm 5 weeks into my journey on citalopram. Hopefully in another 5-6 months I too will be in a better place as per David.

Again. Take care.

• Posted

Morning Lee,

A friend of ours is an A & E sister who has just started a return to work after being off with really bad work related stress( and is still on Cita). She loves the work, but realises even though the person that caused so many others stress too, has left, she really should move departments. There are so many things she has to consider Family and finance wise before she does take steps to move that we do worry for her. You know, sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and say enough is enough I cannot help others fully if I cant help myself first.

I have had a relative lifestyle change these passed 7 months. I have finally removed myself from that which made me ill (work) and we recently settled. Could have gone further with it, but didn't have the strength. This has gone a long way in making me feel the stress finally lifting. I have given up eating meat, stopped smoking and we have the occasional bottle of ale these (recent) weeks. In fact we have not been out for these 7 months. This will change when my Family visit from the States in two weeks, including my newly wed niece and hubby. At least I am now ready, but if I hadn't have been then we wouldn't be going out to the pub.

I hope you do get back on yer feet again, but do not worry if it takes a while. If something comes along which you do not get or don't feel ready for then it wasn't meant to be, something is waiting for you around that corner or just over that hill. Something that will click and you'll carry on, perhaps not quite as normal, but, maybe a little wiser as we all hope!

Good luck matey and keep posting!

Regards,

David

• Posted

Good Day everyone, thank you all for contibuting and being extremely supportive! Had a big cry when I read the posts.........

Took said 20mg last night 9pm-could not sleep, numbness in left leg, dry mouth, vivid thoughts, brian racing all over the place....must have nodded off at aound 5pm. Tried to get up at 7.30am, really struggled. Went back to bed at 8am-must have dropped off until noon. Awoke, peeing for Britan, feel spaced and not in the moment. Got this wrench knot in my stomach, it won't go away. Can't eat.

All sounds awful, but here's the thing......I found myself very motivated to do "ordinary" stuff which I have neglected over the past few weeks. I got showered, dressed, squared up, and went out shopping for an hour!!!! I was aware that I wanted to do things, but previously I would sit and stair out my window for hours on end.....

I dread another tablet tonight, as I still feel kinda spaced out ...I will kepp you informed of my progress, and keep you all in my prayers!

• Posted

Good luck to you jen, been there and still there too, we can do it though if we keep in our heads the saying "and this too shall pass" hopefully sooner then later right! Good luck tonight with the pill, we'll get better!!!
    • Posted

Keep going Jen. These eary days are hard, but we are tough enough, and soon we will be feeling better. Cindy is right, this too shall pass. Well done on getting stuff done today. Progress xx
    • Posted

Jen,Cindy Lee and ELR you guys are really brave and nothing will break you remember that!!! once the drug has had a really!! good opportunity to workj there will be lasting benefits focus on the benefits whatever it takes to make life easier and happiersmile everything worth while in life can come at a cost ! make a apoint of forcing a smile every few hours a day do things you love let the side effects take their course and when feeling really sh*tty remember its the adaption to meds tell yourself I'm getting better I'm getting better be careful what you listen too from family after all they know nothing about how you feel but more importantly dont believe your mind all the time the meds and anxiety can play tricks on you so make sure you look in the mirror every once and a while and tell yourself I'm getting better its just the meds messing with me! well it works for me I put things into perspective which greatly helps or talk to mom! stay strong friends look forward to that feeling of happiness.
    • Posted

Massive congratulations Jen. Inspiring. Well done, and thanks for posting your progress. As I was told on here a few weeks ago, remember to take little steps. That is what you have done. I had most of those same side effects when I initially started my 10mg dose. Take courage from me that these will subside, though you will have multiple ups and downs in the interim. Be strong. We are routing for you, and look forward to reading your success on here again soon.
    • Posted

That weird my post wasnt accepted? anyways what I was trying to say to everyone who is having a tough time on side effects and weighing up continued medication is Do it! they will take time which most humans dont enjoy the medication effects the brain so that said there will be some crosses to bear however its all worth it in the end if its taking longer for others then perhaps the dosage is too weak? Its also very hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel when things dont seem to be going that great I try to keep myself from slipping into a depressive state of mind by staying busy and doing things that distract me until I retrun to normality, understanding the chemicals mess with your head is very important in overcoming side effects also as that assists the anxiety. Stay strong guys hang in there you are all very brave powerful people that mean alot to your family friends colleagues etc like any illness there is good and bad finding the balance is half the battle take care !
    • Posted

Excellent! Alwats remember that you will also have downers just when you feel it is all, starting to get better, do not worry and do not panic this is the norm.

As I always say go with the flow and take each day or hour as it comes, when (or if) you do have a downer think about yesterday and how it made you feel. I did and when the downer hit I would curl up under the duvet (upstairs or down) and think about the positives and fall asleep!

You may experience various "concerns" over health issues, chat to your Dr and chat to us. I certainly has mild "concerns" OK! lets be honest 'paranoia' and a full healthy man check up and tests put a lot of that to rest. One thing that did come out of it is that I could loose a couple of stone, but I am eating well and will combat this with extra walking and more salads.

I will put an update on my situation later, in the meantime keep keeping on girl!

Happy Wednesday morning regards,

David

• Posted

There you go Cindy! We all manage to find the time to support each other even when we are also struggling. Now that is a positive!

Best Regards,

David

• Posted

Steveo,

You may have said something that was not accepted by those that (have to) monitor this site. They do not just filter out those that are in the wrong forum, but do not encourage us to recommend certain (could be) products or alternative therapies. Which again is understandable as someone may have an alternative, financial, don't really give a s**t about us reason. Notice I did not actually swear even though the implicatuiion is there - swearing is not acceptable either and I totally agree (however, sometimes you just need to emphasise man!).

I would balance up what you seem to be talking about with that we should understand the natural chemical imbalances that occur and do lead some here for that reason, whereas, myself, for example, it was work related stress. IT WAS! I didn't think I would ever say that! But I have.

Keep postiing my friend.

Regards,

David

• Posted

Yeah David I think it was my swearing the s word like you ha ha which was  shame as i had looked up some of the CBT things about analysing thoughts and so on anxiety triggers. I think I'm in the same boat work related stress dealing with the stress thinking i had it under control but maybe sub consciously not? hope your doing ok today though buddy i have had a slightly tougher day mind wondering but put it down to tiredness and side effects even if that isnt ? gives comfort smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.