11 days after tkr. Can't sleep

Posted , 12 users are following.

11 days post op I am still in agony. Bruising and swelling has been so bad that the surgical socks were cutting into me and making it worse. I gave taken them off for the night. Cannot sleep for longer than 1 hour sessions

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi sue,

Totally understand where your coming from,im 3 weeks post op now and still can not sleep through the night,leg aches and no position seems to be comfy for more than 30 minutes...i tend to get up and come into the living room,and sit in my recliner,and sleep that way,at the moment i take any sleep i can get...Think its something everyone suffers from im sad to say...

• Posted

Thanks Lou. Did you keep the stockings on?
    • Posted

Hi sue,i only wear the stocking in bed now,as im moving around during the day..mine are the thigh high ones and not too bad,does look odd though with just one on lol x
  • Posted

Yes it is something we all seem to suffer with, lack of sleep, I'm at 11 weeks pkr, and still wake constantly, getting 2nd one done Tuesday, so there's no hope for me, not for a while anyway😏 if you read through you'll see just about every body gets hardly any sleep, you do kinda get used to it😀 good luck, hope it improves.
    • Posted

Thanks sue , kind of dreading it, as the other one isn't fantastic my any means, but at the same time, I can't do anything without being in constant pain with the othe one, so it's a bit of a sorry state of affairs to be honest, but there you go, 
  • Posted

Every Dr seems to have a different theory on the red hose. Some don't use them at all and some want 1 the time. My surgeon says take the off at night and when I nap a during the day. He prefers thigh high but they didn't have any the day of surgery so o 've just worn. Over the calc. Normally 6 weeks but due to the way I'm healing. I'm done with them after a month. He either has a well defined strategy or he's terribly forgetful.

• Posted

Oh Sue, I so remember those early days. I remember when someone told me that there would be a big shift between weeks 3 and 4, it gave me something to look forward too. And it was true. Until then, it was the equivalent of hell. All I can say is ice is a gift from heaven and there is no such thing as too much of it.
  • Posted

I know it might not seem like it now but it will get better. I am 21 weeks post op and due for further surgery in 10 days as my leg isn't straight. I am still suffering with pain because of the angle of my leg but I can cope with it now as I know it's for the best. In the weeks following surgery I was incredibly low, I think we've all been through it but I can now sleep, which really helps.

I found I could sleep better on the couch in the early weeks. I was also put on Amitriptolyne for nerve pain which helped me as it made me drowsy. I didn't have to wear stockings which I'm grateful for as my leg was incredibly bruised and swollen, the bruises stayed for 4 weeks. My hospital didn't give anyone stockings, not sure why. The only thing I left hospital with were blood clot prevention injections. I'd totally forgotten about them until now. I hated having to inject myself each day.

Try not to put pressure on yourself to sleep. I found once I stopped worrying about it, it got better. My iPad became my best friend. Water and ice should be your companions too. Sleep throughout the day whenever you can. It WILL improve, I promise.

• Posted

Hi Sue,

Sleeping is difficult and the best way to deal with it is not to worry about it. Go to bed with books, papers, magazines and an ipad. Get some books on tape from the library, ( send a friend or hubby to pick these up.) Have plenty of ice and pain meds. You will move through this stage, its a bit like having a new baby. I know you never thought you would have another one at this time in your life, Instead you have a new knee which needs just as much discomfort and care,

Take care and know that this too will pass. 

• Posted

I had TKR 3 years ago. I don't remember having stockings.

I had great difficulty sleeping afterwards.

Even now 3 years later I still wake up almost every night (though not in pain anymore) which I never used to do.

I have always been such a good sleeper and this came as a complete surprise to me.

Believe me it does get better.

Take care and keep in touch

Praying for you

Love Sarah xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.