11 days clean of Mirtazapine Sleep Disturbances

Posted , 4 users are following.

After 5 weeks on mirtazapine, stopped cold turkey and the daytime symptoms are really diminishing each daysmile. Having no trouble getting to sleep, just trouble staying asleep, im waking up every 3 hours with my head feeling really rough and im having nightmares. How long will this last?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Liam what dose of mirt are you on?I'm on 30mg this will be my third week thinking of coming off them myself tbh I wont be going off them cold turkey ill be tapering off them as withdrawals are very survier also id get some advise off your chemist good look
    • Posted

Was on 30mg,i strongly advise you to come off them.

Artificial happiness is absolutely wrong, i was wrong not to taper but i just wanted rid of the awful poison asap. Thanks kathleen

• Posted

Hard to say, Liam - but since the daytime symptoms have diminished already, hopefully the sleep distirubance won't last too long.  You weren't on them very long so hopefully your system will adapt back soon enough.  People frequently lose their sleep when coming off.

I had nightmares with withdrawal symptoms, too.  If it gets really bad, you can always reinstate a tiny amount and then go slow from there.  What dose did you jump off from?  How long have you been off now?

• Posted

Hi betsy, i went from 30 > 22.5 > 15 > 7.5 milligram to nothing all in the space of 7 days. Really fast taper, which probably wasn't actually a taper lol. Took my last tablet on the 6th February 
    • Posted

Ok, true, that was essentially a cold turkey.  If it gets really bad, you can reinstate 7.5 mg and wait at least four days for it to kick in.  If that doesn't do it then you can go up a little more.  I get it, wanting to get the poison out!  You just have to listen to your nervous system.  Some are strong and can muscle through, while others don't have the temperament to handle that, so reinstating and going the slow route is definitely preferable for them.  Don't think it means you are any less of a man if you cave :-)  Withdrawal can be brutal but for some not a problem.
  • Posted

Hi Liam

You might want to support your sleep, short term, with Phenergen, provided you aren't asthmatic, or have an alergy to it.  It is an over the counter med, maybe have a read up.

I hope you will be able to get your sleep patten back pdq, such a bad thing to happen when all youu were doing was trying to help your well being in the first place.

Wishing you well.

• Posted

Hello, yeah will give it a read as i always do with new drugssmile.

The thing is, before i asked my doctor for mirtazapine i was being ignorant to the negative side of anti depressants. Refusing to read, watch videos about withdrawal or even discuss on forum like this before using it. Last week was the most difficult week of my life and i have learnt an unnecessary lesson.

• Posted

Sounds awful, cold turkey can be so cruel and frightening, it is hard for people to realise what it can do.  So do you feel a little better this week than you did last week Liam?  5 weeks wasn't very long to be on Mirt', some can get away with a quicker stop others struggle, it's too bad you are the latter.

If you can get some sleep with the Phenergen (they give it to children so it's not a heavy drug) speak to your chemist, most chemists do it, others not, ask around.  Yeh if you can get some sleep you will seem to pick up, good day bad day, etc.  

3 litres of water a day, any drinks, maybe if sickness take some other form of histamine block, like non drowsy Piriton ~ Mirt has a huge histamine block and once this is whipped away nausea can become a problem.  

Sounds awful, cold turkey can be so cruel and frightening, it is hard for people to realise what it can do.  So do you feel a little better this week than you did last week Liam?  5 weeks wasn't very long to be on Mirt', some can get away with a quicker stop others struggle, it's too bad you are the latter.

If you can get some sleep with the Phenergen (they give it to children so it's not a heavy drug) speak to your chemist, most chemists do it, others not, ask around.  Yeh if you can get some sleep you will seem to pick up, good day bad day, etc.  

3 litres of water a day, any drinks, maybe if sickness take some other form of histamine block, like non drowsy Piriton ~ Mirt has a huge histamine block and once this is whipped away nausea can become a problem.  

Thinking of you Liam

• Posted

Went to boots today and got 25mg phenergen, not planning on using it longer than 6 days if it makes me really drowsy. Phenergen is anti nausea right? Yeah good point about drinking water, i drink two or three bottles a day and ive stopped eating saturated foods, white bread and pretty much all fatty foods because my mood is so inconsistent as it is.

Feeling more like a human again, my anxiety is back though but i would rather have generalised anxiety disorder than be depressed any day of the week. Thanks calmer

• Posted

Yes it is anti nausea, and also used to aid sleep.  It contains a histamine block & replicates the Mirt' action as some people suffer once the Mirt has gone.

It helps to treat symptoms of anxiety insomnia or nausea/stomach 

For some this might be insignificant. For others it's a big problem.

The phenergan should have no WD and only needed for a week or two.

Glad you're feeling a little better, and I hope it continues, altho' folks say the wd comes in waves, couple of good days then an iffy one, if this happens just know it will pass smile

• Posted

Phenergan was a disaster im afraid, everything is worth a try but here is what happened. I took a 25mg pill at 23:00 but already feeling tired (my problem was staying asleep, not falling asleep). 5 minutes after, i started to get bad anxiety panic symptoms because i instantly developed a phobia of being drowsy and anxious at the same time. It kicked in 40 minutes later and exactly that happened, i was extremely drowsy at the same time as trembling with fear and the rest of the anxiety symptoms.

My mum slept downstairs on one sofa and i was on the other sofa because she was talking me through the anxiety which helped but i was still trembling. So i took 0.25mg clonazepam and fell asleep 30 minutes later, today she told me during my sleep i climbed up the wall and shouted "spiders!" which is common with antihistamines because alot of people reported these experiences on erowid. 

• Posted

Sorry to read of your experience last night.  The Phenergen would take longer than 5 minutes to give any reaction so I think you must have been fearful of what might happen which did bring on fear/panic which in turn gave you an adrenalin rush & anxiety, it sounds awful.

I am not familiar with erowid but took a quick look, best to not overthink and read everything that is out there because you may make yourself even more fearful !

With cold turkey the worst symptom is insomnia, not falling asleep but staying asleep, which is what you have.  Many have found relief with Phenergen, others prefer a Benzo like the Clonazepam that you speak of.  I would think, as you don't have any fear of the Clon, that your doctor would be willing to support your withdrawal with this and may well be willing to give you some to tide you over.  Did you say you were suing your Mums?  

Some people in WD experience nasty effects like the sleep walking/walking up the wall, fear of fears as thhey call it.  I chose to wd slowly from Mirt' to avoid such symptoms.  

So how long is it now since your last Mirtazapine?  I read of people reinstating as a last resort but you have stated you started to feel better above, although usually its like the waves, good days some bad days.  Folk have said their symptoms improve immediately on reinstating, I wonder if going to 7.5 mg of Mirt would be better afterall, then do a very slow wd once stabilised.  Wish we had a crystal ball sometimes, it's hard to get the balance right.

But yes, staying asleep when withdrawing from Mirt' is one of the biggest hurdles to overcome, it sometimes last for a few weeks, sometimes more.  But sleep will return, just have to take it easy meanwhile.

• Posted

Have you looked at the Honest Guys for relaxation, maybe in the night when you can't return to sleep?  - just a thought, your sleep will come back, it just takes time.  

I know its easier said than done, but try not to worry about it as it has a way of making it worse. 

• Posted

The clonazepam are my mums, she is on 0.25mg once a night for stress.

Will have a look at honest guys, im also going to download an app called audible and listen to some stories on anxiety. 14 days since my last mirtazapine, my problem now is im not going out exercising enough because im anxious. Will resume tonight with a jog around my estate because my depth of sleep is alot better when ive done exercise for sure

• Posted

Brilliant you jog ... that is the best thing for anxiety.  Some say the anxiety is worse in the mornings and it subsides, I wonder if exercise in the monring too would aleviate it, even a power walk.

If you can "get to sleep" ok but not "back to sleep" (as is the biggest wd symptom) if it might be best to take the clonazepam when you wake?  Just a thought.

smile

• Posted

Last night i had a great sleep, the jog really helped. I made a deal with myself, everytime i use a benzo i must make up for it by at least 30 minutes of aerobic exercise to even out my gaba brain chemical again.

Also im taking omega3, vitaminD3 and lithium. Great supplements 

• Posted

Great news, I bet you feel loads better.

How long have you been taking Lithium?  

Hope you sleep well tonight too.

Best wishes

• Posted

Been taking lithium for just over a week, my sleep last night was quite rough, inbetween minor and moderate intensity. Like you said though, you get days and nights completely fine and nights which are iffy. Also quite anxious about going to college so i took a propranolol 10mg this morning before going, harmless drug.
    • Posted

Yes Propranalol is an easy one.   What year are you at college?  I hope it went well for you.

I don't know anything about Lithium.

Have you thought of doing a CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy) course?  I did it, you will gain great confidence with this, it has been proven to beat AD's in blind test trials.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Year 3 of college sport science, i love being active so it is the right course for mesmile. Had a look at CBT on youtube, it is interesting. My sleep last night was good and bad, had a nightmare and woke up at 4AM, fell back asleep and had a nice dream. Lithium has helped millions in the past with mania  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_(medication)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.