11 days post MVD

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone, well I had my operation 11 days ago and I'm doing great! I don't

know why I was so worried. When I came round the first thing I did was touch

my face and there was absolutely no pain at all. I managed the post operation

positional and slight headaches with paracetamol. I could have gone home

on day 3 but my balance wasn't as good but that is down to a different condition

I've got one slight numb patch over my eye, but that is expected to wear off. I was

eating and drinking normally again 4 hours post op, and really enjoyed a crunchy

apple for the first time in a long time with no pain!. My stitches came out yesterday

I'm still taking Carbamazepine but that is due to be weaned gradually over the

coming months because I'm on such a high dose. I'm getting an odd flash

here and there but certainly not on the scale and intensity that they were. In

fact it's little more than a niggle. I was told to expect that until everything settles

down. So, for anyone who is anxious or worried, like I was, you don't need to be.

I feel at long last that I've actually got my life back! I had my operation at the

Walton Centre in Liverpool

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

EXCELLENT news. It's always great to hear a success story. Before long, you won't even know you had the operation. All of the spots will grow back in and all you'll feel is the indent in your head if they left you with one (I have one).

• Posted

Such wonderful news. I am so happy for you. Keeps us informed as to your continued progress.
    • Posted

Wavedance.....that has got to be an awesome feeling. You have given me hope and I imagine a lot of other folks on this forum have been given the same. 😊

• Posted

Wow! That's great news! Thrilled that the operation went really well. Did professor Eldridge do the op?

Paula x

• Posted

Congratulations! Getting off those meds is almost better than getting rid of the pain. Over the next few months, your brain will return to "full strength". It almost feels like a superpower at first. LOL

• Posted

I think you're right on that one Clint! I can't wait to be off them. It

seems crazy still being on them, but that's the last little bit to deal

with now, but even they don't seem to be making me feel as

dopey and zombie like as they did. Must be all the increased positivity

and lack of pain that's doing it!

• Posted

Hi wavedancer

That is brilliant feedback - thank you so much for sharing it with us.

I've no idea if I shall eventually need an operation but your outcome is extremely encouraging. Magic news! Really happy for you and best wishes for a complete recovery! Colin ( I seem to have a rival writing to you! )

• Posted

Hi Colin, Thank you, and if you ever do need an MVD remember

my post and go for it!

• Posted

Yes you do. An American Colin named after the WWII bomber pilot Colin Kelly. I'm rather fond of the name!

• Posted

Hello American Colin   Good to hear from you. I thought that might trigger a response! Yes, I feel good about my name, too and even more so now I know something about Colin Purdie Kelly. A brief bit of research tells me we are both named after a very special guy. A DFC  DSC with streets, schools and even ships named after him! Colin Powell fades into insignifance in comparison and he even has this strange pronunciation, too!

So what's your TN story? When you think of the hell our fathers and grandfathers went through in 2 WWs, we've got it easy!! Col from the UK

• Posted

Colin Powell allowed himself to be called "colon" because he became tired of correcting the mispronunciation. Not this Colin. I always correct folks as I am proud of my name and rarely meet other Colins. I'm sure that Colin is an older UK name and it seems that most of the Colins I have met are British ( English, Irish or Scotch) but the Americans I meet with the name are always Collin. That double 'L' is a last name as far as my understanding goes.

As far as TN, diagnosed with right side TN about 5 years ago in my mid 30's, had a glycerol injection that didn't help, gamma knife worked for about 6 months, maybe less, and finally had an MVD in Jund of 2016. Pain free ever since. I was lucky because I had not one, but 2 arteries sitting on my nerve. OF course I'm being sarcastic, but I certianly hope that 2 of them does not bode a return of the pain in several years.

But I will always have my name no matter what happens TN-wise. Haha!

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your history of treatments leading up to a successful operation. No, your humour wasn't wasted on me! I'm really pleased to read that my namesake is pain-free and long may this be the case, my friend!

One often reads about subscribers experiences with one of these procedures but rarely the lot. That's most helpful and encouraging as you've had a good outcome with the MVD procedure.

It was also interesting to read why CP chose to alter the pronunciation of his name, it was clearly taken after some considerable deliberation and wasn't simply a 'gut' reaction. My joke!

I'll let you know how my medication works out and thanks again for sharing your stuff. Colin 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.