11 days post MVD

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone, well I had my operation 11 days ago and I'm doing great! I don't

know why I was so worried. When I came round the first thing I did was touch

my face and there was absolutely no pain at all. I managed the post operation

positional and slight headaches with paracetamol. I could have gone home

on day 3 but my balance wasn't as good but that is down to a different condition

I've got one slight numb patch over my eye, but that is expected to wear off. I was

eating and drinking normally again 4 hours post op, and really enjoyed a crunchy

apple for the first time in a long time with no pain!. My stitches came out yesterday

I'm still taking Carbamazepine but that is due to be weaned gradually over the

coming months because I'm on such a high dose. I'm getting an odd flash

here and there but certainly not on the scale and intensity that they were. In

fact it's little more than a niggle. I was told to expect that until everything settles

down. So, for anyone who is anxious or worried, like I was, you don't need to be.

I feel at long last that I've actually got my life back! I had my operation at the

Walton Centre in Liverpool

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Rock On WaveDancer!

Very many congratulations to you (and your surgical team) for this wonderful outcome.

Just seen your posting as I've been out of touch a bit with work and then having my pre-admission session etc. I go in for MVD to Addenbrooke's Cambridge at 07:00hr on Thursday the 9th and hoping to have a good outcome like you. My man is Robert Macfarlane and I think he's done successful MVDs for a few people on this site before. I'm really looking forward to being pain free and eating and talking loudly at lectures and not having a brain full of cotton wool and not being exhausted with this high dose Carbamazepine and sleeping without detailed anxiety dreams and being sociable with friends etc etc........... Can't wait.

Your story has added to build up my confidence to go ahead with this as I've been a bit apprehensive lately. So, thank you WaveDancer for that.

Please keep in touch with your progress and I will do the same of course.

Keep safe

Cheers

Big D

• Posted

Best wishes for Thursday the 9th - I know the hospital well!

I'll be thinking of you when I put the kettle on and get ready for my students!

Take care, Big D

Colin from Kent

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.