11 days vomiting unable to keep food or water down

Posted , 8 users are following.

Im in desperate need of help! My girlfriend has been extremely sick for 11 days now, after countless trips to A and E and doctors surgeries we are being fobbed off every time, her bloods and tests all come back normal and she is just keeping enough water down to stay hydrated but in a lot of pain and vomiting 20 or more times per day, losing weight quickly! As she is just* hydrated the hospital wont or cant do anything, they assume because bloods etc come back normal she is ok, Im absolutely disgusted they wont keep her in and im lost now, GP tells us to go back to A and E who inturn send us back to GP and im not sure how much more of this we can all take. Any help advice welcome 😞

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Andrew, are you in the us?  Your girlfriend is in need of a ct scan of her abdomen, which doesn't sound like she's had.  Can you call an ambulance which in the us gives you more service at the hospital. She needs her gallbladder checked for stones, an ultra sound. It's going on too long.  I can't begin to guess what's wrong and hope you find her answer soon.  Good luck zap

• Posted

Thanks Zap! We live in the UK and have requested scans etc however as her bloods come back clear they see no use in scanning her, they want to refer her to have a camera down the throat but we have been advised this could take 5 weeks for an apointment. Its gotten that bad she has thought about not drinking or eating to become dehydrated to force them to actually do something, this might sound extreme but thats how bad this situation is.
    • Posted

Hi Andrew, how ironic, I'm having an endoscopy tomorrow. I've been having stomach problems for a while. Nausea sometimes, but not throwing up.  Does she have an ulcer, I wonder.  The situation sounds bad. I don't know if her not eating or drinking is a good idea. It could mess with your kidneys and heart. How about another hospital in another city with a fresh set of eyes.  Is that possible?  I don't know what to say.  All I know is she needs help asap. Please keep me posted as to what the outcome is.  Zap

• Posted

Another hospital is a possibility, I agree that not eating or drinking is not a good idea but thats how bad this situation is, we've tried everything now and have run out of options! I hope everything goes well for you tomorrow.

• Posted

Hi Andrew go to a different hospital and don't tell them anything about the other hospital. They might call.  Just tell them the story of how long and act stupid. They like stupid.  If you give too much info, like from the other hospitals, they get p****d.  Been there.  Also, why hasn't anyone given her an anti-nausea med?  There's Zofran, Emend, Kytril, these are given to people who are going through chemo. They work.  Somethings gotta give.

• Posted

Hi Andrew the more I think about it, the more , if it was me, go to a different hospital.  Act like its the first visit for this condition.  Tell them at first you thought it was just a stomach bug or food poisoning. But now it's lasted too long and you're both scared. She needs to cry. In the meantime. You gotta replace her electrolytes.  Pedialite which is for babies, in us comes in liquid like juice, also flavors.  Or Gatorade.  At the very least she should be given Compazine for the nausea. Thanks for wishing me well tomorrow.  Keep me posted. Zap

• Posted

Hi Zap, shes been given 6 anti sickness meds including compazine straight into the body and she vommited 20 mins later nothing is working. We are going to another hospital tomorrow, she is now getting shooting pains etc and stomach burning from throwing up so much.
    • Posted

Hi Andrew you mean they gave her Compazine in an iv drip?  Did you mention her electrolytes?  Did they?  Compazine isn't very strong on the anti nausea chain of drugs.  My vote goes to Zofran or Emend.  They are for cancer people on chemo and they work well.  Where are the pains?  Groin, back, stomach?  Could it be a kidney stone?  They're tricky.  And they do make you throw up. She still needs to stay hydrated every 30 minutes, she could go into shock. Watch her closely.  You have an emergency on your hands. Don't even sleep if at all possible.  She needs to be monitored.  Is she throwing up green?  That would be bile, indicating gallbladder.  I just don't know. Go to the hospital as early as you can.  Good luck. Zap

• Posted

Yes through an IV drip, they have tried 3 anti sickness meds through the drip and the rest are tablets, Im pretty sure the stomach pains which are just below her ribs are a result of vommiting so much every day, the colour of the vomit depends on timing ie after meals its all food coming back up, If its later on when stomach is empty its all bile, Not sure about it being an emergency as this has happened every day since Wednesday 12th of July and we have just had to deal with it, left no option after 12 trips to doctors and hospitals have turned up a waste of time. Hopefully we get it resolved, the hospital seem to just hope this stops but shes going to be a bag of bones or collapse by then.
    • Posted

Hi Andrew someone needs to find the source of this. I know how they blow you off, I've been in your shoes many times.  I have a gastric ulcer and my pain is always under my left rib cage. I do get nauseous but don't throw up.  That's what I'm having the endoscopy for tomorrow.  I hope the answer comes, as frustrating as it is, you have to beat down the right door. Take care of her, sounds like you're doing a good job. She's lucky to have you.  Keep me posted Zap

• Posted

Thanks Zap, I wont rest until they get this sorted. Good luck for tomorrow and I will let you know what happens.
    • Posted

Thanks Andrew, good luck to you guys too.  Just remember, be your own advocate. Sounds like you've got that part down. It never ceases to amaze me how many bozo Drs I've come across.  When I get a good one, smart, interested, engaging, I'm almost speechless.  I guess there's good and bad in every profession. Zap

• Posted

Hi Zap, How was the camera down the throat? Silly question i know. We have just got home from 8 hours at A and E, were not much further forward but have an appointment for tomorrow, they carried out an xray on the stomach that showed nothing except a huge curv of the spine which my partner had no idea about but on the vommiting side nothing new! Tried some more anti sickness meds but they dont seem to work.
    • Posted

Hi Andrew the endoscopy went well.  No ulcer!  I'm shocked.  Gotta wait for the pathology report in about  2 weeks.  I think your girlfriend needs to have what I have. An X-ray of the stomach is not much use unless you mean  a ct scan, which I don't think you're talking about. Wtf already?  I've never heard of anything like this. Have you?  I'm so curious as to what it could be. You both must be exhausted. 

• Posted

Glad everything went well for you! Yes we are so exausted. No it was just a standard Xray but im hoping we get an endoscopy tomorrow. We still have no idea whats going on.
    • Posted

Andrew an endoscopy will tell a lot.  No food or liquid after midnight if you have an endoscopy. Did they tell you that?  I can't believe what a mess you have going on. It's horrible.  Keep me posted.  Zap

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.