11 months post op

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all,

11 months post op today for A&P repairs.

Repairs are holding up, interior walls thickened up through using estriol. Occasional problems due to scar tissue; can be nippy and painful so still have to be careful not to rush about or overstretch when walking.

Doing about 30 each of fast and long hold pelvic floor exercises per day. Not managing my swimming just now but have started some low impact exercise at home and gently building it up to try and gently work the scar tissue.

Not managing the long faster paced walks that I was doing after 1st repair, but then posterior repair can take longer to recover from and I went back to work much quicker this time so maybe I didn't take long enough out this time, so much slower progress.

Still only doing my 2 x 5 hour contract shifts, most overtime only available on self's can area and can't take the long time on my feet. Would ask for any shifts coming up on seat at checkouts but most seats broken or unsuitable so waiting for new seats before pushing for extra shifts.

Managing most things around the house but avoiding any heavy spring cleaning, managing short periods of hoeing in garden but again nothing heavy; bit of a pain trying to avoid bending too often.

Toilet wise all systems working as they should, still wear a thin pad at work or going out 'just in case' but no accidents at all.

Occasionally get that dull achy pain deep in vag... towards the back, not really sure what it is except get it when been on my feet more than couple of hours, sitting too long, or if lifted something too heavy. It's the things that you would normally class as not light but not particularly heavy; you think you'll be OK and turns out it'd heavier than you think.

I suppose I am lucky that these repairs are good especially as the say 2nd repairs have less chance of success. I also have to remember that I am coming up for 57 and been through menopause therefor getting older and as my peers keep reminding me even they can't do as much as they would like to. I'm so use to being able to start and finish projects in a no-time , and going for a short walk meant a good few miles.

So suppose I really just have to accept a more sedentary lifestyle and do a little bit of everything now and again.

Anyway hope you are all well and recovering well, remember to keep up with PF exercises. Soon be spring and hopefully some warm sun.

Hope everyone awaiting surgery receives their date soon.

Happy healing,

Phyl, x ?💖

3 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It is nice to read positive posts like yours Phyl, as there's alot of negativity about these kind of operations. I think I overdo it some days but I'm trying not to. I'm very lucky that I'm a stay at home mum & work from home for my husband which is a desk job involving a couple of hours each day max. Im a bit obsessed when it comes to cleaning & spend a lot of time doing just that as well as preparing dinner & rushing around after my little girl.

• Posted

Your right there is too much negativity, but not just on here. I remember when I first realized I had bad prolapse that was going to probably need surgery. I researched the Web including the use of mesh.

I still had access to research sites at university and was pretty shocked, then looked up NHS on the Web; I sat crying my eyes out couldn't believe that in extreme cases when some ladies older and widowed they sew you up. Felt like the end of my life.

Anyway learned so much more from Matron on this site and much more positive, thank goodness.

X

• Posted

I worried after reading several websites but they mainly seemed to be American sites that use different mesh. My surgeon was and has been so positive thankfully x
    • Posted

I think the main problem is getting good information so that we can make good informed choices, and getting good general informative post op advice that covers most repair surgery.

I don't agree at all with the 6-8 weeks rscovery it's definitely not realistic for the majority of ladies who often have went through the menopause by the time they need repairs and take longer to recover.

X

• Posted

Exactly that, I realised that by reading posts on here. I'm 38 and haven't yet started the menopause. Also to be honest I've felt pretty amazing after my operation unlike some poor ladies on here. It's because of this I'm having to remind myself not to dmeto much x

• Posted

Try that again... I'm trying to remind myself not to do to much x

• Posted

Yes, this site is invaluable. Such a good source of info and a good reminder not to overdo things. I found that because we are resting most of the early weeks we feel great but it's completely different once back at work and unable to go sit down when needed and so easy to overdo things. Thing is when we overdo things it takes much longer to recover.

Anyway its good when the ladies updates us on recovery and keeps us all better informed.

X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.