11 weeks and feeling low

Posted , 14 users are following.

11 weeks now and although I have obviously made progress I still have a way to go before being fit for work. I went shopping with my partner on Saturday and quickly overdid the walking. My leg was swollen and sore by the eve and put my progress into perspective. What seems to be improving indoors is small fry out of doors. I have to admit that its really getting me down. It seems endless. Especially when others are at the gym, leaping out of trucks etc. I am losing my motivation to exercise and am just moping about.

1 like, 48 replies

48 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sally - Nobody ever tells us exactly what the TKR surgery does to us or affects us.  I am 13 weeks post op.  Most of the time I'm fine, but there are moments that my knee feels extremely heavy and other times it feels achy and I wonder if it will ever feel good.
  • Posted

Sally...  hope you can get out and just walk in smaller increments.  There is a gentleman on this thread that developed a staph infection and has to go back in and get the new knee removed and then they put in a spacer? and flush with anti-biotics and on and on.  I read that and thought...      I'm fine.    Best of luck to you!  I'm American and we want it fixed today by God (OK, not my real attitude but that is the perception).  I'm hoping this experience teaches me patience.  And I hope it does so right this minute!     Stay loose.

Don

• Posted

Hi Sally, I feel exactly as you do. And it's safe to say we are not alone! I am almost 10 weeks and like you doing fairly well. Today with my wife we went shopping. Only out for 2 hours. Now I'm suffering. My knee Is stiff and sore. Its not moving as well. I'm sure tomorrow will be different and hopefully will be back on track. And so will you. I'm aiming for good times by June as my son gets married. I hope to be Dan cing.  I looked at dvd of our daughters wedding last April and I limped all night. This years going to be different. Yes our knees are so variable day by day. We will all get there. Keep strong.

RObert

• Posted

Hang in there. We all get down days. One day my poor husband came home from work and as soon as he opend the door and spoke I started to cry and yell, a little bit. "I'm going crazy cooped up in the house, I can't do this and can't do that, I feel like I'm in prison" what a sin, he was apologizing to me, he has been an angel. You know, we need to realize that everyone is different. We all heal differently. I would get upset because I wasn't doing as well as a friend of a friend, etc. it's winter here and everything is ice covered. I had freedom today when I drove and did my own errands and cooked dinner. yippee! I'm 11 wks plus a day or so too.ntis all good, Sally. 

Lots are worse of than us, dear. Have yourself a glass of wine! 

• Posted

Thanks everyone! I know it will improve I'm just going stir crazy. I can start back at the gym 1st march so that will be good. I plan to use the pool and steam room!
    • Posted

I am 11 weeks now and indoor mobility is better than before the op, but the distance I can do outdoors and the amount of standing around is no better. I think we have to slowly develop more stamina as all the muscles have wasted through disuse. I try to walk that little bit further each day, but it is certainly not the long distances I hope for eventually.
    • Posted

Yes I agree, we need to build stamina and I am sure its just maintaining that determination that will see us through this. I was just having a low moment yesterday but I am feeling more positive this morning! I have arranged coffee with a friend on friday so something to look forward to!
  • Posted

In your case, as with anyone who has undergone surgery the secret with exercise is little and often.

If you overdo it you will pay the price.

The time will come when you too can get back to the Gym, but in the meanwhile please do not expect too much of yourself. 

• Posted

Sx weeks now, and a lot worse than I was at five weeks. . .it just seems to go up and down.  We are all going to need a lot of perseverance and patience I'm afraid! I've heard from lots of people that you can't expect anything like normal function until six months, so better to try and stop moping. . and keep exercising!  Easier said than done, isn't it!
  • Posted

I agree with everyone, nearly 13 weeks and feel I am going backwards.  My leg feels like a dead weight and is sore and so tight.   The scar feels like it wants to burst own and is raised and red.   I was thinking this morning when am I ever going to be normal again.  I too mope around, not wanting to go out even.   Weather here isn't good either and we are due for more bad weather, so no incentive to go out.   I still feel, should I have had this done?  
    • Posted

Hello Susan

I can relate to the dead weight feeling. So cold and windy I couldnt face going out. I have decided this morning that I will try to get my partnrer to take me out in the car more often so I can get my exercise somewhere different than up and down the road outside! Half the problem is that I have no income while I am off work and I am draining my meagre savings. However we are masters of our own destiny and Susan we must keep trying so keep in touch and lets celebrate little successes.

• Posted

Yes that's a good idea Sally to walk somewhere new.  My part er works part time so I usually walk about 1.5 miles to meet him and then get a ride back a couple of times a week.  Don't know about you but it gets lonely walking by yourself.  I have a lovely park nearby but would feel too vulnerable walking around there on my own.  At these times I wish I had a dog!  I have just started driving and can't even be bothered to go out window shopping.  You are right about having control ourselves - I am definitely going out today!...
    • Posted

Sally,  I understand both the cabin fever and going thru $$ while not being able to work feeling and both are depressing.  This is 5 weeks out starting yesterday.  I can't drive due to epilepsy but really have grown to like getting around on my bicycle and or public transport.  I'm despondent when I can't just jump on the bike for the 2 mile ride to library and store etc...  Yesterday was sunny and I finally decided I really needed to clean and organize my little stand alone apt.  The leg coorperated for the most part and I got a bit done, and that felt good. It is quickly becoming apparent to me that this is a mental and emotional fight as well as physical.   To read these comments and know there are a bunch of us out there going through similar things helps me stay focused.  Best of luck to you and get out when you can. My therapist said it is usually around 6 months for people to reach the point where the  knee is fading into the background depending on the individual of course.
    • Posted

You described me precisely - I am also 13 weeks and feel the same.  Of course, arthritis has nearly taken over my entire body so it doesn't help to have swollen fingers and joints.  I never expected to feel so old at the age of 62, but then again since my Mother died at 59 I never expected to live this long either!
    • Posted

Sorry to hear about your arthritis, that s bad news.  Do you think that perhaps two more weeks down the line things will change again? That is how it seems to go with me.  I am 64 and just retired from a fulltime job in the NHS.  I can honestly say I don't miss it though.   Too busy feeling sorry for myself I think.   Let's hope for better weather for all of us.   It will be better for your joints I sm sure.  
    • Posted

Oh Susan, I am sure things will change.  It is constantly revolving - better, not so good, better, and so on.  Yes, warmer weather will definitely help with the arthritis.  I have a Dr appointment tomorrow to see if anything can be done for the swelling and pain.  If not, I'll deal with it and just keep on keeping on.  Please find something to occupy your mind and body - it will help eliminate feeling sorry for yourself.  I know if I don't get busy doing something I could just sit and mope, almost to the point of tears.  But, I have to remember that I am in so much better shape than many others and that makes me stop my pity party and get busy.  
    • Posted

Hello Susan - I'm 64 too - & always considered myself a "young" 64 - this TKR (which I was longing for after pain for 20+ years) has aged me so much. I am now at 17 weeks - my leg feels tight & heavy, & there is a permanant feeling of discomfort, bordering on pain. I have swollen "pockets" around the knee, restricting movement, so I am going to ring the centre where it was done tomorrow (as both my physio & GP have asked me to do!!) & ask them to look at it. Will this never end??

Veronica

• Posted

Snap Veronica - at 13 weeks, this tightness around the knee is awful.  Hopefully when you have the swelling looked at things may get easier.  I never thought it would be like this.  I had 10 years of psin and thought this would be the answer.   I hope eventually it will be.  I must admit after giving up work last month I was looking forward to bring able to do things - I cant, which is so annoying.  Let's hope things look up for us all. Good luck 
    • Posted

I'm seventy, and feel ten years older since this operation!  I hope in the end it will be worth it . . Asked the surgeon today for another prescription and he seemed surprised i wanted them after six weeks. . He's done tousands of knee operations. you would think he would know by now!  Until he has one himself, I suppose he'll never really understand will he. . . 

• Posted

I've taken the plunge now, after yet another painful sleepless night, & telephoned the treatment centre. I am being seen at 3pm today - fingers crossed it's just fluid, & not an infection (or worse - that I may need a MUA)!! I was pressurised, as both my physio & GP were going to ring me to make sure I'd made contact with the centre!
    • Posted

I don't think a MUA would be worse than an infection!  an infection in the knee is the very worst scenario possible as far as i understand it. . . so keeping fingers crossed for you that it is just part of the very long and painful healing process!  Perhaps you need some stronger painkillers?  I tried not taking my five O clck one yesterday, as i felt so well . . and by ten O clock I was really suffering again.  I didn't realise just how much the pain killers were doing!  Keep us up to date with what you learn at the centre this afternoon!  fingers crossed . . .
    • Posted

I've just got home. I have seen a doctor, who confirmed there were 3, possibly 4 areas of fluid - hence the extra pain & struggle to walk & bend etc. He conferred with another doctor, who decided I had to have full bloods taken, & go on the apointment list to see the consultant asap as an emergency. Full bloods was fun - my veins go into hiding, so in the end they called in a visiting anaesthetist, who happily did the honours (but out of my hand!) The consultant will have a small amount of fluid taken out to be tested, but that is as far as I know at the moment. 17+ weeks, & still hating every single minute of it.
    • Posted

Hi there, so sorry you are having such a hard time of it, hope it all gets sorted and quickly. The op is bad enough without extra complications. Can't offer any advice just my sympathy. Take care.
    • Posted

My veins are the same . .sually end up taking from the hand after probing around in both arms!  Hope the results come back OK keep us in touch!  Take it easy
    • Posted

Hi, I, now 10 weeks and for me it's a mixed bag at the moment. X Rays are good. Consultant is happy but I'm so so. My bend is 110. Knee is still swollen and hard. The consultant said its sub cutaneous tissue which will go.   I guess my main concern is the ache and muscle fatigue that has appeared . It's slowing me down. Has anyone experienced this?

regards Robert

• Posted

hi robert......the ache and muscle fatigue is normal i think. I don't know how old you are and how active you were before the op. But muscles waste very quickly if you don't use them and ache as you are building them up again. I am 72 and although very active until I had to give up cross country walking 3 years ago, since then my walking diminished to only a quarter mile at most before the op. So Now that I am beginiing to do a bit more because all that arthritic pain has gone, the muscles are complaining. I think we just have to build up strength slowly and surely, never overdoing it, but always doing that little bit more each day.
    • Posted

13 weeks me snd muscle fatigue worse than it as earlier.  My knee and sour rounding hard and swollen too.  When will it end?
    • Posted

Hi Ruthie. I'm 62 and active. Pre op I was swimming 4x per week  and exercising regular in hydro pool. It's weird as it's just now that the aches have struck. I am static biking 4x per week and managing 5mins on cross trainer twice a week . Hopefully this is temporary. Thanks for your response. 

Robert

• Posted

Yep, I'm 12 wks tomorrow and my bend is ant 95. Very tight knee and I have a feeling that is as far as I will get. My Dr says he could put me under and force the bend but I'm running the risk of breaking the femur. I'll take what I have.
    • Posted

Back from seeing the consultant! Had the full works - they were very good so I felt they were taking it seriously. They took bloods again as the count was 6, & they like it to be between 1-5 (no idea what I'm talking about!) - I had 4 x-rays, which showed the knee was in the correct place, but also a dark shadow which could be fluid. So now I have to go to another hospital for an ultrasound, & they are re-starting physio, but concentrating on the upper quad muscles. Onwards & upwards! 18 weeks +2 days since the TKN. By the way, I told him I didn't want the left knee doing, & he said I would change my mind when the right one was working normally! We shall see!
    • Posted

Hope all your tests come back with good results!  I wouldn't go for a second knee operation and I honestly don't think I will change my mind. . but who knows!  If one day I am walking freely, with no pain, and the other knee goes. . . but I don't think so!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.