11 weeks and feeling low

Posted , 14 users are following.

11 weeks now and although I have obviously made progress I still have a way to go before being fit for work. I went shopping with my partner on Saturday and quickly overdid the walking. My leg was swollen and sore by the eve and put my progress into perspective. What seems to be improving indoors is small fry out of doors. I have to admit that its really getting me down. It seems endless. Especially when others are at the gym, leaping out of trucks etc. I am losing my motivation to exercise and am just moping about.

1 like, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I felt exactly the same as you at that stage.i don't think the body wants to go as fast as we do, and don't worry about the gym to much its too early and too much. Give yourself a break for a few days and then start again slowl. I am 61/2 months and have stopped the excersises I know I'm about there now and when I excersise I get bad lower back pain so I'm just not doing it. I am walking well but not too far at a time. Hope this helps 
  • Posted

My walking included a trip to the mall. My husband would bring me and I'd borrow a walker and go. I loved the freedom and the space. I'm walking good now but just short distances. 
  • Posted

The secret Sally is walk short distances and never press yourself too hard, as the TKR surgery can take a good while (maybe 6 months or more) to heal properly.

If you experience swelling or an obvious build-up of fluid or an infection around the area of the wound, then please refer back to your surgeon/doctor as soon as possible.

• Posted

Thank you everyone who has replied. It is great just knowing you are not alone!
  • Posted

Thank you everyone who has replied. It is great just knowing you are not alone!
  • Posted

Hi Sally, it's still early days for you.

I didn't return to work for 4 months and even then it was a phased return. Was back for 4 weeks then got a back spasm and ended up working from home for a week. The Doctor suggested maybe I went back to early and thinking about it another few weeks may have been better. I am telling you this as I don't want you to worry that your improvement seems slow. We all recover at different rates. From day I was told that i shouldn't compare with others as we are all different

• Posted

Thanks Suzanne. I think that will be the reality for me. I will be on my feet all dayso I need to be ready.
  • Posted

Hi Sally

I too will be 11 weeks post op tomorrow. Your post mirrors exactly where I am too :-( I went out shopping with the hubby for clothes yesterday and today I feel in so much pain again. It just goes to show that even if you think you are doing great when at home pottering around, you feel like you can take on the world but when we try to, it knocks us back!

Put your feet up, ice ice ice and rest xxx

Emma

• Posted

At least shopping for clothes is more interesting! I was food shopping!

• Posted

Hi,

I'm 14 wks now and have just had a manipulation on Monday because I couldn't bend and had large pockets of fluid build up! Oh dear god am I sore, achy and even more swollen and even more depressed than I was before! I had a good straight leg before and not I can't get it flat, the pain is terrible.

I wanted to be back at work weeks ago but I haven't managed that yet. I'd just started being able to walk the dogs again and have a bit of freedom but that has been taken away from me now.

I know it should all come at its own pace but it's getting tiring now.

Sorry for the rant xxx

• Posted

Aahhh Julia dont apologies for ranting, you poor thing xx. So sorry you are in pain again.  Let's hope it gets better very soon for you.  were you not bending your leg at all.  Must admit I haven't got a lot of bend but this hash not been suggested.  I wish you a speedy recovery.
    • Posted

Rant as much as you like!  anything to make you feel a bit better. . what a hard road you are having to travel.  I do hope that soon it improves for you.  MUA is a very hard procedure . . . 
    • Posted

My bend was stuck at 62 and I hadn't achieved any more at any point. I've had a lot of previous surgery on my knee and he just thinks ive been unlucky with my scar tissue bonding and fusing to hold the swelling in and hold my bend at that. I have my first Physio tomorrow after MUA, but apprehensive because of the pain. ITs my 35th birthday tomorrow too, feeling a bit low at the minute.

Thank you for your kind wishes xx

• Posted

Happy birthday for tomorrow 🎂👏 hope you get on alright at physio

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.