11 weeks on citalopram

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am almost 12 weeks on 10 mg citalopram. The first few weeks I felt quite chilled out if not quite spaced out. My anxiety was very bad before I took it. I have had a few moments of feeling more relaxed but the last month or so it doesmt seem to have improved any. Im not sleeping which also ismt helping at all. My anxiety feels like its just as bad as before I started taking it. Im gathering there is no room for improvement?? Although im not crying anymore it hasnt done much for the anxiety. Im looking for some reassurance from people who take it that it will get better.... Ive tried other antidepressants and just cant tolerate any at all!

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It will work, but you have it to give it lots and lots of time.  Some people get better quicker than others - it can take months and months.

Recovery comes in patches - good times, bad times, up and down.  Sometimes you'll feel like you're back at the beginning.  You'll notice small steps at first, like you are already with no crying anymore.  Little by little recovery will creep on you.  You are on a relatively low dose so it may take a little longer for you.

Just keep going as you are, but also know that the meds are doing their job even if you can't see it.

K x

• Posted

Thanks for that response katecogs. Do u think I might need an increase? X
    • Posted

Not really sure.  I recovered on 20mg, but after some years I reduced to 10mg and maintained my wellness on that dose.  I imagine your body is building up your dose and could take a little longer.  Increasing your dose will cause temporary side affects again, so something you may not welcome at the moment.  Everyone of course suits different doses.

I'd keep on with the dose you're on.  You can always review it with your doctor in time to come - increasing isn't always the answer.  Let the dose you're on do its thing.

You will get there x

• Posted

I stupidly took 15 mg earlier. I felt terrible with the anxiety! Will it matter if i drop bck to 10 mg again tomorrow?

I have the psychiatrist on wed next week. Im certain she will say increase it but im not sure I should now. X

• Posted

It won't hurt you, and won't be a problem either taking 10mg tomorrow again.  It's not a good idea though to increase without your doctors ok xx.  I know the anxiety can be unbearable at times, I remember it only too well, but this medication will help in time.  Increasing your dose won't give you instant relief, so it's best to wait and speak to your health care professional.

The psychiatrist may well increase your dose, and again you may feel less anxious by then.

Keep going ...... recovery will come xx

• Posted

Hi katecogs how are you...? Feeling fine for almost a week now i think the meds started to kick in , but still there are few anxious moment but tolerable, i am so happy now to see my friends family and excited in the future....

Still at 10mg .....

• Posted

Hi John

Hey thats brilliant!!  So pleased that you're beginning to feel the meds are doing their work now.  Those occasional axious moments will also disappear eventually too.  It will get even better as time goes by.  10mg must be the dose for you - its certainly a dose I always feel good on.

Isn't it great when the future suddenly looks rosy again!

K xx 😄

• Posted

Thanks katecog.... Yes there a few anxious moment but hopefully this will subside and eventually go away forever....hehehe.... Still taking one day at a time... Doing positive talk... Seeing closed friends and relative really help me....i thought i was going to lost my job 2 mos ago because of my anxiety and depression but i was able to make it....

Happy to be alive

GOD IS GOOD

• Posted

Its great when you feel like that - I also say its great being alive.  Having suffered this illness made me really appreciate everything in life.

K x

• Posted

Thanks katecog.... My co worker ,relative see the improvement....im going home tom xcited to see my family...

How is everyone ?

• Posted

Thanks katecogs, i wanted to send picture to you but i really dont know how i can get your email add,, i dont want to be deleted in this forum because of not obeying the rules...
    • Posted

You can private message on this site - the email is at the top of the page near your name.  Not sure if you can send pics as never done that yet.  Will check it out.

K

• Posted

Hi, I have been taking 20 mg for 11 weeks and I have some ok days but then the anxiety spikes up. I have weird head sensations with pressure in my ears. My head feels heavy and foggy at times. I get so anxious from what I am feeling that I get scared that I may pass out. Has anyone felt like this?
    • Posted

Hi Jorge, I get this as well, u have been on Citalopram for 10 months now and although things are much better my anxiety can flare up from time to time, I get the feeling I'm not really in the room or I find it hard to concentrate on conversation, I get foggy head too, my fear is passing out too it's horrible, when my anxiety hits now I just try to keep busy and not

Let it control me, this has taken quite a while to get to where I am, but don't worry this is all normal and very common xx

• Posted

Hi Jorge, I have the exact same thing going on right now (tingling around the sides of my head and ears feel really hot), which is why I googled those symptoms and found this forum.  I have only been on Citalopram for 3 weeks as I'm coming off Wellbutrin (more bad days than good) but reading everything else on this site provides a little comfort. 

• Posted

The first two weeks were pretty rough for me. I have some ok days then the anxiety spikes up. I'm on week 11 and it seems to be getting better.

• Posted

It does take a while for the tablets to kick in about 6 weeks but once they do you will start to feel more like your old self, some days

Won't be a good as others but they are much better than the darker days I'm sure u have experienced recently but rest assured the tablets are worth it xx

• Posted

Yes I agree with the others - its  quite normal having these weird head sensations / ear pressure, annoying though.  This should wear off or lessen, but for a few it doesn't.  Some are more sensitive to the meds, though altering the dose may probably help.

There is nothing to fear about having these weird head feelings - nothing will happen, its just the meds.  I really doubt you'd pass out ...... but ... if you did, nothing bad will happen.  The body's natural reaction after passing out on the floor, is to come round again quickly.  I have low-ish blood pressure, and since a child I've often passed out (not much these days) but there's nothing really unpleasant about it, and your body will always recover itself.  If you're out when it happens, people will always come to your aid anyway and look after you.

Having ok days mixed with anxiety shows the meds are working well, and in time you'll get more and more ok days and less anxious ones until you'll feel good all the time.

K xx

• Posted

Thank you for replying. It's really comforting hearing from another person that can relate to having anxiety.

• Posted

Yes it is comforting isnt't it - people who haven't suffered with anxiety have no idea what it feels like sad

• Posted

The last couple of days I haven't been able to slow down my thoughts. Today marks 11 full weeks on 20 mg. My head feels so strange and that makes my anxiety spike up. Then because I'm so anxious I feel really tired mentally from the racing thoughts. It's very frustrating.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.